ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:32 PM

Has anyone in this community had ADR after having prior abdominal surgery? Most of the resources I've talked to are providers in spine clinics who don't sound very encouraging. I have only heard from one patient whose situation was somewhat similar to mine. Is there anyone else out there? Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:13 PM

Good question. I had an umbilical hernia repaired w/mesh. I asked Dr. Regan if this is a problem re: entry, re-herniation and he said no. I have read otherwise but forget source. You're probably talking about larger scale operations; sorry can't help.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:29 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, I had both an appendectomy and hysterectomy in 95. I have DDD in L4-5, L5-S1. My doctor recommended two level ADR but did not realize that I had the prior surgeries. Are you scheduled with Dr. Regan? I'm talking online with someone who is scheduled with him in August.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:54 AM

A: I'm not scheduled b/c I'm in a medium reprieve from pain. Are you sure that you're not a candidate? Have you seen Regan and Bray in LA? Best of luck, Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:32 AM

I would say I'm 90% but I haven't actually seen Regan or had anyone who does ADR look at my records. I talked with the surgical coordinator in Santa Monica and the Texas Back Institute. They weren't very encouraging. I'm meeting with my surgeon on June 6 to talk about my options. I'll mention it. Thanks. Glad you're having a reprieve-- What do you consider a medium reprieve from pain? How did you injure your back?
Anne
Old 05-27-2005, 03:00 PM

I am scheduled for ADR on the 15th of June and they said that my prior abdominal surgeries (appendectomy, hysterectomy, scar tissue removal and 6 laprascopic surgeries due to endometriosis) are not an issue.

Just FYI

ADR June 15, 2005 WOOOO HOOOOO
Herrniated L5-S1, Tear in Annulus
Old 05-27-2005, 05:03 PM

Wow--! I had an appendectomy and hysterectomy with lots of old scar tissue from endometriosis too. This is the most encouraging thing I've hear so far. Do you mind telling me how old you are? I'm 53. I need ADR for L4-5 and L5-S1. Who is your dr? Are you having a general surgeon doing the abdominal cut in addition to your back surgeon? My brother lives in Seattle so I could even go there if I had to.
Thanks so much for your reply, Nicole. You must be very excited.
Anne
Old 05-28-2005, 03:10 PM

Hi annec,

I also had abdominal surgery, but not to the same extent as you. I had laparscopic surgery to remove a large dermoid cyst from my right ovary in 2000. Docs say not a problem. Hope this helps and good luck!

JULIE

If God brings you to it,
He will bring you through it.
Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:27 PM

Thanks, Julie. I appreciate the input--every bit helps. Who is Dr. B. and where are you scheduled? How were you able to get an okay for 3 discs--that's amazing! Good luck to you. I'll follow your progress.

Anne
-----------------------
53 y/o
DDD L4-5, L5-S1
Failed endoscopic discectomy 7/04
Old 05-28-2005, 05:24 PM

Dano thinks very highly of Bray and I respect his acumen. Another alternative is to use Mark's service too and get ideas from say Bray, Regan, Dr. B., Yue, - all the big names. Best of luck, Allan