ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:44 AM

Sorry, I forgot the spelling.
Does anyone have any experience with this drug? My physiatrist just rx'ed it to me; this mixed with a bit of neurontan seems to work ok.

You know what I love about this forum is that everyone is filled with hope and optimism---
ciao
dmh
Old 03-10-2005, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dmh:
[qb] Sorry, I forgot the spelling.
Does anyone have any experience with this drug? My physiatrist just rx'ed it to me; this mixed with a bit of neurontan seems to work ok.

You know what I love about this forum is that everyone is filled with hope and optimism---
ciao
dmh [/qb]
Ciao: I have never been on the drug myself but know of a couple of people who have and they both had seizures! AND was told the Ultram was the cause of it. Please keep a check on yourself with your doctor. Good luck.
Diagnosed DDD l5-S1 Spring 2003
Epidural & Nerve root block, Spring 2003
Maverick disc December 2003
13 months post op
"To the world you may be one person, to one person you may be the world."
Old 03-10-2005, 11:17 AM

Ultram is an SSRI that if mixed w/another SSRi or taken too closely together, it can cause SSRI overload - a dangerous situation (acc'd to my pharmacist).

It *really* helps me in combo w/other drugs. Beware taking it w/Zoloft, other SSRI's. And don't take it closer than 6 hrs. apart.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:28 PM

Ultram is not an SSRI. It is an analgesic pain reliever. An SSRI is a Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor used mainly for depression. As with all medication, it is important to get regular checkups with your physician.

10-02 - ProDiscs L4/5 and L5/S1 - FDA study - disks placed incorrectly which
caused problem at L3/4 and L2/3
01-05 - ProDiscs at C5/6 and C6/7 in Germany - seems to be working fine so far
Bedbound from 09-06 until 10-08 due to severe pain and weakness
09-08 - Had Fibrin sealant done at L3/4 and L2/3 After 6 weeks - much success!
Hoping and praying that the lumbar revision surgery that was scheduled with Dr. Regan
can be indefinitely postponed
Old 03-11-2005, 11:50 AM

Apologies, got my facts wrong. There's caveats worth paying attn. to in taking this:

http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/HCF/vdp/.../tramadol.html

I took Tramadol way too closely together in dosing. I felt like Hunter Thompson in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" when he ate live adrenochrome - a real weird feeling as if I'd have an epileptic attack.

Otherwise, I swear by it.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:30 AM

I was on Ultram for about 2 years before I had to "graduate" to stronger pain medications. When on this medication I took it every day while on Neurontin also. No problems with seizures or anything like that. However, being on both medications at the same time made me very lethargic. So you will want to make sure you are use to it (declared clinically sober by your MD while on it as directed)(both the Ultram and Neurontin) or schedule your doses around times you will need to do some driving, working, operating machinery & etc. OR have someone else do some of these tasks for you.

I found in my case that the Neurontin did not help me much and weaned off of it to prevent any seizures. Then, just stayed on Ultram.

If Ultram works for you for pain - I say go for it. It is not considered a narcotic (for now)(the jury is still out on this) - however, I need to also mention that going off of it can be hard to do when the time comes. Some patients report some withdraw symptoms. Others don't. My withdraw symptoms were mild coming off Ultram compared to the stronger meds I was on.
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 10:31 AM

I was on Ultram for about 2 years before I had to "graduate" to stronger pain medications. When on this medication I took it every day while on Neurontin also. No problems with seizures or anything like that. However, being on both medications at the same time made me very lethargic. So you will want to make sure you are use to it (declared clinically sober by your MD while on it as directed)(both the Ultram and Neurontin) or schedule your doses around times you will need to do some driving, working, operating machinery & etc. OR have someone else do some of these tasks for you.

I found in my case that the Neurontin did not help me much and weaned off of it to prevent any seizures. Then, just stayed on Ultram.

If Ultram works for you for pain - I say go for it. It is not considered a narcotic (for now)(the jury is still out on this) - however, I need to also mention that going off of it can be hard to do when the time comes. Some patients report some withdraw symptoms. Others don't. My withdraw symptoms were mild coming off Ultram compared to the stronger meds I was on.
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 11:10 AM

Thanks guys and gals, so far so good. I am a little tired but not too bad, I might try it w/out the neurontin as the neurontin does not seem to do anything more then the ultram does. Currenly I have 50mg tabs of the ultram and am breaking them in half. This seems to get me through the day.

Thanks again for all of the good advice.
ciao
DMH
Old 03-13-2005, 11:48 PM

I have been taking Ultram for 2 years now. I take it every 6 hours.

At first it made me feel funny but it was amazing in stopping my pain. It worked so well I thought it was going to keep me from surgery.

However, 2 years down the road and now it has no strange effects on me - but it also is not working on the pain anymore. Either my pain is worse or the medication is not working. I am still taking it to dull the pain but now I am in search of ADR.

I never had any side effects - but you should never drink alcohol with it because it will lower your seizure threshold. (thats what I am told)

Good Luck!
-Kevin