ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:23 AM

Am pre-ADR.

Not sure what hurt me in the gym yesterday.

1) I wonder if this machine is as innocuous as it seems; something tells me it's trouble:

http://www.changingshape.com/exercise/strengthtraining/...machineseatedrow.asp

2) A stair-step machine - the one with the large steps where you lift your leg high to reach the next step. Kinda like walking uphill on tall steps but leaning forward a bit.

Any ideas?

Thanks - ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:42 AM

Just keep your chest up against the pad and keep your back muscles TIGHT, and simply keep the spine in the neutral position, this close grip row machine by Cybex does not compress nor flex the spine, keep the spine as motionless and tight (contract) as possible. You might have just made a wrong movement while doing this. Actually I think it is great you are doing these.

The stair machine, is not going wreck havoc on the spine either.

GOOD JOB Allen!!
Old 05-28-2006, 07:54 AM

I don't know... I am pre ADR too and my PT had me on the eliptical at a very moderate speed so I could control my posture...but still the rotating motion of my hips during this irritated by back. She told me to stop walking because I my radiating pain increased after walking. The PT said its the pounding/jarring of the feet during walking that could be aggravating my back. She put me on the eliptical to avoid the pounding and I know it's much easier on the back than those huge stair steppers.

You might want to try the eliptical instead and if you still have pain like me...try swimming.

I stick to modified swimming using only arms and then only legs with a kickboard. With the kickboard...I don't hold it the traditional way because everyone says that's horrible for the back. Instead I put my chest on top of the kickboard with my arms curled around it from underneath..it forces you to pike your legs down keeping your back in a better position. Still gets you a leg work out just moving a little slow.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 05-28-2006, 10:24 AM

My PT cautioned me about walking on any type of incline. It may seem simple and healthy at the time, but a change of spinal alignment and leaning forward can put undue pressure on the low back.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 05-28-2006, 12:58 PM

Thanks all for your advice. I've tried both the elliptical and swimming w/the kickboard. I wonder if treading in deep water is safest. Also, Andromeda, always appreciate words when I wander from my pizza trays.

Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.