ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Stem cell sounds promising but I was just wondering how it would help with back pain when the issue is the facet joints?
Stem cells are currently being used to help strength the disk annulus and a stem cell-like procedure is being used to encourage rehydration of disks affected by DDD. I haven't heard of anyone currently using stem cells for facet joint problems but Regenexx might be. Delivery to the facet joints would require a seriously skilled needle jockey and it would probably only help with early stage facet arthritis or facet capsular irritation. Middle stage arthritis would probably be questionable and end-stage is probably too far gone for stem cells to address. Theoretically stem cell treatments would be very good for facet joint problems if you can get them in early enough before the damage accumulates as we've got something like 25+ years of experience out there for stem cell treatments of simple joints.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 12-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Default Prolotherapy

It's been a week since my last post and thought to give you an update on my case! I saw a laser spine surgeon and he basically explained that they can do laser surgery on the herniated disc and the facet joints but success is not guaranteed since I had prior surgery, not to mention that it costs $22k and I have to travel to Arizona for this kind of surgery. So that's that for laser!

I was talking to friend who did prolotherapy treatment and had amazing results after 2 failed back surgeries so I thought to give it a try. I had my first treatment last Thu where Dr injected my lower back with a dextrose solution (and something else!!), gave me few back exercises to do every morning and asked me not to workout (except walking) for 2 weeks. He said that usually patients see positive results after 3 treatments. Amazingly I started feeling little better starting from the next day and everyday after that I feel better and better!! I will be continuing the prolotherapy treatment despite the fact that it's not covered by insurance. I also put the Dec 13 surgery on hold to see how the prolotherapy is going to help especially that none of the surgeons I spoke to for second opinion encouraged me to do the arthoplasty! Good luck to all and I will keep you posted on my treatment... keeping my fingers crossed that it will help with my back and foot pain!!
Reinjured myself 3 weeks after surgery with shooting pain left leg
2 epidural injections didn't help
Left foot pain, numbness and slight back pain
Old 12-07-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
I had my first treatment last Thu where Dr injected my lower back with a dextrose solution (and something else!!), gave me few back exercises to do every morning and asked me not to workout (except walking) for 2 weeks. He said that usually patients see positive results after 3 treatments. Amazingly I started feeling little better starting from the next day and everyday after that I feel better and better!!
Wow. That's certainly encouraging. Here's to hoping that it continues to work and that yo can avoid surgery.

Good luck! Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 12-28-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:

* leg pain is much better but my foot still hurts - actually it feels like sunburnt
I have not heard anyone say this before other than me. I found out that my Sunburnt feeling was a reaction to Lyrica. Not sure what meds you are on.. but wanted to let you know that my sunburnt skin reaction was from that medication.

I am so glad you found something to help with your pain! I am very curious to know more about this treatment you are having! I had L5-S1 ADR and a few Rhizotomies since. I am very thankful for my disc, it has changed my life! Now just searching out things to help with my residual pain.
Chiropractics, Ortho, PT, surgeon to neurologist to new surgeon.
6 years chronic pain and newer spasms.
MRI's, CT's, EMG, ESI's.
S1 nerve root deviation
Positive DDD L5-S1 discogram VAS 8/10
7.14.09 Signed up for Clinical Trial at TBI
for either a Prodisc-L or Freedom Lumbar Disc
Surgery: October 1st 2009
Recieved Prodisc-L
04-2010 Rhizotomy
12-2010 Rhizotomy #2
Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 PM

I started having the sunburnt feeling after I re-injured myself post micro/laminectomy surgery. I am not taking any meds. But I can say that the prolotherapy is definitely helping. I had 2 treatments so far and having my third in couple of days. I am at least 50% better. My back pain is much better and so is my leg pain/sunburnt feeling. I'll keep you posted with my progress.
Reinjured myself 3 weeks after surgery with shooting pain left leg
2 epidural injections didn't help
Left foot pain, numbness and slight back pain