ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:27 PM

Default New member - considering adr

Hi everyone, good morning,

My name is Chris Sturr and I recently joined as of today. Like many of you I am struggling with chronic back pain. I am 49-year old male.

In 2011 I herniated my L5/S1 with several annular tears causing joint pain, lower limb weakness and the onset of neurological pain radiating down both legs. As a result my life as I knew it and active lifestyle took a turn for the worse.

After having managing my condition through PT, Yoga, core strengthening, Regenokine, inversion therapy and cortisone injections I have progressed to the point where surgery is my next-and-only option. The disc is degenerated to the point it looks like a black flat pancake on my most recent MRI. For the past four months I have been meeting with orthopedic spine surgeons and neurosurgeons. I have been told my only two options are: ALIF or and ADR using the ActivL from Aesculap Implant Systems.

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have been told I am a great candidate for ADR since it is only one level and I meet all the other conditions set forth by the insurance company. Unfortunately they continue to deny my claim for coverage, so I am in a battle with them too. I have read the studies and I understand the risks associated with each procedure, but I am inclined to get the ADR given the positive outcomes and reduction in ASD and future surgeries because of the preservation of motion in the back.

Thank you for your time and input.
Chris
Old 02-20-2020, 02:47 AM

Thumbs up One Level

Sturrgeon ,

The great point is you are only dealing with one level , and with a great doctor you can expect to live the rest of your life with little or NO restrictions! IMAGINE THAT!
I would go for it! You can research some great doctors on this forum and actually speak with their patients who have been there and done that.

Good luck !
Old 02-20-2020, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Question

Hi Chris, and welcome. Hey, where are you located? When you can, please see:

https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11053
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-20-2020, 08:22 PM

Thank you @Beaverc. That is what I have been told, although insurance is fighting me on it. /sigh Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:25 PM

Hi Harrison, I am based in San Diego, CA and I found a great orthopedic spine surgeon, Dr. Eastlack out of Scripps Green Hospital. He is Fellowship trained and he successfully fused my neighbor several years ago and he's doing great. I have debated between a neurosurgeon vs a orthopedic surgeon. I really like Dr. Eastlack, his approach and conservative nature. I met with him almost 10 years ago when this first happened and he told me to wait it out and try everything else first before surgery. I was very appreciative of that approach and advice.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:59 PM

Default Regenokine

Wow! Regenokine cost like $10,000 and it's results are theoretical at best. I compare that with stem cell therapy. It's not for everyone. And they dont tell you about how stem cell therapy can cause cancer. And then there is acupuncture...I can't tell you how desperately I wanted acupuncture to work, but for me it did nothing!
Regenokine was about half the cost of ADR. I wish I would have known about ADR before I had my first fusion. Things would be a lot different now.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 02-21-2020, 11:50 AM

Hi Cheryl0331, thanks for your note and I am so sorry for everything you have gone through. My condition pales in comparison to what you've had to endure. As for Regenokine I was thoroughly happy with the results. It brought me 5 years of almost pain free living and a return to an active lifestyle. Yes, it is expensive and out of pocket. Actually total cost was over $10k. I used my whole bonus that year to pay for it, but I believed in the premise and promise. The problem is that it doesn't fix the underlying mechanical failure of the joint. While it will reduce inflammation, and significantly so, it does not repair the joint. The theory is the body will heal, and we all know that once a disc goes, well then, it goes. Hopefully the medical community someday finds a solution that combines healing and regeneration into the equation. I would try stem cell and PRP, but the mechanical issue would not be solved.

I am really hopeful for ADR, but my insurance company has denied me again and I am forced to go to an external review. I will most likely switch to an ALIF procedure given my debilitation to this point.

Thank you for your reply,
Chris
Seeking surgical fix, preferably ADR via the ActivL Implant System
Insurance Status: Denied UHC; currently fighting
Old 02-21-2020, 03:10 PM

Angry I understand your predicament

The insurance companies count on that . They hope you will elect to pay for ADR on your own; which even they know is best, but they figure you will be desperate enough to pay for it and they don't have too.
But not everyone can afford to do it and what they dont understand or care about is how fusion will cost them more money in the long run!
None of us understand what they don't cover ADR. Its exasperating to say the least.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany