ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:12 PM

Default Hello everyone

This is my first post. Best wishes and speedy recoveries to you all!!

My story is I had a Mountain Bike accident 6 months ago. From what I am told I need a two level C45 C56 disc replacement. The MRI and X-rays show I have Cervical instability, segmental kyphosis, spondylosis, degenerative disc disease.

I live on the east coast of the U.S. and initially I thought I would need to go overseas for disc replacement, which frankly was a little unnerving traveling for medical treatment outside my own country, although I know there are great places in Germany, Spain, Switzerland etc. Then I recently went to the Mobi-C website and called the contact number and was told a 2 level is being covered by most carriers. So I am currently filling out the forms for Texas Back and should have them in the mail on Monday. Thank you to this forum for info on Texas Back!

I currently have Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield (Omini Silver). This plan we pay for ourselves, and currently I have to choose to keep the same plan or switch to another by Dec 14th. I'll have to find out which plans are the best to cover this operation in case I need to change to something else, any information would be greatly appreciated.

That's it so far, I'm just currently looking for the best facilities in the U.S. for Disc replacement. I know the hospital for special surgery in New York is rated #1 in the nation for orthopedics. My mother had a hip replaced there and they are good, but I don't know if they are known for Cervical Disc replacements.

Thanks all and best wishes
Jeff
Old 12-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Smile

Hello Jeff and welcome. You seem to be on the right track, just keep digging. And networking among patients here.

Depending on the degree of instability and abnormal movement, you could be contra-indicated for ADR. It depends on the surgeon. In general, the Euro docs are much more permissive. A few are very experienced (like Bertagnoli) in restoring normal kinematics to the spine; which could include fusion, ADR and even other devices. Maybe fusion at one level and an ADR at the other will be probably outcome. The important thing is to find a surgeon that you trust and like -- that's the biggest challenge for most of us.

Others will chime in here and add questions and comments. Good luck with your next steps!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-02-2018, 05:52 AM

Hi Jeff!

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find what you're looking for here. This is an excellent resource, probably the best available, for artificial disc replacement information.

One of the best surgeons in the US is Dr. Rolando Garcia. He co-devloped the latest FDA-approved lumbar prosthetic, but also works with the cervical. I would recommend him because i know he is a stickler for prosthetic placement, which is a huge component of a successful ADR surgery.

He did my lumbar about 2 months ago and it changed my life. You should try calling his office and see about getting some information about his cervical work. I think he only does in-person consultations however.

You mentioned you live on the east coast. He is in Aventura, Florida which is a little outside of Miami. Maybe he is not too far from you? If you're more toward the New York area, the associate doctor that he developed the prosthetic with is in New York City I think.

I can't vouch for that guy, although I have heard good things. I dont remember his name for the life of me, but if I can find it I will let you know.
2017 - Blew out my back on leg-press. MRI showed L5-S-1 disc herniation and grade 1 retrolisthesis.
2018 - Successful ADR surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia using the Activ-L implant.
2019 - In physical therapy for burning in feet, L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge and SI joint pain.
2020 - Getting better with one-on-one PT.

30 - Male - American
Old 12-02-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyBaby View Post
Hi Jeff!

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find what you're looking for here. This is an excellent resource, probably the best available, for artificial disc replacement information.

One of the best surgeons in the US is Dr. Rolando Garcia. He co-devloped the latest FDA-approved lumbar prosthetic, but also works with the cervical. I would recommend him because i know he is a stickler for prosthetic placement, which is a huge component of a successful ADR surgery.

He did my lumbar about 2 months ago and it changed my life. You should try calling his office and see about getting some information about his cervical work. I think he only does in-person consultations however.

You mentioned you live on the east coast. He is in Aventura, Florida which is a little outside of Miami. Maybe he is not too far from you? If you're more toward the New York area, the associate doctor that he developed the prosthetic with is in New York City I think.

I can't vouch for that guy, although I have heard good things. I dont remember his name for the life of me, but if I can find it I will let you know.

Thank You very much for the recommendation! He sounds like a wonderful Surgeon and Humanitarian. I am so happy to hear your back is better.

Thanks Jeff

Last edited by Jeffgotbetter2019; 12-02-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:02 AM

Thanks Jeff, and you're welcome buddy. I wish you the best of luck on your search and I hope you get better soon too. It sounds like you had a pretty nasty accident with your neck.
2017 - Blew out my back on leg-press. MRI showed L5-S-1 disc herniation and grade 1 retrolisthesis.
2018 - Successful ADR surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia using the Activ-L implant.
2019 - In physical therapy for burning in feet, L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge and SI joint pain.

30 - Male - American
Old 12-04-2018, 04:35 PM

Default Texas back Institute

I am currently seeing Dr. Richard Guyer at Texas back Institute in Plano, Texas. I am waiting to get my facet joint shots done and then discogram by Dr Guyer. I am also going to consult Dr. Blumenthal once the result is available. I will post the consultation results once I have a surgical plan. I have received a few high praises for Dr. Guyer from his previous patients.

I am also going to see Dr Huang at HSS in NYC. during Christmas break to see what he says. Anyway, I most likely will stay in the US for my two level ADR.
DiscSeel procedure at L3-S1 in Feb 2018 (no help)
considering ADR at L4-L5 and L5-S1
Old 12-06-2018, 12:03 AM

Sounds good. They do good work there at TBI. Best of luck my friend. Will look forward to hearing about your results.

30 - Male - American
Old 12-06-2018, 12:13 AM

Jeff, I found the other co-developer of the Activ-L. His name is Dr. James Yue and he practices out of New Haven, CT.

He was co-chief of the orthopaedic spine surgery section at the Yale School of Medicine from 2002-2017.

Sounds like he might be worth looking into.

www.jamesyue.com

30 - Male - American
Old 12-06-2018, 10:48 AM

Thank you, The biggest problem is they seem to all take different insurance, which makes it harder when an out of network consultation cost 600 dollars.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:29 PM

Yeah, that's a pain, but it's a small price to pay in the long run. It will be worth it when you find the right doctor.

30 - Male - American