ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:13 AM

Default Surgery date set

I was going to go in March but decided a couple of weeks ago to schedule for ASAP which is January 17th. I'll leave home on the 12th arrive in Panang Malaysia on the 14th, do some pre-op stuff on the 15th check in the hospital on the 16th and have my surgery early on the 17th. I'll be in the hospital for 5 days and then spend 9 days in the hotel about 3 blks from the hospital and recoup. I guess if i'm up to it I can do some site seeing too.

I havn't seen any post where members have had the Discover disc put in but from the research i've done and the good reports from my docs patients I'm looking forward to having it done and letting you all know how it turns out.

I've been in pain for so long now I'm not sure if I'll know how to act!

__________________________________________________ ___________
Fall from a ladder in 05
Lots of pain and Lots of test
DDD C 5,6,7
Opted for two level ADR
Let you know how it turns out
Old 01-01-2009, 02:50 PM

Hi Richard

There's a member on the UK forum who had Discover cervical disc surgery in December and he is doing really well, here's a link to his posts if you're interested:

http://z6.invisionfree.com/adrsuppor...iew=getnewpost

http://z6.invisionfree.com/adrsuppor...iew=getnewpost

Good luck with your trip and I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Best wishes

Lynda

Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Question Two weeks out!

Lynda, thx for sharing that post...

Richard, there have been a number of patients that have received the Discover in the US within the clinical trial period(s), but I believe they are one-level trials.

Two weeks to go...are you flying business class? Man, that's a looooonngggg trip for any spine patient!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 PM

Lynda,

Thanks for the post its always good to hear the success stories when your waiting for surgery. I guess I am starting to get a little anxious but excited too. Harrison; Unfortunaly I didn't get the business or first class seat, I am going to try and upgrade the long flights but they wanted over 8K each ticket and I only spent 4K for both my wife and I. I'm hoping that I can upgrade for another 4K or less for the both of us on the flight from San Fran to Hong Kong but if it doesn't work out we'll make do. Thanks for the site and all you do.

Richard
DDD C 5,6,7 opted for two level ADR
Surgery in Malaysia January 09
Using Discover disc
Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Builder,

It would be awesome if your able to upgrade your return trip to first or business class. Take it from someone who traveled out of state to have surgery twice. The first time I did the coach route and my return trip was pretty uncomfortable... yes I managed but... And the second trip I did do the first class route, that extra room just made all the difference in the world.

Mind you it wasn't for back/neck surgery but thoracic outlet repair. And the flights were only from California to and from Colorado not like your international flights.

I DO understand the cost factor though, amazing the difference between a few inches of seating and leg room isn't it?

Ohh, and I also found out that if you let the airlines know you are medically "fragile" they will greet you at the gate usually with a golf cart for transportation through the airport. Something that might be very helpful for you, especially post op.
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:50 AM

Teobin,

Thank you for the info I will try letting them know about my condition, getting a ride to and from terminals might be great. I've got about 4k extra in my budget and am planning to see about upgrading the long flight at least. We had to do that once for a friend who got injured, he was able to upgrade his flight from australia from coach to first for about 1k. I'm gonna make sure i'm at the airport early and see what is available, unfortunatly I just couldn't justify the extra 16k for round trip tickets for my wife and I. My wife did offer to go coach but I just couldn't do that to her. She is a wonderful woman and she doesn't like to fly, it was really nice of her and it means a lot to me that she offered cuase I know how much she hates to fly. I've been to japan twice and Vanautu 3 times and europe about 12 so I have figured out how to make the best of the long flights but i'm still hoping for the upgrades. We leave a week from tommorow and I know this week will be crazy trying to get everything ready to go. Thank you everyone for you incouragement.

Richard
DDD C 5,6,7 opted for two level ADR
Surgery in Malaysia January 09
Using Discover disc
Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Builder,

The countdown begins. You will likely find yourself going through an array of emotions in this final week and a half. Fortunately, you will be crazy busy which is a good distraction. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Pretty soon you will be "on the other side" and be on the road to recovery. I'm sure you've perused the archives for having surgery abroad, but if you haven't, they offer much appreciated ideas and advice.

Best to you!

Cindylou
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Default upgrades

Richard,

My son had lots of frequent flyer miles and was willing to share. My husband and I went to Germany coach and upgraded me to first-class on the return trip. We had to buy the expensive coach ticket for me so that I would be eligible for the upgrade with ff points.

I know it's getting close to departure time, but do you know anyone who would be willing to give you or even sell you ff points. Maybe you could google to see if anyone has them for sale or maybe a civic group that would help? I've heard of this but never looked into it. We have an American Airline pilot who posts, maybe he would have some suggestions. Maybe this is something that adrsupport could look into for the future.

My husband was allowed to come to first-class soon after we departed. Can you cry?? After we were in the air, I asked if my husband could sit with me. First-class was almost empty, including the seat beside me. They told me no, I started crying - scared, in pain, boo hoo, please, just had major surgery that we had to pay cash to get, pain meds make me , need husband to watch over me (this is important!) boo hoo and more pleading. The head stewardess came back to me and said she would see what she could do and in the meantime she take him a complimentary drink.

Shortly after, she told me that as soon as they served dinner she'd go back and get him! Talk about comfortable and the food was fantastic, little lamb ribs with all the trimmings, as good as any restaurant food.

Good luck in trying to get an upgrade and prayers for a steady surgeon's hands and attentive nurses.

Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-06-2009, 12:41 AM

Default Praying for you

Richard,
I will be praying for a successful surgery for you! Can't wait to read about your surgery and recovery! Best Wishes, God Bless, Kathy
Old 01-06-2009, 02:20 PM

Richard,

Just thought of something else. I took my bed pillow in addition to a carry-on. Made it thru customs and onto planes. I found that the window seat allowed me to put my pillow in the crack between the seat and the window, giving me more room and allowing several different positions to try and get comfortable. It was also nice having my pillow in the hotels and my room after surgery (pack several pillowcases, don't want you getting germs!). Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany