ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:58 AM

well next sat is the day i'm not looking forward too.
i have smoke away coming.time has come after 35 yrs of smoking i must stop for the fda trials.my biggest problem is that i must lose 9 lbs also.thats going to make this harder seeing as i gained last time i tried to quit.in order to get in the study i have to have stoped smoking and weigh no more then 209lbs.
chuck
Old 04-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Way to go, Chuck! Any time you feel like you want to light up, just have a looksie at this FAQ:

http://www.adrsupport.org/private-cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cg...t_topic;f=6;t=000095

Congrats on your decision, it will really help you!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-09-2006, 12:14 PM

I smoked between 1-1 1/2 paks a day for 8 years & quit cold turkey on New Year's Eve & happened to be the designated driver that night. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. No one thought I would be able to do it but I stuck with it just to prove them wrong! The downside of quiting for me was that I became addicted to candy canes for a few months. All I can suggest is to keep some sugar free hard candy around & if you feel that urge to smoke, pop a candy. I wish you the best on your road to becoming smoke free.
Karin
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09
Old 04-09-2006, 03:12 PM

Hi Chuck,

Keep us posted of your triumphs and struggles. We will be your support team as you tackle these lifestyle changes. Theere are so many strategies and tools to help with the stoppage of smoking. With both items, try to substitute something healthy for the unhealthy habit. We'll be here to cheer you along and provide motivation for your changes.

You can do it! Be strong and healthy!
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 04-09-2006, 03:24 PM

Hey Chuck
Just keep reminding yourself why you're quitting smoking and need to lose weight. It will be worth it. Some people might say it's a small price to pay (but it will take you some time to agree!). Good luck.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:10 PM

Hi Chuck:
We are in this together--I too am in the process of quitting. I am using Final Smoke, some concoction I found on the Web and it does seem to control urges. The kit also includes a concoction to control weight but I find that Altoids cinnamon chewing gum is a great substitute for both food and cigarettes.
I will also be interested to know how your spinal symptoms change, if at all: I've been having some increase in tingling, which has been interpreted as "nerve healing" by some and as loss of the anesthetic effect of nicotine, by others--any thoughts from this community would be appreciated!
Barbara
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 04-10-2006, 04:28 PM

thanks everyone
im sure ill be whinning sat the 15th
chuck