ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default Interesting new pastime- Medical Tourism

It seems medical tourism is on the rise and many countries are actually promoting it. I just read an article on how Mexico is trying to gear up for American's that find the cost differences important when going to a different country to get their procedures done.

Is this an impact of our worsening financial problem here in the US or just a natural progression due to insurance issues that have been long standing for us all?

Mexican Hospitals Aim To Attract More Americans
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...p;sc=YahooNews
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:25 PM

When we started this whole thing, the dollar was strong against the Euro but it was inability to find medical care that drove us to Europe, not the lower costs. Now, the financial situation has reversed, but I'd still drag my bleeding carcass across the state line before I'd let the typical surgeon in this area reassemble me.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 AM

Default Hopefully Price and Quality

I'm heading to Malaysia next month for my two level ADR. I had went through the nightmare of dealing with my insurance plans doctors who have told me everything and anything it seems reguarding my neck issues but in the end they offered a fusion than I mentioned ADR so they went that way, then backed out and offered fusion again. By then I was allready sold on the possible benefits of ADR and wanted to go this way instead of fusion but becuase I need two levels done and that is not FDA approved yet I started checking into going overseas.

During my initial research of ADR I was continually bumping into the Stenum web site and so I first went there, I didn't even know about medical tourism.
As I researched going overseas for my surgery I found lots of sites and countries offfering medical tourism. I eventually settled on a company that is called MeRetreat they are US based and help people plan all kinds of surgeries in several different countries. They have traveled to these different countries and searched out hostpitals and doctors that they could recomend to their cliants of which I am one now. The great thing for me is that I've found a doctor that has performed over 100 ADR surgeries, a very up to date Hospital and a great Country to visit. My local Nuerosurgeon that had offered ADR had done one ADR and I would have been his second ADR patient had I had it done here. As stated the Euro is not Dollar freindly right now and I feel like i'll be getting just as good of care in Malaysia as I would get in Germany and I was Quoted over 50K in Germany and I'll be paying 25K in Malaysia.

I'll let you know how it turns out

January 14th using the Discover disc
Old 12-24-2008, 01:22 AM

I certainly hope you receive the level of care that you are counting on in Malaysia. But frankly, I beg to differ on your statement of believing you will get the same level of expertise as that of Germany. You say your surgeon has performed approximately 100 ADR'S. Dr. Bertagnoli and Dr. Zeegers have EACH performed close to 3,000 ADR'S. 3,000 and 100 is a HUGE DIFFERENCE. No offense, but these are plain facts. Both Dr. B and Dr. Z are well-known to be "the gods of multi-level disc replacement." Just thought a correction was in order.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:26 PM

CindyLou,

Thanks for the damper I never meant to offend and all I stated was ("I feel like i'll be getting just as good of care in Malaysia as I would get in Germany") I can't a won't argue that your surgeons have done more ADR's which may or may not make them better surgeons. I'm glad that you feel that they are the best "Gods" even they would hopefully have a problem with this becuase God's would never make a mistake and I'm sure that even they have made a few. Hopefully I will get just as good of care in Malaysia as I would if I had opted for Germany

Merry Christmas

January 14th using the Discover disc