ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:07 PM

Has anyone ever heard of or had any experience with Deep Water Therapy? My husband was at a safety meeting for the company he works for last night and there were two physical therapist there that he spoke with. They told him they were having alot of success with failed back surgery patients with this therapy. Unfortunately, they are located about 2 hours from me. Apparently, you are in deep water and somehow suspended and they work with you both doing exercises and hands on stuff. They said it is to strengthen the muscles and tissues surrounding the spine and discs. ????
Old 05-18-2006, 08:32 PM

I don't know if this is what you are referring to, but my massage therapist has mentioned watsu, a combination of water therapy and shiatsu massage done in a warm pool. He said that a friend was using the technique with disabled children and a friend of mine with MS is looking into it. I haven't tried it but it sounds heavenly (you can google it).
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 05-18-2006, 09:33 PM

I have never practiced or experienced it myself but have heard very good things about both water therapy in a heated pool for those in chronic pain, fibromyalgia, and MS patients. Watsu has a very good reputation as well for helping in chronic pain situations. Like you there are no therapists very close to me that work with this. If it were available to me I would be very excited about giving it a try I can tell you that
Evaluated by Dr Blumenthal at TBI
2/2005 ADR 2 level recommended
2 level lumbar fusion
Old 05-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Administrator

I live in the greater Boston area and have heard nothing but praise for a local aqua therapy expert who has treated people with all kinds of back problems. I also did some aqua therapy as part of my recovery; it was fun and helpful.

BTW -- if the goal is to strengthen the "core" mucles, as it should be, there are many other exercises one can do. Soon, I will take my first yoga class!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-19-2006, 10:52 AM

First yoga class - please take some photos - they could be very ammusing! I haven't tried deep water therapy, but I did do water therapy as part of my recovery. It was one of my favorite and most beneficial activities soon after my ADR. One of the most intense core workouts I've attempted recently is using my physioball for a variety of total bady workouts. It is similar to the advertised "Core Secrets". I was pleasatnly surprised by the workout intensity and support for my spine.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 05-19-2006, 06:52 PM

Check this out for Watsu - it's where it was developed www.harbinhotsprings.com

It's a great place to spend the weekend.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 05-19-2006, 08:11 PM

Wow, thanks, Spotty. I'm game. Looks like a great place for an ADRSupport meeting
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 05-19-2006, 08:39 PM

I have vacationed in the Napa area previously and agree that this looks like a wonderful getaway and meeting place. I'm just not sure about the optional swimsuit policy.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 05-19-2006, 10:24 PM

Yes, I'm up for planning an ADR meeting there. There are conference rooms that are in doors and outdoor meeting areas. The prices are still reasonable also. I've spent quite a bit of time there just not recently. It is clothing optional but it's not really a nudist colony. Most people wear clothing unless their around the pools although you don't have to. Let me know if anyone is coming over this way or if the group wants to meet there.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 05-20-2006, 08:28 AM

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have checked around and it is as I had figured, everyone who offers this kind of therapy is quite a distance from me. The Watsu you mentioned does sound like what she was talking about. I can't even find anyone locally doing any kind of water therapy.

They are Yoga classes around here though. I might have to give that a try Harrison. Does it need to be a Yoga class specifically for back problems or will any Yoga class do?

Spotty, I would love to try out Harbin Hot Springs (if only I could). It's sounds wonderful. I have found a few Pocono resorts that offer Watsu also. This woman was talking about a program that was considered physical therapy though, and covered by health insurance. Although with all the battles I have had with my insurance, I am sure they would find a way not to cover it anyway.

They have denied our appeal for coverage of the nucleoplasty procedure, so I will be making payments on that for quite awhile. Then they came back and said I could have it if I went to John Hopkins but my surgeon does not want me to go there. He is worried that they are not as experienced and if they remove too much disc material, I would be in worse shape. Nothing like being between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks again everyone.