ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Default Dr. Boeree and surrounding areas.

Wanted to add some things we learned from our trip to England.

We have a Garmin Nuvi and downloaded the UK map from their website. This was GREAT to have. Was not only helpful for directions but also easy to look for grocery, pharmacy, food, etc.

We rented a car which we had for two weeks and cost $350.
At first, it is scary to drive but we quickly got used to it.
Basically, everything to your right has to yield.
Having the car enabled us to come and go as we pleased.
We had a small Ford diesel car which isn't offered here in the US. Can't remember what it was called. Was GREAT on gas and we only used half a tank which was amazing considering we drove all around. Topping that car off for return was a shock.
Their fuel was $8.30 a gallon! $100 for half tank. I will no longer complain about our gas prices.

We spent our first day in London just to sleep and relax.
We stayed at the Marriott Renaissance Heathrow.
$109. Was very nice, nothing to complain about.
We stayed one night here before coming home as well.

There is a pub two miles away called The Pheasant.
Had a fine dining restaurant attached to a more relaxed pub style restaurant. Had a large selection on the menu and the food was very tasty.

We stayed one night at the Holiday Inn in Winchester which is probably about ten minutes from the hospital.
Room was fine, but beds are hard. We asked for an extra comforter which we put under the fitted sheet to make the bed a bit softer. This worked well enough and we slept fine on it.
I think staying here for the entire visit would have been boring.

After the hospital stay, we went to the South Winchester Lodges which are little log cabin lodges located on a PGA golf course. Was very pretty, great for walking, the people who run it are very nice and left me a bouquet of flowers for leaving the hospital (and a bottle of wine which Jim said was a nice gesture but it was not very good and got poured down the drain).

I would say to anyone staying here that you should avoid lodge #1. It is a two bedroom with a hot tub on the deck.
Problem is this lodge has the storage room attached to the bedroom wall. They keep all supplies here for all of the lodges.
You get woke up early and often from them going in and out of this room. Only #1 has this. We stayed in #15 which is also a two bedroom and it was very quiet.
The kitchen had a very large selection of cooking items.
It had a Bosch cooktop and Electrolux convection oven.
I was able to cook easily with items supplied.
I bought ziploc storage bags for leftovers, a sponge, laundry soap, and paper towels as that's about all it didn't have.
Two weeks here in a two bedroom lodge was $1345.

Watrouse is a grocery store that's more higher end.
Sansbury is another and is only 1/2 mile from the lodge.
Getting to the hospital took us ten minutes using the motorway.
I never had to go back to the hospital except to have my staples removed. My hubby went one day and got a few more bandages. It's very easy to get to the hospital from the lodge, but we had a car. I'm assuming you could call a taxi if needed.
The Wessex hotel is located right next to the Winchester Cathedral. The Cathedral is the oldest in London. Is Beautiful inside and nice for a walk. Also, straight up the street from the Cathedral is High Street. It's about a mile of nothing but shops.
Antiques, clothes, food, bakeries, you name it, It's there somewhere. We spent most of our time here. Lots of walking and shopping. People were very friendly and bought some good souvenirs here.

We found that asking local people where to eat lead to some good finds. Had lunch with Dr. Boeree at the Olde Forge pub.
Eastleigh had some good places too. Ate at Prezzo which is in Eastleigh and South Hampton. Owned by Italians and chefs were from Italy. Some of the best food we had.
Here is a link to their site that shows the menus:

Prezzo Restaurants - Welcome

We drove around South Hampton.
Yuck. Completely different feel. More like a big city.
More locals and youths. Checked out the West Quay mall.
We didn't like it here and went back to Winchester.
Definitely nicer in Winchester and Eastleigh.
We had some really good meals and after reading on here, we weren't expecting this.
Porterhouse is where everyone said to eat if you want steak.
La Fenice was another Italian restaurant and all things are made in house, even the sausage. Was very good.

Was surprised at how much we enjoyed ourselves.
Would like to go back and see more.

Dr. Boeree was GREAT. Hospital was fine (food sucked), staff was very friendly and efficient.
Would go back without hesitating if necessary.
Winchester is very safe and a lovely area.

Hope this is helpful to anyone else considering Dr. Boeree