ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:47 PM

Fresh,

I'm afraid that you're right and you should know. I know my insurance sucks and doubt (but will try) for Complete PT to work out a deal with me. All I need to do is jump in the pool and be left alone. It's amazing: I've been calling different health clubs in LA and nobody seems to have a pool that's 6' deep. So if not your suggestion, maybe gypsy public swimming pools (gee I feel so safe with a chintzy padlock).

That's some terrible damage from slipping/falling on ice cream.

Be well, ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Banned

For years I lived a half block away from an Olympic Pool and swam there 3-5x/week. When it came to using the floatation jacket and equip, I was advised that I should do this in the deep end of the pool, preferably in 9'water and deeper..
Old 12-27-2005, 10:50 PM

Wouldn't swimming laps make all this easy?

I guess the trick is once you get the flotation device, what type of exercise can one do without hurting their backs yet getting good aerobics. Again, maybe an idea is to use water-floats and to use arms to tread water - then work lower body later outside the pool. Or, maybe if lucky, one could use float and tread water (how many hours would an aerobic workout take this way?). Best but potentially dangerous it seems if in 9' of water and to tread water w/o anything - using arms and legs. Seems too easy w/o some kinda catch - namely terrible delayed-onset back pain.

Advice appreciated. This is quite a conundrum!

Thanks, Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:54 AM

ans-
you can get a great workout in the water with the belt. The belt supports and takes all of the pressure off of your back so you can move your legs and arms without hurting your back.

You should try the belts at Complete PT before breaking in your other one. I think hers are the best. I paid $80.00 for mine but worth it. She sells them from her house in Santa Monica.

Complete PT is the best or 24 Hour Fitness has a pool and I think it is 6' deep. That would work for me and maybe for you if you're under 7'. You can get a free one week trial membership there.

I've attached something about Dr. L. that you may be interested in reading. It confirms our thoughts about him.

Yes, the ice cream slip/fall has done a great deal of destruction to me. I fell in the hospital lobby at UCLA. It's a dangerous place!

This Thanksgiving, the Weekly shares the inspirational stories of two thankful individuals who are rooted in Beverly Hills. They share with us the love and encouragement they've received from those who have helped them overcome some of the most difficult times in their lives.

HEALING THROUGH LAUGHTER

One night while getting ready for bed, legendary comedienne Phyllis Diller said she had a "brain freeze." In what some may perceive as a joke, this was no laughing matter. Everything stopped, her body went limp and she fell, hitting her head on a nightstand. The next thing she knew she was unconscious.

After a housekeeper found Phyllis and called 911, she was immediately transported to UCLA Medical Center. X-rays showed her top two vertebrae broken. If the bones were not carefully and properly fixed, it could have easily led to complete paralysis.

"I couldn't tell you a thing about it, my son was in charge of all that, but at one hospital, they had no one to operate and I just lay there for two days and I really don't know what happened," remembered Phyllis, who was unconscious for much of her 13-day stay in the hospital.

After UCLA, she was then transferred to Olympia Medical Center in Los Angeles where she was treated by the world-renowned spine surgeon and Beverly Hills resident Carl Lauryssen, M.D., who she was referred to by a friend who had a tumor removed from her spine by the doctor.

"Dr.Lauryssen realizes that you're just not a piece of meat and that you're a human being with emotions, feelings, fears and he treats you in that way-- in a caring manner," Phyllis said. "There isn't a cold bone in his body. He's a warm human being. Right away, you trust him because of his attitude. Without knowing his very interesting background, I just fell in love with him and trusted him. God knows he was the right doctor for me."

During the operation, which involved motion preservation and minimal invasion, Phyllis' heart stopped several times, but despite it all, it just wasn't her time to go. Her pacemaker started up her heart each time and kept it beating.

"As a neurosurgeon, we deal with fairly complex and high-risk situations. A millimeter can make a difference-- a stroke one way or another way could leave someone completely paralyzed," Lauryssen said. "It's stressful; you don't want to be known as the doctor that was responsible for her having a bad outcome. There's certain things in life that you can't control, but there was a certain drive in all of us. She's a fighter and she had so much to give so it wasn't her time to go."

