ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:49 PM

My heart about sank to my feet this afternoon when I spoke to someone at the Texas Back Institute. At first, when she spoke of how experienced the doctors were there and what great results they have had I was so encouraged. Especially after calling the doctor that I spoke of in my previous message and hearing that the head of surgery scheduling and others in the office at that time didn't know how many ADR procedures the doctor had performed. She thought perhaps a minimum of 20. That didn't sound like enough to me. At any rate, while talking to the person at the Texas Back Institute I mentioned that I had a fusion at L5, S1 ten years ago. She immediately said, "Oh, then you can not have an ADR surgery." All my hopes came crashing down. After boo hooing like a baby for a bit, I got on the phone and spoke to a representative of Stenum Hospital. He said that Dr. Ritter-Lang (sp) does do the surgeries on former fusion patients with great results. In addition, he uses the Maverick.

Please, can anyone give me some feedback in reference to any of this?

Thanks in advance,
Cathy
*Curr
Old 11-14-2006, 12:41 AM

please click on "find" and do a search for Stenum you will find stuff to read and perhaps people to talk to

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 11-14-2006, 06:55 AM

Thanks so much for the idea I'll check into that right away.
Cathy
*Curr
Old 11-14-2006, 08:42 AM

hi Cat. I've been dealing with TBI for over a year and a half and have not heard that you can't have an ADR if you previously had a fusion. The issue never really came up, but we talked about a fusion- ADR combo on 2 level. Are you talking about doing an ADR where you previously had a fusion. Who were you talking to at TBI? My recommendation, make an appt with Dr Zigler, Blumenthal or Rosen there and have them review your case. Don't lose hope. Just be persistent. TBI is one of the best. If it can be done, they'll be doing it.

Bailey.
2006 discogram
2006 - diagnosed DDD - 2/19/07 2 level ADR- on the road to recovery!!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:32 AM

Oh my gosh!!! I just read the feedback about Stenum Hospital. How scary was that? I don't think I want to take my chances there. Thanks for the "heads up" LBP.

In response to Bailey, I soooo hope the lady that I spoke to was in error. To clarify, I already have a fusion at L5, S1 and my current injury is at L4,5. I wonder if I should call back and try to speak to someone else to see if I get the same response. The lady at TBI that I spoke to yesterday did say that I could make an appointment with one of the doctors to see what they think about my situation, but because I am a work comp patient and I live so far away (in Florida) it makes things difficult. I don't even know if wc will approve me going to Texas. Gosh!!!!!All I want is to get my body fixed and have my life back. thanks for your input. Any other advice or info will be greatly appreciated
Cathy
*Curr
Old 11-14-2006, 11:07 AM

Cat,
have you looked into the Kineflex/Charite trial drs? You prob cant get into a trial with a prior fusion...maybe that's what the women was thinking. I mention the trial because it might give you options for other experienced drs...in North Carolina, Louisiana, or Maryland...see http://www.spine-health.com/research...flex01.html#LA

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 11-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Banned

Hey Cat,
You may want to consider some of the other facilities/surgeons in Germany that are extremely noteworthy, such as Dr.Zeegers/Alpha-Klinik and Dr.Bertagnoli ~ there's info on them somewhere hear I believe if you do a search.

I hear a great deal about Dr.Bertagnoli working with patients that have varying presentations and previous fusion being one such, and/or revision surgeries.

I've just had a hybrid surgery approved here by WC~ fusion at L5S1 and ADR at L4 and quite honestly I'm not certain whether a one level ADR can be done above a previously fused level here in US or not yet or is approved by insurance companies or if ADR is FDA approved to use with previously fused levels (tho if now approved to use in combo with fusion..why not?)...

I'll be in Fla. as of Friday night so if you'd like to call me please feel free.. not sure if you have my phone #'s or not?

take care, hope your tears are dried for now..Maria
Old 11-14-2006, 11:38 PM

i wonder if one of the main issues is scar tissue from the prior surgery in the general area making access to the adjacent disc level more difficult and risky?

Old 11-15-2006, 02:43 AM

ADR Surgeries adjacent to joints that have a fusion are quite often very successful and well within medical capabilities. In fact with some doctors it has now become the "norm".

It frightens me just to read about Stenum let alone go there -- -- -- I think it's a place to stay away from
best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 11-16-2006, 10:16 AM

Thanks for ya'lls support and guidance. I am going to "keep on keeping on" with my fight to get my life back. You guys help strengthen my hopes again.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, and a blessed up coming Thanksgiving holiday. Be safe and be well
Cathy
*Curr