ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:43 PM

Pacing
Pacing your activities is one of the most important aspects of pain management.
�Little and often� is the key to successful pacing. Stop what you are doing BEFORE the pain rises.
Space out your activities, change what you are doing often.
Organise your day so that you don�t overdo things in one part of the day.
Successful pacing means that YOU stay in control, NOT the pain.
* Ask me for my easy to follow workbooklet all about Pacing: �3.50. (UK only) jansadler@painsupport.co.uk

Relaxation
Set aside 15-20 minutes each day for a relaxation session.
Make sure you can rest your head and be comfortable, warm and undisturbed for the session.
Make the session a priority in your day.
Take �breathing breaks� often during the day. For a 'breathing break', stop what you are doing and take one or two deeper breaths than normal, allowing the air out with a gentle sigh, smiling as you do so, and imagining the air flows out from the top of your head down to your feet. Really feel the relaxation as you let the air go.

Exercise
Exercise helps to improve muscular strength, flexibility and mobility.
Exercise also improves sleep, vitality and self-esteem.
Exercise helps to control your pain, as it encourages the production of your body's natural painrelieving chemicals.
Find a good, professional therapist to show you the right exercises for your condition.

Positivity
Focus on what you can do, not on what you can't.
Ask yourself what you are going to do to-day that is special for you - and make sure you do it. Do this every day.
Go for a treasure hunt at the end of every day. Relax and visualise everything positive and enjoyable about your day. Savour every little find, no matter how small, to amass your treasure.
If you find yourself dwelling on your pain, say "STOP THAT" to yourself and deliberately change your thoughts.
Make up some positive statements that are meaningful to you, such as 'I can cope with this' or 'Be still, this will pass'.
Set yourself goals for each day/week/month - it doesn't matter how small, just give yourself something to work towards.
Smile... When you smile your natural pain killers, endorphins, are released..

So, do remember 'PREP' !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TOOL KIT - If you like these ideas why not keep them in your Tool Kit notebook or folder of self-help pain relief methods. If you haven't started one yet, do keep a special notebook or folder as your Tool Kit to remind you of techniques and skills for coping with pain. Your Tool Kit is especially useful when pain flares up. It will help prevent panic and fear and give you constructive ideas to focus upon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NEW! You can now have an immediate download of the latest relaxation and pain relief CD by Jan Sadler. It's is available from the PainSupport website, www.painsupport.co.uk Many other CDs, audiotapes and books are also availabe. Just follow the links to 'Useful Products'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WORDS OF WISDOM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will."

-- Mahatma Gandhi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AND FINALLY...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A woman walked into the kitchen to find her husband stalking around with a fly swatter.

"What are you doing?" she asked.
"Hunting Flies" he responded.
"Oh. Killing any?" she asked.
"Yep, 3 males, 2 Females," he replied.

Intrigued, she asked. "How can you tell?"

He responded, "3 were on a beer can, 2 were on the phone."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keep smiling!

I hope you find the above ideas useful. If you would like more information on any of the items above plus more ideas for pain relief, please go to the website below or contact me for details of my new download, CDs, tapes and books which contains many more methods for relaxation, pain and stress relief.

Jan at PainSupport
www.painsupport.co.uk
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/