ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:32 PM

First time posting... Have a date of 1/8/07 for ADR with Dr. Bitan in NYC. Would like to know if there is anybody out there who had ADR surgery with Dr. Bitan and how things went?
I have DDD at L5-S1 have undergone two epidurals, one facet injection, facet block, positive discogram and other than that I have a remarkable back. Just wanted to know if there was anybody out there with a similar diagnosis and how they made out? My daily pain is a 7 or 8.
Positive discogram 2005 L5-S1
Positive 2nd discogram 12/06 with anaesthetic block
Facet nerve block 2006 negative
ADR surgery L5-S1 Charite Disc / Dr Bitan January2007
X- LIF L4-l5 October 2009
Fusion L5-S1 revision surgery to eliminate charite disc. 2011
Old 11-28-2006, 11:22 PM

Hi Sharon!
Just wanted to say welcome. I have a one-level issue as well, only at L4-5. I too had extreme pain-upper end of the 1-10 scale every day! I've had my ADR 10 weeks, and don't regret a minute of it. I have to admit, I expected to wake up from the surgery and know I was 'fixed', having little or no pain. I know that isn't realistic, and now I understand that there are a lot of ups and downs on this path. You'll be thrilled one day, and in pain the next. But overall it's getting better all the time. I'm back to work full time already and have less pain than before, even without the morphine. That's about all I can ask. I have high hopes that in the months to come I'll be down to little or no pain, but don't expect it immediately. You will do well!! I have faith. If you have realistic expectations, you'll be thrilled with this surgery. I have to force myself to look at it in a months-years perspective, instead of weeks. But overall, I'm thrilled, and know I'm much better off than I would've been with a fusion recovery. Good luck and keep us posted!
Relief X 1 yr
DDD pain 2 1\2 years
13 Docs, 9 PT's, 3 Chiros, 8 Epidurals, many injections, and one child later...
Prodisc placement L 4-5 Sept 2006
Facet Rhizolysis L4-5,L5-S1 March 2007, Nov 2007, Jan 2009
Second child arrived Dec 2008!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:22 AM

dr bitan is pobbly the best charite surgeon in the usa. you will do great im sure.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 11-29-2006, 10:04 AM

if you click on find and type in your drs name you should find others who have used him

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 11-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Sharon, welcome. There are many of Dr. Bitans' patients here, they all seemed to have done well. Your condition is similar to mine in 2004; I had a 1 level Charite' and I am doing great!

Call me if you don't get the info you are looking for or need more help.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-29-2006, 05:01 PM

Thank you all for your replys today. I am so glad I found this web site, I have been following your lives for a couple of months now and I cannot tell you how reassuring it is to have read all your stories and follow your outcomes the good and the bad. If I had not found this site I know I would not have the courage to go ahead with the ADR surgery. I am extremely anxious about having the surgery. I have days where I cannot wait to get to get it done, and days where I feel absolutely scared to death. I have never had any kind of surgery before or spent the night in the hospital, so it's a little bit a fear of the unknown. I have a very positive attitude and feel that I am a perfect candidate for ADR, I think having the right frame of mind is half the battle! I am very lucky to have a supportive husband who also has his own back issues, which he is waiting to take care of until after my surgery.
I moved here from England 14 years ago. I have no family here to help so I am extremely happy my Mum and Dad are coming over to stay with me for two weeks after my surgery, I hope that will be long enough. I am very nervous of how much mobility I will have, and what I will be able to do by myself? I guess it all depends on how my surgery goes.
I am so happy I found Dr Bitan he is so compassionate and makes you feel like you are his only patient. I did go for a couple of other opinions and was surprised at the total arrogance of a couple of the surgeons, one of them actually had me in tears when I left the office.
I am going for a second discogram this Friday since it was over a year ago I had the last one, I am not looking forward to going through that again, and think I must be quite mad to have been talked into it, still it's better to be safe right!! Actually the Dr who is performing it is doing it a little different this time he said he is going to do the same as last time going into L5-S1 and the disc above, but after reproducing the pain he is then going to numb the disc, so I am anxious to see if I feel NO PAIN. If it truly is just the disc then theoreticaly there should be no pain. Well thanks again for the replys and I look forward to staying in touch with you all.
Sharon
Positive discogram 2005 L5-S1
Positive 2nd discogram 12/06 with anaesthetic block
Facet nerve block 2006 negative
ADR surgery L5-S1 Charite Disc / Dr Bitan January2007
X- LIF L4-l5 October 2009
Fusion L5-S1 revision surgery to eliminate charite disc. 2011
Old 12-05-2006, 07:20 PM

Hi Sharon,
I had an adr/fusion hybrid combo with Dr. bitan three months ago. So far, I'm extremely pleased. You're right about Dr. Bitan being an incredibly personable man. He does make you at ease and you can tell that he is good enough that he doesn't need the cocky facade. Anyway, just wanted to send a reassuring note that I had a great experience with Bitan. His entire office is great, and Annie was a huge help. I had my mom stay with me for 2 weeks as well, and then went it on my own. Not sure if it will be harder for you, living outside of the city, but I was able to do all of my basic things after that first 14 days. It's not easy going, but after all perfection takes time, right? Feel free to read my blog (address below) or PM me with any questions you may have.
Best of luck,
Zoe