ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:35 AM

But, Alastair - if one waits too long isn't there the danger of irreversible facet joint deterioration or then needing a prosthetic facet joint as well?

I mean, that's what I'm understanding anyway. Realizing that surgery is one of the final resorts - but debilitating pain isn't always the final motivator, is it? Or am I wrong?

And, I've also talked to many that didn't realize the pain they were in until it was gone. Don't you think the body "masks" that pain with endorphines and just a high pain threshold in many cases?

Just wondering about all these things.

And, good luck to you Ezekiel - in what ever path you take. Be sure to "over kill" your settlement in case there are other issues as well. So, are you going for a partial disability (i.e. % of total body disability) settlement?
PLIF L5/S1 - hdwr removed when C6/7 revision
PLIF L4/5 & Dynesys L3/4 10/10/06. Looking forward to living again.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:29 AM

Ezekiel

In my opinion, one problem in waiting may come with your nerves. If you have nerve impingement like I did waiting may cause more damage and scaring to the nerves and nerves have minds of their own. I�m still waiting for them to regenerate, heal, stop hearting, this may take much longer then I thought.

I waited 10 months and for most this is a very short amount of time. Some have waited many years. Yes I was in a lot of pain but did not know how much until it was gone.

Also it comes down to what you can live with or without. I was unable to work, play or socialize and those that know me around here that was like being in prison.

Ezekiel, Where would you put yourself on this pain/play profile scale?
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 01-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Banned

I hope I haven't waited too long for this surgery.

2 years ago I got a quote from Dr.B's office for 2 level ADR and possibly 3 levels and it was quite reasonable by US standards I think... As I recall it was something like 30,000 Euros and Vertebroplasty was even figured in if I needed it.

One thing I honestly believe is that while we have our really good quality US surgeons here and we do have multilevel surgery patients with execellent results, still one cannot beat experience when it comes to something as important as your spine ~ that's just my take on it...
Old 01-19-2006, 03:07 PM

You CAN have multilevel ADR here in the states, many of us have done so. The problem is, most insurance companies aren't paying no matter if it is one level or multiple. I had surgery in September, I had fusion at L5/S1 and then Charite ADR at the two levels above it in NYC.
The cost of the whole thing was about 70K. MY insurance paid 50K (because the fusion was approved) and I had to come up with 20K which was the fee for the two discs and the surgeon's fee to put them in.

I think it might be a little cheaper in other parts of the country, but I was in NYC in Manhattan, kind of an upscale place. I think other people have had similar surgeries for less.

Feeling great!
Old 01-20-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pauletteski:
[qb]
Ezekiel, Where would you put yourself on this pain/play profile scale? [/qb]
My daily pain is no less than 5/10 and ramps up to 8/10 or worse throughout the day. Its the biting, burning, gnawing, scraping kind of pain that intensifies to piercing, stabbing, thrusting pain as it escalates through the day with activity (i.e. walking). I have been dealing with my back injury since 2001 and I am beyond the point of waiting. I have been waiting and hanging on for a quite a while and I'm just tired.

I'm tired of hoping that one day the pain will subside to tolerable levels. I'm tired of taking muscle relaxers, painkillers, transdermal patches, injections, etc. I'm tired of hoping that the FDA will approve multi-level ADR. I'm tired of hoping my employer's WC insurance company will agree to ADR and not continue to push spinal fusion. I'm tired of missing out on things that I would like to be doing with my two young children and wife. I'm tired of hoping the next conservative treatment will help me. I'm tired of dealing with the pain each day. I'm just tired.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:18 AM

Again, one factor is bone density. We can get the best US surgeons but if the non-sampled L4-5 or L5-S1 regions are "spongy", we're screwed if the surgeon doesn't have Dr. B's vertebraplasty cement. Wonder when/if this w/be down the pike. (Realizing that osteoporosis is one facet - bad joke - of healthy bones), e.g.

http://www.adrsupport.org/private-cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cg...t_topic;f=4;t=000002
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:20 AM

At your age, I don't know how Workers Compensation can value your case and put a price on medical to settle. If this is even in discussion, you must have one open and shut claim. I thought I had a shot at one level through WC and then I too became a 2-level candidate. Right down to the day before my surgery, they argued against the procedure (they were not paying for anyway) with my doctor. Pricewise I got free discs and I paid 30k cash for hospital in the trail. 58 degrees this morning and I am heading out to fill a leafbag. Yippee. Wishing you all the best, you are in the right place.
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue