ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:34 PM

Hello all, this is my second posting. Do muscle spasms come with this territory, also does my leg just "giving out from under me", falling down just come with these disc problems? Please help me understand. Thanks, Hope.

L4-L5, L5-S1. All testing, nerve studies, 4 injections, multilevel spondylosis, scolosis in lumbar and both disc ready to blow.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Good Lord Hope, that sounds very serious. As you know, we are not docs, just a group of spine patients from all over the world. But from my layman's perspective, falling down demands the attention of the right doctor ASAP! It could be a spinal nerve issue, or something else. Given your spine history, what does your spine doc say about it? Your PCP?

It was nice talking to you last week. After our chat, I checked to see if I could find a few good references on "spondylosis" and found what appears to be a useful overview; see this link. There are other references, but I like the picture and overview...

Given this problem, it's quite likely that you MAY be disqualified from ADR, but talk to your doctor(s) about this issue. We can chat again later this week.

BTW: Nerve studies suck. Has anyone every found good diagnostic information from them? Or is it just too much fun to torture us...and send us the bill?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-02-2008, 06:37 PM

Laura's gotten good information from nerve studies but it was a three hour long, stick everything all at once, extravaganza before enough could be determined to help her. She had the normal one-area-at-a-time style of nerve testing and gained the only information possible from that kind of testing: it hurts and it's expensive.

Hope, by any chance do you have problems with other joints beyond your spine? Knees possibly? I only ask because knee damage can lead to something called quadricept inhibition that can lead to your leg giving out from under you as the muscle fails to protect a damaged joint. I would say, though, if you aren't sure you have serious knee damage on that leg, I'd treat it as a serious spinal problem rather than take the risk of ignoring the problem.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 01-03-2008, 02:42 AM

Harrision, I went to the link. This was absolutly the best description of my problem. Thank you for caring about a stranger so much. My appt. with Dr. Stephen James in Cumming, Ga. is on Jan. 16th. However, I am printing the link and faxing to pcp. I am on valium for the spasms and demerol for this constant pain. These help, but that is all. I will contact my pfp this am.

anna, What made me seek a doctor in the first place was this pain in my hip, and it felt like my femur was broken. That is the only thing I felt. No back pain!!! The MRI said my hip was perfect. Only when I developed a loss of control below the knee did I seek a 2nd opinion.
The nerve study showed that below the knee stays in a constant state of spasm, above the knee showed no response at all. not even with an electrode attached to the needle(shocking it). Summary, not aware of a knee problem.

I do feel that my pcp needs to be aware of this as he "looks" at me like I'm crazy. He leaves me feeling that way and I guess thats what matters. Thanks for the input and I will post when I know more. Thanks ya'll, Hope
Old 01-25-2008, 02:42 AM

Good news-Bad news, Hello all, I hope everyone is well. Well, appt. with dr. james went very well. I am a candidate for ADR. However, my sacrum in only attached on one side. Once reattachment of this area is complete, it may make it a different outcome for me. I am on hold for now as my father-in-law had a hemorragic stroke of the brain stem and it has been almost 3 weeks since his stroke. As his condition is stable, mine on the other hand is not. I am having to change to a different doc midstream to be closer to home and make this situation more managable for my husband. I would like to thank everyone for their support and such helpful information. My best to all, Hope
Old 01-25-2008, 08:39 AM

Hope:

It sounds like you at least have some answers to work with. Sorry about your father-in-law. I hope that you can find a good surgeon to take care of your spine and get you back pain-free and enjoying a quality life. Welcome to the group.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5