ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:21 PM

bb,
don't they have indoor pools in Boise? In the complex where I live in LA. we have a heated pool but they turn the heat off in the winter. I looked at wet suits because there are many days here in the winter that are in the 70's. I did buy a kind of surfing shirt and shorts that are suuposed to keep you warm in the water but I have decided that I would probaly need a full wet suit, even then the water may be too cold for me.

The one place that I recommended, Complete PT, keeps their water so warm it is a splendid place to be for water exercise.

I hope you can find a warm indoor pool. One place that I went for PT had two water joggers, which is a treadmill in a warm water tank. That was wonderful! The tanks have jets that they can turn on so you are walking against resistance. You get a great core workout.This was in Beverly Hills and several of the patients were getting these tanks installed in their homes for about $50,000. Must be nice!

Best wishes and keep warm!
Old 12-30-2005, 12:17 PM

They have indoor pools here!
The temperature on most pools at the gyms here is in the range of 69 - 74* degreesF, so in saying that maybe my back just cannot handle the temps under 77 - 80*

I have not had the luxury of having the insurance cover a great PT facility and am in consistant battle with them to get even 2nd rate PT.
(That is another show)

I have heard about these places locally that have warm water PT and water exersizing going on but have not made it there yet. Thus, I rely on local gyms and their pools are just cold to me.

In the mean time I am saving for that 50k!!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:10 PM

For the past 20 years I have taught Adaptive Aquatics to individuals with disabilities. (Now I find myself my most important student). There are many resources and aids that you can use to increase resistance and add to your workout. I am a fan of the hand weights and belts that can be used in deep water for so many different activities, running, treading water, core exercises etc.

The recommended temperature for aquatic therapy is 92 degrees if your pool is cooler then that you may want to ware a wetsuit or skin suit, keep moving and try not to exceed more then 20-30 minutes. With your body temp at 98.5 you quickly drop your core temp and this can be more detrimental then beneficial.

Here are a few articles I ran across for your reading pleasure. Hydrotherapy and Aquatic Therapy

I work at a pool in Northern Nevada that has 4 indoor pools, a therapy pool 92 degrees, kids pool, lap pool with a high and low dive and 2 fully enclosed water slides. This is definitely water therapy at its finest.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 12-30-2005, 03:24 PM

Thanks Paulette for the links; very helpful.

Fresh, I haven't asked but can; he's not a BC provider anymore.

Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:57 AM

Paulette-great info about water therapy!. Do you currently work at that pool now? If you do that is the perfect situation for you after surgery, and for all of us. Can we get some passes?

ans-that's OK I called his office today and am waiting for a call back.

I wish that was me at the Santa Monica Stairs! That's my favorite place in this area. "Do you do the stairs?" I was up to 8 circles down the concrete and up the wood. My goal is to get back there. Madonna? I wouldn't be surprised to see her there, pulling up in her limo, hopping out with her security and trainer. Maybe not,isn't she is still recuperating from her horse injury?

bb-I'm with you about the pools being too cold. I like the temps. at 92 degrees as Paulette mentioned. Maybe you could go to one of these warm water pools and pay for a class?
Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2005, 03:37 PM

Fresh,

Hi. About that aquatic exercise/PT place discussed earlier, do you think they could work out a deal in which I'd only swim there (waiting for call back).

I was never so hot on those steps - bad knees and inability to go up/down 8 times. But I'd be happy walking it.

Love the area; used to live on Muscle Beach in the '70s when uh young.

*It's raining!*.

Be well, ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:10 PM

ans,
The pool at Complete PT is not really a swimming pool, I should say not a pool for swimming laps. They offer a lot of classes which is what I would suggest you try one just to see what the place is all about. They charge $15.00 for a class.

Have you called them and asked them if they accept your insurance? If they do then you can get the therapy immediately at no charge. You could even take a ride over there, they have brochures of everything they offer. I think a chiropractor owns the gym itself and Linda Huey does the aquatic program.

They also have a wonderful Jacuzzi. Let me know what you decide to do.

If you join the gym then you can use the pool anytime. I think the membership fee is comparable to Sports CLub LA.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:14 PM

Fresh,

Thanks for the info. I guess all I need is a good deep end, say 9' or so where I can tread/swim-in-place (wow, not). My insurance sucks so much would be out-of-pocket.

Hope you had a good New Year's despite needing surgery. Hold on for the rains tonight.

Allan
Old 01-02-2006, 03:45 PM

Allan,

This may show how much of a "country bumpkin" I am, but have you tried lakes, resevoirs, or hot springs? The former tend to be well over 9 feet deep just by their very nature, while the latter often have fairly elaborate therapy pools, depending on the locale. If these don't work, would the ocean be an option? If you wanted to try a calm ocean setting but lived in a cooler climate, perhaps a thick, well-fitted wetsuit would be an option since it would provide both warmth AND flotation, allowing you to just jump in and run in place, so to speak. Needless to say, the typical "surfing beach" wouldn't be a good idea.

I've got to admit that warm water can really helps. I swam laps at a local hot-spring last week (pool temps around 95 degrees F), and my back felt about as good as it had in months - even after 3 miles! There's a good guide to public hotspring in the northwest and southwestern US - could find links if you'd like.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 01-02-2006, 08:35 PM

Laura,

I live amidst concrete, iron, and a carcinogenic (but fun to body surf) ocean. I'm too far for a hot springs but thanks anyways. Btw, swimming three miles anytime is great and in 95 deg. F. that's amazing. Strange, with your terrible back pain, you can handle swimming - something that does me in.

My best, Allan