ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:46 PM

Red face New Here, 2 weeks until C5-6 C6-7 ADR

Hello All

I'm scheduled to have a two level ADR with the Mobi-C with Dr. Kim at UC Davis in Sacramento, California. I'm a bit nervous about the surgery, and would love to get feedback from all the folks here.

How I ended up needing this surgery is quite a story, but the short version is that 8 1/2 years ago, while working as a Fire Captain, I was turned into a human speed bump by the person we were sent to help. I was run down by this person because he was already on Felony probation, and wanted to get away before the police arrived at the scene. He punched one of my crew and ran me down in the process of fleeing, and was apprehended shortly thereafter by the police. He was sentenced to 8 years in prison, served 4, and was out before my Worker's Comp case was settled.

The herniated discs that resulted from this incident (among other injuries) have degraded dramatically since then, and I've tried every treatment I could find to mitigate the relentless pain, headaches, etc. These included epidurals, facet joint injections, trigger point injections, botox injections for migraines, Radio Frequency Ablation at C2 through C7 three times, physical therapy, occupational therapy, traction, chiropractic, acupuncture, and massage. I think that's everything, anyway. I went to see Dr. Kim in April of this year, and he agreed that I was a candidate for a two level replacement. I expected a huge battle with Worker's Comp, but by some miracle they approved the procedure on the first request! So, I'm two weeks out, and would love any advice that anyone has to share, particularly if anyone has had experience with Dr. Kim and the UC Davis Spine Center.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Hey Captain, welcome. When you can:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11053

Let me know if you need help!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-01-2016, 07:56 PM

Question Signature test run

I think I got this right. Thanks Harrison! If you've heard anything about UC Davis Spine Center or Dr Kee Kim, I'd love your feedback
Herniated Discs C5-6, C6-7
Thoracic outlet syndrome, cervical radiculopathy,
cervical myelopathy
Had 2 level ADR with Mobi-C at UC Davis Medical Center on 9/14/16.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:23 PM

Exclamation Really need some support....

Hello again,

Had my pre-op visit yesterday, and everything looks like a go for surgery in one week. I'm hoping to hear from someone here who has had the Mobi-c implanted, even better if you've had two levels. If anyone has any feedback on Dr. Kee Kim at the UC Davis Spine Center, I would really love to hear that, too.

C'mon People! There must be someone out there who can offer some encouragement!
cervical myelopathy
Old 09-07-2016, 08:09 PM

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers! I have been so busy with work that I not been on the site much for the last 1-1/2. I plan on trying to start contributing again. I had a 3 level lumbar(S1/L5,L5/L4,L4/L3) just over 3 years ago. I am very happy with my outcome. Unfortunately my cervical issues have been flaring up a bit more, still hoping to get back under control w/out surgery. Remember that recovery is like the stock market and has up and downs. When your in a "down' be sure to compare to the last "down" and not the last "up"

Good Luck!
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 09-07-2016, 09:03 PM

Default No personal experience with Dr. Kim

But I've read as many scholarly publications as I could get my hands on since my "ordeal" began and his name frequently appears in the author/researcher credits in the small library I've managed assemble. I remember because the credits are often the section within scientific publications that I am able to fully comprehend...:-)

If I'm not mistaken he was one of the surgeons who participated in the actual Mobi-C two level clinical trials and while it's not a personal testimonial I think it's a pretty favorable indication. A while back someone was asking for help finding the best surgeons in the US for two level cervical and one of the senior members, can't remember who, said to check out the researchers credited in the report from the clinical trial because they would be the surgeons with the most experience.

Probably stuff you already know and have thought about but I got sick of the crickets so thought I'd jump in.:-)

I hope I'm not misremembering the whole clinical trial participant thing. But if he was part of the trials I would take some reassurance in that. By comparison, the month after I decided I wanted to go the two level Mobi-C route, my neurosurgeon attended LDRs training for the procedure...

Above all, best wishes and I hope next week is the beginning of a new and pain free life.
May 2016 to present - Appealing. Summit the couch daily; trek to restroom/kitchen as necessary.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:49 PM

Default You're spot on...

River,
You've remembered correctly, and that's how I found Dr. Kim, was by reading those same publications that indicated he was heading the clinical trial of the Mobi-C. I was just really, really hoping that someone here had already had him as their surgeon.
I do take his involvement with the trials to be a very good thing for his experience level. He's now been doing ADR's with the Mobi C for 10 years. Even if he only did one a week, that's 500 patients. That seems like enough to me to get the hang of it.
I'm just really surprised that no one here has had him as their surgeon. I was hoping to get a first-hand account. But, I'll be posting my own trials and tribulations here as I go through the recovery process, so he'll have at least one review.
If you've seen Dr. Kim's name on studies, you've probably already seen the 5 year follow up study, and the cost comparison paper wherein they make the case that ADR is cheaper than a fusion, and that it has better outcomes. If you haven't these will help in your appeal process.
Good Luck!
cervical myelopathy
Old 09-09-2016, 12:40 AM

Default Nervous

Welcome to our world. I'm not on the other side yet I'm a few weeks away also, but on the being a bit nervous? All I can say is wow! I'm a lot nervous n all I suggest is to say you have done your home work n made the best choices you can make and avoid reading any negativity at this point in your venture. Words can not describe my degree of nervousness even though I know my chances of being better off are good. I am trying to stay away from any negitive stories on ADR but it's hard for me. But probably like you I'm at the end of the road of living like in hell!

As far as your situation, it's appalling that the guy can run over a public service employee and serve less time than the hell you have been living in. Crazy country we live in. I use to be proud n immediately after 911 public service employees become tops on my list of things that made America great. But since then the system our elected officials have in place make me wonder how much longer we have at being top dog in the world?

I personally want to thank you for your years of service allowing guys like me to go away for work n feel confident my family is safe due to people like you!

Thank you

Break a leg

Gabe
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 09-10-2016, 01:03 AM

Default 2 Level Mobi-C

Hey GirlCaptain, I can respond to yout request for "someone here who has had the Mobi-c implanted, even better if you've had two levels".

I had two levels (C6-C7 and C7-T1) replaced in November 2015 with the Mobi-C disc in Colorado, so about 10 months ago. They have been absolutely great for me, I was skiing some of the toughest mogul runs at Vail and Winter Park/Mary Jane in March and have been mountain biking all summer and my neck feels great. My C5-C6 also could use a new disc, but since it is not approved in the states I had to wait on that one. That one gives me some grief from time to time but over all there is very little I wont do physically, I would not hesitate to do it again, in fact I would go for that third level if i could.

At this point my neck feels better than it has in years, I can't tell that there is anything artificial in there at all. I have had no clicking or stability issues that others have been concerned about at all.

I can't speak for your surgeon as I used Dr. Vikas Patel, but I have no complaints about the Mobi-C discs, they have been great for me.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
2013 C7/T1 Massive Disc Herniation (extruded)
2013 C5/C6 Severe DDD - Never bothered me (discovered with C7/T1 MRI)
2013 C6/C7 Severe DDD - Never bothered me (discovered with C7/T1 MRI)
11/2015 Mobi-C at C6-C7 & C7-T1 by Dr. Vikas Patel