ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:27 PM

I thought I would drop by to vent a bit and seek some advice....

Well, for one is the weather around here. Falling barametric pressure and being a spine patient does not seem to mix in my book. Cold and rainy here and feeling it.....Both low back and nerve pain.

I know that this has happened before, and I do have good days - but when it happens with a vengence like this - I can't help but think - "Is there another disc going bad???" Or are the facets shot???

Even though I'm on the other side of this surgery, I can't help but worry about living in chronic pain (the kind that brings you to your knees on a daily basis) with no relief in sight. Then, some of the docs (not all, but some) make you feel as though you are drug seeking. - The memories are soooo vivid!!!

Then, there is the future planning thing.....Currently, I am in an MBA program with 9 months to go (believe it or not)! I want to try out for some nursing management positions when finished with this program. However, I seem to lack the on the job supervisory experience. Lots of nursing experience, but nothing managerial.... I work in a small ER part time (for now). There is NO WAY that I could go back to the bedside full time.....absulutely not. Can't imagine it....

I guess I am just looking for some input from everyone here for some suggestions to answer the question: What will I do when I grow up???

Nursing home director of nursing has come to mind -

At the tender age of 37, I am trying to figure out my options.

Suggestions anyone???

TTYL,
Poncho (currently ailing from bad weather) grrr
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:30 PM

One more question....Has anyone read any current literature on how long these ADRs are projected to last?

I keep hearing different numbers - 30, 40, 50 years.... Any truth to this?

Thanks,
Poncho
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:44 AM

Here in the good old FAQ`s all about it

http://adrsupport.org/eve/forums/a/t...1/m/6251000181

Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 09-21-2006, 01:52 AM

For prodisc look here

http://www.geocities.com/javanoginn/Prodisc/Prodisc.htm

Charitee

http://www.worldspine.org/wsIII/ws3_193.pdf

Harrison look at the tennis player here - - -this is the Guy 22 years on
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 09-21-2006, 05:43 AM

Hi Poncho:

You're already making the right moves. From bedside to MBA. Sorry about the pain: I CAN relate.

In the words of some people's favorite politician: stay the course.

Look for positions that would synergize with your ADR experience. Maybe with device trials?

For the PT, pain meds, muscle relaxers, guided imagery.

Pain a real ugly thing. It warps life. No one should be cursed with it. It "makes you mean".

Good luck.

Re: ADR longevity: assuming your implantation was done with the usual excellent placement of Dr. B. then it should last at least 30 years.

Of course this is all speculation. No one really knows. All you can do is cast your eye on the 22 years on tennis player, may he live another 30 yrs., and may you hope for the same and much more!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:45 AM

Thanks Alastair,

I did have a look at the guy 22 years out - he looks pretty good!

biffnoble - not a bad idea - with the clinical trials.....Just need to figure something out. It is really difficult to break into the medical device industry - believe it or not. Atleast, here in the Ohio and Indiana areas it is.

Perhaps, this is some sort of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder going on - but can't help but think about it.

Any more ideas are welcome

In the meantime - back to business statistics Such an invigorating read...
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:11 AM

Hey, Poncho...........congratulations. I was told several thoughts of interest; have to replace the time spent in the suffering with positive activities, thinking, meditation, etc. And the one nugget that has stuck with me from a old, seemingly wise surgeon - some people are "prone to pain."
That comment has given me a place of decision......am I going to choose pain and drug seeking relief or am I going to go for a walk, study the Bible, do my yoga practice.
This works for me.
All the best.............you might want to consider Florida. Although we never see the seasons change, it never gets much colder than a sweater, and the sunny days, I believe, helps the frame of mindd
All the best.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:24 PM

Poncho,
Forgive my fading memory...
Did you have an EMG or myelogram, or any nerve studies?
Hope you feel better soon,
Jeff
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) with Prof. Dr. Reul (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 09-21-2006, 08:33 PM

Thanks JFerg,

I don't know if I am prone to pain.....I hope not. Florida is beginning to look pretty good these days.

JeffreyD,

Thats okay....I had an EMG about 2 years prior to getting ADR. I was in much worse pain then and the EMG was negative....Hummmm..... Also, had a CT myleo and showed the protrusion, but no impingement from the disc. However, since then the old discs are gone and artificial ones put in.

I am beginning to wonder if I have some arthritis in the same areas or something. I'm due for another annual post-op lumbar X-ray - so we will see.

If there was a such thing as a crystal ball - just imagine how powerful that would be...
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Banned

Poncho,
Hey girl~ since I was a bad back bear all thru my nursing career almost (injury during Neurosurgical position back in '82 and stayed employed for 18 years later)~

Here we go...
Nurse Case Manager as you can work from home if you get into this or at least part of the time

Telephonic Advice or Triage Nurse (can stand/sit/work part time)

Management position in Outpatient/Ambulatory care clinic and adapt your office to your needs. I managed an outpatient clinic (FP and OB/GYN) and I think your back is much better than mine was at the time I was doing this.
There was a lot of paperwork, meetings, and one could be on his/her feet as much as needed checking on clinic and walking going to meetings and so forth. There was quite a bit of sitting but even that could be modified with seating and so forth.

Depending on the volume of the clinic flow, it can be decent to extremely hectic.. like the ER..

Find somewhere that will be WOWed by your credentials and hire you with little experience. Don't feel that you cannot apply for positions that you don't have the experience for because you can walk the walk and talk the talk and perhaps you'll be the best candidate they get in terms of your creditials and experience.

Perhaps you and your hub could move to So.Calif or Arizona or somewhere that the weather isn't going to do such a huge number on you barometrically (sp?)...

Good to hear from you, sorry you've got pain.. perhaps the schedule of school, work, home and all is more stressful than your body wants to deal with and once you're out of school, your spine will thank you?!