ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 AM

Default Has anyone considered Medical Tourism Insurance?

Hi,

I'm new to posting, but have been reading the board for quite some time and it's been extremely helpful. I was wondering if anyone who has gone abroad form surgery has looked into getting the Medical Tourism Insurance or has actually had experience having to make a claim against one.

Thank you.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 AM

If you are thinking that medical toursm insurace would pay for surgery, dont bother as it is a preexisting condition and not the result of something coming up during your travels - you will assuredly get denied when you claim since you are travelling for the surgery. It MIGHT be useful if something unexpected occurs but my guess is even that is excluded in the agreement.
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012
Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 PM

Oh I know that, like most of you, that's how I got here. Denied by my insurance company. I was talking about the insurance policies specifically for medical tourism that provide coverage for complications and such.

This one states it covers:

http://www.compassbenefits.com/medical_tourism_insurance.html

Plan features include:
  • Medical Complications Coverage up to US $250,000
  • Trip Cancellation coverage
  • Medical Evacuation coverage
  • JCI & Non-JCI Accredited Hospitals Accepted
  • Coverage Worldwide Including the United States
  • Travel Companion Coverage
  • Repatriation of Mortal Remains
  • Underwritten by Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's of London
I'm mostly worried about a complication that would cause a longer hospital stay or another surgery or something like that, and of course, that would result in a change in travel arrangements, more housing expense, etc.

I just submitted a quote request a little bit ago, I'm assuming it will come along with the actual policy guidelines. The website has more of the "marketing version".

I hadn't found anyone discussing it so I was wondering if everyone else just knows something I don't.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 PM

Keep us posted on your results with the insurance. I am getting ready to make arrangements with Clavel and was thinking about getting some insurance myself. God bless
4/11 pain came on and has settled in for good
facet blocks
7 injections
DRX 9000 traction (no help)
Fentanyl patch and 15 mg oxycodon for breakthrough
4 MRI Bulging L5S1 and DDD
3 Dr's suggest ADR
1/13 discogram 7-8/10 pain
2/28/13 ADR scheduled xxxx canceled
3/21/13 L5S1 ADR M6 with Dr. Clavel who else?:-)
Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Default Medical Tourism Insurance

I think "the Word" is Don't get medical tourism insurance! It's a waste of money.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 PM

Is that because you're the ultimate optimist and nothing will go wrong, or because they'll find a way not to cover it when it does? (Just like Cigna did.)
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icanraceit View Post
Keep us posted on your results with the insurance. I am getting ready to make arrangements with Clavel and was thinking about getting some insurance myself. God bless
Will do, Icanraceit. So far , all I've gotten is a generic email back that said "for a $50,000 capital sum policy would be around $1,000. I've attached a summary of benefits for your review. " I wrote back asking if that should be read as $1000/50k up to 250k, and also told the rep I'd need the detailed policy. I guess we'll see. It's obviously pricey, at least from this company. I'll let you know if I get further information.

My problem is that flights (for miles) are disappearing meanwhile, I haven't heard back from Dr. Clavel regarding the MRI results I sent this week (just got updated one's last week. The one's he's seen are from Oct. 2011), and I just got my metal allergy test kit and will be doing the blood draw and sending that back tomorrow, and then, they need 10 days to establish whether I have an allergy or not. It's kind of hard to buy non-refundable plane tickets without having all the results.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Hi, I checked into this type of insurance as I was considering going overseas for my surgery. What I discovered is that in all most cases or a least the two providers I inquired with they do not cover thrombosis (blot clots) which a risk after any type of surgery.

Best of luck,

Dean
Massage, chiro
4 shots, no relief
Ct, 3mri's
all activities stopped, day by day
DDD @ L5 S1
Examined by 3 surgeons,
Consulted with 2 out of country surg, all reco ADR
Surgery Oct. 26, 2012 by Dr. Bouchard, Pro Disc L
Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM

Thanks Dean,

Thrombosis was definitely up there on my list of reasons for checking into this. I'll be sure to check that specifically before buying anything. If the companies that provide "complication" insurance end up excluding all of the most common complications associated with surgery....