ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:00 AM

What we won't do to protect our backs. I was in the back with one of my two little babies (dogs) so she could do her business. My husbands shovels because they will not go unless they see some grass. The weather was warm one day close to 50 so the reminder started to melt. As it got dark I never thought it would have changed so quickly to ice, but it did. I started to fall and wham, I fell while protecting my back I fell on my hand and shoulder and broke my hand. I am now in a cast up to my elbow and of course I am right handed and it is my right hand. I now how to have a CT scan on the hand because he sees one break good on the xray but thinks another is broken as well. If it is off to surgery on the hand now. I am glad I protected my back, but now this. It just seems to be one thing after another. When will it stop?
Well it it is not easy to type this, but please be careful watch out for the ice.

Judy
ADR L5/S1
Diagnosed with Arachnoiditis 11/06
Old 03-05-2007, 08:48 AM

Judy.........I'm so sorry to hear about this......I just don't understand how you folks do it. The last time I saw snow was in 1974 when there were flurries here for about 10 minutes. Man, was it cold! The other day one of my windows fell out when I was closing them to put on the air conditioner. It was 90 degrees and humid. The air conditioning in my classroom is set at 72 degrees and I'm frozen all day. I am very sorry to hear about the hand and surgery involved. Please keep us posted.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 AM

Judy

I have protected myself from slipping on the ice by slipping rubber cleats over my shoes when I will be walking on ice. Our dogs do their "business" on the ice and that is the one job my wife has not willing to take over for me while I am recovering from ADR. I am 6 weeks post-op and am still working on basic exercises with my PT. I plan on working with her to strenthen, strech, and balance my muscles so that when I fall I'll have a better chance of not breaking an arm etc. Although, accidents happen. You can read about world class athletes hurting theirselves in the same kind of slip and falls that we all make. At 6 weeks I am still in jepordy of having my ADR move in a fall, but soon the bone will grow into the devise and it will stay there until I'm put in my grave. Dr. Zechel assured me that after 8 weeks the Maverick disk would stay put. Good luck with your arm. At least you have your babies and husband to pull you through another of gravity's nasty little tricks.

Grizz

L4-L5 / 01-12-2007 @ Stenum