ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Donmas, when you can, pls add a signature.

https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11053

Thank you.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-06-2017, 04:02 AM

No worries Harrison, cheers
Old 04-06-2017, 03:32 PM

Thanks donmas I've actually already spoken to Mike about the LP-ESP

08.16 - Back/sciatica problems arose (what I class as the start of life changing problems in day to day life)

10.16 - After signifcant recovery problems arose again and life has never been the same since

02.17 - L4/5 Small bulge, L5/S1 small protrusion confirmed by MRI, L5/S1 pressed on sciatic nerve but no significant compression noted.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:55 PM

Sound good mate, let keep in touch and update each other if you have more information on lp-esp. Well for my surgeon, he said adr will not suit someone has spondy, ddd with collapse disc, facet joint problem and can be check using bone scan and lastly nothing relate to disc if using discogram and Ct which said nothing similar to your normal pain and dye still intact within disc but if there is big tear and will be very clear cut on Ct. cheers
Old 04-08-2017, 08:21 AM

No problem

But what you you class as ddd with collapsed disc, you mean when there is nothing of the disc left and the bone is rubbing? I can't see what problem there is otherwise.

I think LP ESP is the best option with 10 years data of implantation, I'm sure there will be models in the future which are "better", but I would have to wait many many years before a new disc had been tested etc for it to be a possibility.

So I hope I find a surgeon I like for LP ESP, and that the disc is suitable for me, as I would really like my life back please

08.16 - Back/sciatica problems arose (what I class as the start of life changing problems in day to day life)

10.16 - After signifcant recovery problems arose again and life has never been the same since

02.17 - L4/5 Small bulge, L5/S1 small protrusion confirmed by MRI, L5/S1 pressed on sciatic nerve but no significant compression noted.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:28 AM

Hi bfdfix,

You can find more of my detail here https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13686. My L5S1 is not collapse but tear within my disc that causes leak. My surgeon just do not like to fix a collapse disc as there might be a facets tissue on it. If it is just disc height drop without facets joint damage then ADR will be good. You can check with your surgeon and ask for a bone scan which can identify if the facets joint are worn.

Well, lucky me found a surgeon that do LP-ESP so i will be having surgery on the June 2017. Hopefully, i will have my normal life back soon. I hope you will find a good surgeon soon and back to normal life. We only have this amount of time to live actively after all we will age and have to be sedentary in life. Haha not a spring chicken anymore !!!
2015- Re injured my back and BIG mistake going to CHIRO then my condition got worse with sciatica.
2016- MRI showed tear getting bigger caused by CHIRO.
2017- DISCOGRAM and CT, found my L5S1 torn through annulus fibrosus and pain is similar. Waiting ADR LP-ESP.

Last edited by donmas2000; 04-08-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: more information
Old 04-08-2017, 11:23 AM

I've taken a look at your story, you're not so much older than me either, so it's also a big decision at a fairly young age.

Who is your surgeon?

I don't believe my facets are worn according to my mri 6 weeks ago, I still had good disc height etc.

I will hopefully get another mri in around 2 weeks, an X ray and then see what the neurosurgeons say

Old 04-08-2017, 11:57 PM

Hi bfdfix,

I am from Australia, and will be travel to Gold Coast to get it done. My surgeon is Dr Neil Cleaver and he has done about 300 pcs of LP-ESP within 3 years. I know, we are young and it is sad that we are having back problem that may need surgery to help. I always think why me having back problem, as i eat clean and workout at the gym 3-4 times a week. I also love my job and family time when i can bring my three kids to ride on the beach.

So the more i think and the more i need to get better. If conservative does not work for you then surgery is the last option. We are young that is the advantage as we can recuperate faster so we can live our normal active life again. I am sure there are some risk need to be taken but overall the key factor will be finding a good surgeon and the method to be use to fix our back. The rest, we will need to leave it to GOD.

It seem your condition is pretty similar to me, then ADR maybe a good option for you. Do the test when your surgeon ask even discogram, do not be afraid as i am when i went but it is nothing painful compare to my worse flare up. Those people are just over exacerbate their story. Do not leave your back problem for too long as it will have a memory of pain and it will be hard to extract out from the brain. This was told by my neurosurgeon who taught me to rewire the pain signal in our body. Too bad, he only does fusion otherwise i will look for him to operate on me.

Cheers
Don
2015- Re injured my back and BIG mistake going to CHIRO then my condition got worse with sciatica.
2017- DISCOGRAM and CT, found my L5S1 torn through annulus fibrosus and pain is similar. Waiting ADR LP-ESP.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:10 AM

Ah I see, I've found a surgeon in Germany that does the LP-ESP and has done around 100 operations using it, I don't think 100 is that many compared to some surgeons who have replaced thousands, but he's also not a complete newbie either

Yes it's unfortunate at our age, and it's easy to say why me, but also I think I can just about fund the operation and people will have these injuries in countries in poverty etc, so I have to be thankful that I believe there is a way out.

I don't believe I'll be getting a discogram done, I'll get another mri to see if from my latest incident a disc has become worse or not, I'm also thinking of getting a bone density test done, and also maybe a test to see if I'm allergic to any metals, which could detirmine which ADR I use.

I'm hoping to have another mri done in a couple of weeks, an x ray done as I don't haveone yet, then send everything to surgeons, I'll update when I know more

Old 04-13-2017, 10:43 AM

Hi bfdfix,

I agree as we are lucky enough to have a good surgeon and hospital around us compare to the third world country. We are also bless as we have no spondylolisthesis otherwise we will only left with one option 'FUSION'.

Sound good that you have found a good surgeon that does LP-ESP. My surgeon said it is highly that i will not react on the LP-ESP disc as it is coated with pure titanium so he did not ask for a test. Well, i got to trust him so i just follow what he said. So now he leave the decision to me as i can wait it out till end of the year to see if there is some good changes with my condition. It is really crazy, wait and wait but time will pass but he did said my annular tear will not heal but will stabilise the pain. So i will feel less pain but does not guarantee my functionality will be back to normal.

So, i figure out if i am better and suddenly make a wrong move or lift then i will be back to square one again. Which i think will be very suckz and depress...

Today, i have spoken to another surgeon that told me alif is better than ADR. In term of benefit will be predictable recovery and i will not have to worry about the life span as in ADR. I agree but about the ASD, he said is not being proven much but if your next level is not good then it will speed up the disc degeneration. I think he prefer ADR because he has not done as many as my another ADR surgeon. But he did said if i am having problem on L4/5 then he will happily recommend ADR for me. Well again got to think about it....need wine to make me sleep otherwise my brain just spin around with all the question....