ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:00 PM

Hi everyone,
I am new here. My name is Cindy. Not quite sure how to do this, or create a signature, but this is a start anyway. I am scheduled for 3 level lumbar adr on April 17th, 2007 with Dr. Bertagnoli. I am very excited to finally have a date. Nervous of course. Quick summary of my story: I was involved in a bicycle accident June of 2001, that left me with two compressed fractures, T12, L1. In September (yes it took them three months to figure out what was wrong with me) of 2001 I had vertibroplasty of those two levels. It was right after 9/11 so in addition to being wildly in pain, I thought the world was ending. Over the years since then, my back has not been the same. I have run the gamut of epidurel injections, facet rhizotomies, nerve blocks,orthotics, etc. My surgeon here in my home state finally recommended considering adr. I have DDD and herniations at mutiple levels, and probably things deteriorated more rapidly due to my vertibroplasty. Since my doctor has not performed alot of adr's,(especially multi-levels) he recommended Dr. Bertagnoli, who he knows personally. I do feel I am going to be in the best hands with Dr.B, having researched so much on him. A question I do have for anyone is: is it possible to have cervical adr at the same time as lumbar adr? I have multi-level degenerative spondylosis with my C4-5 and C6-7 being the worst. My C6-7 has severe foraminal stenosis, and that reads from a two year old MRI. My neck has just over the past few weeks, really been bothering me. Very tight, headaches, almost nauseated on and off, and a throbbing pain down front of my leg when I lay down. I've had numerous injections in my neck, including percutaneous rhizotomies, which gave me some relief. Just wondering. I would hate to get all the way over there and not deal with this if adr could be a reasonable solution for me cervically, as well. Thanks for listening.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 03-09-2007, 04:23 PM

First answer, yes you could get lumbar and cervical ADR. Second answer, three level lumbar ADR is serious surgery, adding cervical ADR to it is probably too much of a challenge for you to handle. I'd suggest having Pro-Spine do the evaluation for your C-spine when you get your lumbar ADR then plan a second trip.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 03-10-2007, 06:47 AM

Thank you Anna for your advice. I appreciate it. And Mike, firefighter, I noticed you're in Minnesota. I am too. Where are you? I am in Wayzata.

Cindy
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 03-10-2007, 08:37 AM

Hi CindyLou:

I bicycled the trails around the Lakes for years and did numerous centuries and metrics when I lived in Minneapolis. I lived in New Hope, Plymouth, Minneapolis, St. Paul. Graduate of U of M.

Also injured in a bicycle accident in 2004 and had 4 level ADR surgery November 2006 (see post below for levels). I was in excellent condition prior to surgery. Rode almost 2,000 miles prior to and did a significant amount of fitness walking.

Distraction pain is an issue if you gain height. It is tolerable for me and my recovery has been a roller coaster but worth it.

I am living proof that multiple level ADR can be done successfully.

You may PM me for additional details.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 03-10-2007, 08:50 AM

Terry,

Just exactly what is distraction pain?

Cindylou
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
Old 03-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Administrator

CindyLou, glad you found us OK. I look forward to catching up next week...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-10-2007, 11:13 AM

Distraction pain is your body trying to adjust to your vertebrae being pulled apart to get the implant in, as well as the permanent restoration of disc height. Nerves especially have to lengthen to span that new height, and don't especially like it. Some think the severity of it has to do with the amount of lost/restored disc height, or the amount of time you've been without that height. I don't know of a way to predict accurately who will have it and who won't. I didn't, and had very little disc left... Just be aware of it, it can be decreased some with nerve pain meds, but it will pass if you get it. Even those who've had it bad said it was well worth it. Don't borrow something else to worry about though, just be aware. good luck!
Relief X 1 yr
DDD pain 2 1\2 years
13 Docs, 9 PT's, 3 Chiros, 8 Epidurals, many injections, and one child later...
Prodisc placement L 4-5 Sept 2006
Facet Rhizolysis L4-5,L5-S1 March 2007, Nov 2007, Jan 2009
Second child arrived Dec 2008!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:33 PM

Michelle, thanks very much for that information. I kept hearing the term thrown around, and as much as I googled it, I couldn't get a satisfactory answer. You're right. Don't borrow trouble! Looking forward to getting on the other side of my 3 level lumbar adr.

Cindy
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
Old 03-10-2007, 02:25 PM

Hi Cindy Lou,
You sound as if you're going to the right place if you're going to have three level ADR, the only other place would be the AlphaKlinik in Munich with Dr Zeegers.

If you are seriously thinking about having cervical ADR at the same time as lumbar ADR, then you need to be sending e-mails to Dr Bertaganoli and presenting him with the query, and the possibility of doing this. As one of the other members has quite rightly said, three level lumbar ADR is a huge surgery.

I think if you spend 10 minutes looking in the FAQs, you would find a lot of information that would help you, including your query about distraction. There is a link here

http://adrsupport.org/eve/forums/a/frm/f/7011036081
Best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 03-11-2007, 08:32 AM

CindyLou,

I am a Firefighter for the city of Coon Rapids and I live in Andover. I am familiar with the ILNBC , I worked Security for 5 years at Abbott Norhwestern. I may seek a third opinion with them.
Researching ADR Currently
Prodisc L4 L5 - Fusion L5 S1 December 2007
BACK to work July 2008