ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Default Reposting this for new member, GD

Default ADR Success and Choosing an EU Doctor

Hi folks,

I'm looking to get multi-level lumbar ADR with motion preserving stabilization. I base that on the "prescription" for multi-level fusion here in the USA. Like me, anyone that's read medical literature of all the failures and adjacent level deterioration of that type of fusion knows it's just not right. You can't fix a tire with concrete and expect it to roll well or last long! Fusion is not an option for me, nor I suspect for many of you as well.

So my recent 2nd bilateral multilevel decompression failed a couple months ago. I know that, because well my life isn't too good right now, and the first one 10 yrs ago did a wonderful job at the time (knew immediately that things were better). While I know what I want to have done (above) per my literature reviews & medical consults, I have no idea how to choose a credible clinic and doctor. I see lots of slick ads, but how to tell them apart? I had an acquaintance that recommended Dr. Veegers and was happy with the multi-leve ADR results, but I believe Dr. Veegers passed away.

I'm interested in everyones testimonial, but let's face it, we're all different although we may share a lot of intense back pain. For me, looking at a wheel chair soon, can't walk upright, every action is pain, and laughable to say, I'm in good health otherwise! Any advice on how to systematically choose the right surgeon in the EU (Germany was main focus because of their experience at this)? Price matters a bit because it's out of pocket and I don't exactly fly with the jet set, but permanent recovery to a reasonably active life is that which matters most for me & my family & friends. How to choose a successful option?

Sorry for the long note, my best to all of you. Our family's can sympathize, but the really can't emphathize because this pain and dysfunction is endemic to each of us.

Best regards & wishing each of you the best results and relief from pain and dysfunction (pain alone, meh, dysfunction is what really sucks).

G D Beckett, Utah

multi-level (ML) lumbar spondylo
ML lumbar DDD
ML lumbar facet hypertrophy & arthritis
ML spinal ligament hypertrophy
ML lumbar stenosis, both stem and main nerves
Other medical words that I can't pronounce or spell (Baastrups??)
Pain, lots of pain and then some more for good measure!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-27-2020, 08:30 PM
Administrator

GD, you posted your intro on someone else's topic, so I cut and pasted your introduction. I hope this helps.

What insurance do you have? Have you looked into coverage? Which doctors have you consulted with so far?
Old 09-28-2020, 09:39 AM

GD, your signature has a couple of worrisome things in it. Between spondy, DDD and facet damage, you've got a lot going on and may not be able to get ADRs. What I'd suggest is getting copies of your imaging studies, the actual images and not just the radiologist's report, together with any diagnostic work you have and to get them out a couple of the better known EU docs like Clavel and Bertagnoli.

With as much as you have going on in your spine, you're likely to want multiple opinions rather than just going with one surgeon as you're likely to hear a mix of options from all-fusion, fusion-ADR hybrids, to maybe even all-ADR. Piecing together who offered what and why they offered that will then be the task, rather than finding the "ONE DOC" to work on your back. Spondy is a contraindication for ADR. Facet damage can be a contraindication, but even if it's not, facets can be further damaged by the use of ADR instead of fusion. If both conditions are mild, though, ADR can reverse them to some extent. Laura, for one, had mild facet hypertrophy which became asymptomatic within 5-ish years after her lumbar ADR but it did take a rhizotomy and prolotherapy to buy time and encourage healing.

I don't know where in Utah you are. Laura started her spine adventures when we were living in a small town in northern Utah. At the time we found significant bias against Europe, in general, and against our decision to pursue European surgeons. Follow-up or subsequent discussions about unrelated conditions with Utah MDs, DOs, physical therapists became difficult. This was around a decade and a half ago but I'd make sure your general care physician is aware of your desire to look for a EU surgeon and is willing to continue working with you.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 09-28-2020, 03:32 PM

Thank you for the response and posting. I currently have a cost-share (Zion Health), but the condition is pre-existing so I don't believe I'll see any contribution from there. I may need to look for another job that has better coverage.

Best regards and thanks again!
Old 09-28-2020, 03:39 PM

Default ADR Success and Choosing an EU Doctor

Thank you for the thoughts. Yes, you are correct, there are some contra-indications. But, the spondylo is Grade I and has remained stable for 10 years. The loss of disc height is, at least according to my back doctor, a primary cause for the facet arthritis and associated stenosis.

I will check with the clinics you mentioned, a much appreciated starting point. And to your observation, yes, I've been told by several US surgeons that the EU docs are blowing smoke up our proverbial tourist posteriors. Fusion is the gold standard! Well, NLM readings tell me fusion is a measure that is extreme, leads to almost as many poor outcomes as good, will elminate my atheletic endeavors (such as they are). There is a reason they don't fuse knees; joints are meant to move! Maybe it's too late for me, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Thank you again, much appreciated to hear about Laura's success.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Hello GDB.

Hey, when you can, pls see:

https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11053

Thanks.