ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:36 PM

Boy, I tell you...there's nothing like spending time with others who've been on that "To Hell and Back Express". A real luxury to not have to explain in detail about things, rather...people "get it" right away.
There was a lot of love and hope in that gathering so hats off to Dan and Paulette for being the driving forces behind the event. Good talk, good food, good fun...and I'll happily donate a few extra lbs. to Dan, I really don't need them.

Let's hope we have more of these things for all the Spiney Siblings.
Best of luck to you all,
Rick F.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:52 PM

WOW, what an afternoon,It is always a battery charge when i get together with all of you and hear for myself each individual story of before ADR and afterADR stories. We do have quite a group started and as we meet each time the group gets larger and larger.The food was outstanding,and the company even better, thank you for a great afternoon,Thanks Dan for the meeting place& Paulette who looks so great after her surgery, Brad you are a star for driving on your own to be with us just 3weeks after surgery, Willie you look great, and MrB also, keep it up
wish i had had more time to talk with all of you,but as it turned out i had to work and was a few hours late, so i'll save it for our next gathering....there is some talk of getting a snow skiing trip together for us spineys, i think we need to follow through on this one, it'd be a great time i'm sure!!
gary
'79...
1979Laminectomy@L4,5/mylegram tech
Old 11-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Sounds like a great time. I'm with Luvmysibe - let's have a northern cal gathering. I've available to help with planing, anybody else?
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 11-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Banned

Brad (3 weeks 2-level Activ-L), Willie, Dan, JimM2, Mark, Paulette, RickZ (8 weeks), PabloCruise (3-level ProDisc), Gary, RickF

2 Activ-L
9 Charite
6 ProDisc
Old 11-13-2005, 08:30 PM

How great to be able to finally match up a few more aliases with names and faces. It looks and sounds like the gathering was a romping success. Cheers!
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 11-13-2005, 08:56 PM

Sounds (and looks via the photo) like a great time, y'all!!! Good for you guys!!! The rest of us are certainly envious.

I guess it'll be up to CPD & me to make the NE Florida Spiney Gathering a success! We'll probably do it in Germany early next month. Craig & I are scheduled for surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli just 2 days apart.

Glad you all had so much fun! Wishing we could all be togther so easily ...

-j
Old 11-13-2005, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the stories and the photo. Every time I see real people with ADRs smiling I get a millimetre closer to making the decision to get my own!
Old 11-14-2005, 01:47 AM
Banned

Hello All,

The gathering was wonderful, warm and upbeat. I know for Chris who is pre surgery it is a load to digest all these ADR folks with various stories and those still waiting to have it done. Once I was there and now, well, my outcome was heaven sent. Thank God.

I believe for many of us as we go through this experience our spiritual beliefs are strengthened. Certainly it gives us a moment to pause and look over our life as we wonder how this awful mess could have happened to us and why we can�t just have it fixed immediately.

This gathering was a testimony to those who have suffered, endured and are looking at life again albeit with a deeper appreciation for each day. I know I do. It was terrific to see Brad so fresh from his surgery and looking years younger.

Meeting Paulette was a jazz as she is a bundle of inspired energy. Dan was a gracious host behind a smiling grimace of holding up through a long few days of getting all ready. The room was awesome and perfect for the group.

Pablo I observed slinging my coolers around like they were empty cardboard boxes and then we got time to visit a tough guy with a 3 level, 10 months out. Big smiles from Marlo his sweet wife.

Hey big kudos to all our spouses, partners, or caregivers who have hung in for us short tempered, drug hazed, sofa addicted or not, spineys who have put our best halves through premature aging. My wife gets the award for sure. She is a terrific gal who has stuck to me for 23 years and is my best part of me.

Maria I so enjoyed sharing with you and my heart goes out to you with all your continued struggles with your back. Observing you and Jim moving around every 3 minutes on your feet or sitting then back up gave me flashbacks of me too.

Rick and Rick I saw nothing but smiles from each of you and then I found out how you are each just a few months post op, doing awesome. Gary looked good and my wife loved your car!

The star of the party to me was seeing Mark and Diane. Mark looked relaxed and happy, not his usual haggard look from his worrying about all of us. I know I aged him a mite going through my ordeal. Mark was and is a good friend for staying close by me throughout. He has a deep compassion for all of us back pain sufferers as he is one too.

So glad and happy he and Diane get some vacation time in one of my favorite countries. All in all this was a close nit group unlike a High School reunion; we have all been to the mountain top and know it. I do appreciate each of you and look forward to seeing you again. And for those who couldn't make it I hope to meet you at the next event, wherever it may be. My vote is Hawaii!

God Bless the ADR forum and each of you and to anyone I forgot to mention in my long post.

Willie

-----------------

June 02� Fell and fractured L2, L3, L4 vertebrae
Recovered, still in pain, sought rehab treatment
Dec 03� Ruptured L4-L5 disc in rehab office
Dec 03 to Jan 04� Three (3) consecutive hemi-laminectomy surgeries due to complications
Aug 04� ADR surgery, Germany at Stenum, L3/L4 and L4/L5 level, Charite
Subsidence of L3 implant
Oct 04� Revision surgery of L3/L4. New larger implants installed. More complications, specific left iliac artery occlusion
Angio graphies Nov 04� and Feb 05� non successful
Scheduled for aorta-femoral bypass May 05�
Healed through prayer and faith by God on April 26th, 05�
All surgeries postponed. No more meds, life is wonderful
All the praise to Christ Jesus for restoring my life and giving me second chance!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:42 AM

Thanks everyone for coming and taking the time to support each other in our time if healing and need. You all have touched my life so incredibly I could not have made it through this journey without you.

When Chris, the cervical candidate headed to Germany his wife and mother showed up the reason why we ALL need support was all too apparent. The pain and fear on his face far too familiar. My heart and prayers goes out to you.

Even though we were all a bunch of lumbies, Chris, I hope that we gave you hope that your life as a professional surfer is waiting for you. You have the support of a loving family and a community that is here for you. Please keep in touch.

These types of gatherings are so uplifting and needed throughout the country and world. Maybe that is my new calling social director for spinies worldwide.

I look forward to the No-Cal Gathering and of course a ski trip in the near future.

God Bless
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 11-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

I'm up for a No.CA. get together too if it's announced in advance as JetBlue has some good fares going on right now...