At 88-years-old, Phyllis faced several challenges during her operation. Things were very "touch and go," she said.

"She is exceedingly frail from a surgical point-of-view," said Laureyssen, who has also been the neurosurgeon for the St. Louis Rams football team for 10 years now. "She's very skinny and fragile. Obviously, she's not young anymore. Because of her age, she has an element of mild heart disease. When you stress a heart at her age, it can be pushed over the edge."

Throughout the hospital stay, flowers poured into her hospital room, leaving the room overflowing with orchids, roses, you name it. Well-wishers included celebrities such as Delores Hope, Reba McIntyre, Debbie Reynolds, and fellow comedians Red Buttons and Roseanne Barr, and Phyllis' beau, Bruce Nelson.

"You should have seen the flowers. It was like somebody had died," Phyllis said. "I was totally covered with flowers. That made me feel lovely. I'm just crazy about flowers and I felt like a queen. It all helped."

After having to wear a neck brace for two months, Phyllis has now fully-recovered and is able to continue with her busy, eventful life.

"I'm very grateful she did as well as she did," Laureyssen said. "By three months you can see how someone's healed on a CAT scan. She's healed faster than someone a third her age."

Although she retired from stand-up and traveling in 2002, her art career and continuous flow of events keep her terribly busy. In one day last week she had voice-over work at a studio for the film "Shrek 3" as Casper the Friendly Ghost, an event for the producer of the musical called "Menopause: The Musical" and a dinner-date with friends.

"You see, I've got a life going," Phyllis said. "My career just keeps going along. It's absolutely wonderful. This has left me with nothing but a stiff neck. In other words, I can't twist my head like an owl. I have some mobility and I'm very grateful for it and I lead a very, very active life. So I would say it's a second chance [in life]."

At her age, Phyllis' only plans are to get up every morning.

"That's a big deal," she said lightly.

This Thanksgiving, she is thankful for Dr. Lauryssen and having at least 12 members of her extended family, including four grandsons, in attendance for Thanksgiving dinner.

"I'm very thankful, I have so much to be thankful for, especially for Dr. Laurysson," Phyllis said. "I mean, he literally saved my life and gave me a whole new life back."
Old 12-28-2005, 08:01 AM

Hi Fresh,

I checked and think that 24-Hour Fitness' pools are 3-4.5' at most; maybe and I hope that I'm wrong. I know the one in West Hollywood's shallow.

That's a great story about Dr. L. I didnt' know that he was a sports team neurosurgeon. I'm so old that I thought that he was a newly minted doc who passed his residency.

I wonder who trained him in ADRs. Regan or Bray when he was with Cedars?

Thanks for the information.

Best, Allan
Old 12-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Banned

So Dr.L does ADRs? Who has had this surgery with him? How old is he (like that matters, just wondering because of what ans stated)...
Old 12-28-2005, 02:44 PM

Maria,
Here is the info on Dr. L. He is doing the clinical trial for Charite v. Kineflex.

Name of center: Tower Orthopaedic and Neurosurgical Spine Institute
Primary investigator: Carl Lauryssen, MD
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Coordinator contact: Manuel Hernandez
Phone number: 310-855-0751, ext. 2109
Fax number: 310-657-6342
Email: Manny.hernandez@olympiamc.com
Old 12-28-2005, 02:49 PM

Fresh posted before me; I'd call to see how many ADR's he's had. Someone told me that Bray taught him but this is second-hand.

Also, he's been a doctor for 21 years.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:12 PM

ans,
Please let me know how many he has done. I saw him several weeks ago. He was the one who ordered the CT that showed that my L-5 is starting to fuse. I didn't ask how many ADR's he has done but I wanted to.
Thanks!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:40 PM

I have learned a bunch by all of your posts. Makes me want to try water PT. - The only problem here where I live i sthat all of the pools are freezing cold! My back cannot get in water that is that cold...