ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:51 AM

Hi. I'm starting to use Pilates machines for back stabilization - in conjunction with sit-ups, assuming what I think the Cobra position (a no-no post ADR), etc.

I nearly died on the Pilates machines at the beginning level yesterday. Too bad insurance pays for only 22 visits. I'm actually impressed by this LA fad. One exercise works the quads but if you have knee problems, you'll feel it.

Will have to revert to mat Pilates afterwards. My PT says not to do any aerobics yet as I'm not stabilized. I don't know if I'll ever be w/spondy-whatever-that-is. So I'm chewing my arms in the meantime. Heck, I can't even tread water with my arms in deep water - let alone kick up and down. I'm tempted to have one final good run and ruin it all.

I suggest this under a good PT's care and I'm certain that many here have had/still use some techniques post-ADR.

Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:39 PM

Pilates was a part of my regular fitness routine prior to my back injury. The strength, flexibility, and balance that I achieved helped me recover post-adr. It's good to know that you are under the supervision of a qualified professional.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 07-19-2006, 02:27 AM

My surgeon prescribes pilates with his recommended physiotherapist beginning 2-3 weeks post-op. They concentrate on core stability and leg and arm strengthening only I think.
I've had an initial asessment and begin tomorrow.
Cathy
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 07-19-2006, 01:55 PM

Crystal: I'm not surprised that a "musher" like yourself did/does Pilates. I think you used this modality along with that Swiss Ball and other stuff.

Cathy: Good luck! I'm hope they are super-careful so soon after surgery!

Best, Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.