ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-28-2005, 05:42 PM

Cervie, Dale S. I am new here and have been reading some of the Meidcare issue messages. I have been trying to get the ADR done at Cedars Sinai with Dr. Regan. His office tried to book the surgery but the hospital refused. I later found that Medicare will pay but they are reimbursing very little for the disk.

There is another hosptial in Los Angeles, that told me that they are charging $20,000. I assume that the surgeons fee is on top of that. For me that is too much money at this time but maybe you can have it done there. The hospital used to be called Midway Hospital but has since chnaged it's name. I can't remember the new name but will find it.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:31 PM

I am not an ADR candidate due to two levels of retrolisthesis and severe facet disease. I am having a three level Dynesys at Cedars on Nov 1 with Medicare and Tricare footing the bill. I hope they don't change their minds between now and then.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:00 PM

St. Vincent's? St. John's? The Marina area?

Interesting if LA-CO USC Hospital.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Banned

You might be referring to the new Doctor's Hospital in Century City. I don't know if it was once Midway or ??? http://www.ccdoctorshospital.com/site/

I've also heard rumor that the Kerlin-Jobe clinic is now doing adr's.

As a 3/4 level cash patient, Cedars wanted $78k for a 3 day stay... Doctor's Hospital wanted $90k. If you look at their website, it's more than a hotel than a hospital, complete with menus by Wolfgang Puck and consierge service. Added to this are doctor's fee, assistant surgeon, etc., and I was well above $100k.

Complete with airfare, hotels, food, etc., my total cost with Dr. B in Germany is less than half. Financial reasons may have brought me to this decision but it's the best one regardless.

I'm sorry to say I know nothing about Medicare but I doubt they would cover a non emergency procedure out of this country. Good luck to you.

Dale
Old 10-01-2005, 02:19 PM

The more I read about the finances involved in this procedure, the more I am amazed at the varying prices. In my surgeon's charges expense comparing ADR to fusion the totals were $18,900 and $17,750 respectively. I stayed in a wonderful community hospital with a private room and full RN and PT staffing. While the menu wasn't fabulous, the view of the Pacific was lovely. Even though my injury has affected my life greatly, I am thankful that my medical expenses have been completely covered.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 10-02-2005, 06:41 AM

For my complete surgery including three days in the Alphaklinik including the special corset I was charged
� 9000 GBPGreat Britain Pound = $15912.9 USD

That is for a single level ADR L5/S1

I don`t know if the exchange rate has changed much
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 10-02-2005, 02:48 PM

I dont' care if I eat Swanson's tv dinners; I'm bummed that the new Century City hospital is for poodles. Just do an excellent job.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:48 PM

If this trend continues, pts. should have more power in having their operations paid for in Europe imo.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:07 AM

A lot of members here, actually have had their surgery paid for by their insurance companies when they went to Europe.

I suppose it just depends how much the USA surgeons and insurance companies "buddy buddy" up to each other to keep the business in the USA.

Obviously Europe could not deal with the many USA patients just from a volume point of view
best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 10-07-2005, 06:28 PM

5days in St.Johns in santa monica, ca was just over $42,000/ the insurance company paid a lil over $18,000 took a healthy discounted rate, then the 3 surgeons(my ortho, my vascular, and a spare surgeon all billed $12k each)not what the insurance paid.......but it was a shocking amount besides what my Prodisc Trials paperwork said
'79...
1979Laminectomy@L4,5/mylegram tech