ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:00 PM

Default US/California insurance and ADR by Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany question

Hi,

I just got a recommendation from Dr. Bertagnoli of two level ADR into c45 and c56.

Even though two level Mobi-C was approved by FDA last month, US surgeons need many years of experience to do multi-level ADR consistently right.

Can someone give me an idea how to deal with US/California insurance companies in order to make the surgery in Germany less financially unjustified?

I greatly appreciate any advises and help...

Cheers,
Vlad
Old 10-20-2013, 11:12 PM

Vlad,

There are currently some attempts for insurance reimbursement for surgical ADR intervention overseas. A few have been successful. Myself, I had submitted all of my information from my surgery with Dr. Bierstedt (operative reports, financials, etc.) to the global portion of my insurance (BC/BS-Illinois).

Although the Mobi-C has been approved for two-level in the U.S., is this the ADR device that Dr. Bertagnoli suggests for you? In my experience, his preference is usually with Pro-Disc (also approved in the US, but I believe there is a newer model - not sure if that one is approved).

Like most of us, we have had to prepay and hope for some type of reimbursement. You may want to contact your insurance carrier for submission requirements or predetermination of benefits.

This is one area that is still unchartered. The ADR is more reliable and logical than dealing with the insurance bureaucrats.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 AM

Vlad,

This link is a thread on this site where the poster got BCBS to cover her two level ADR in Spain. She doesn't post here very often any more, but between her post and PM-ing her, you might get some good information.

Best of luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 10-21-2013, 02:35 PM

Laura
Thank you for the response.
I was not told which ADR device Dr. Bertagnoli going to use in my case, I assume it’s “Prodisc-C Nova”, “Prodisc-C”(approved by FDA for single-level) is not designed for multi-level surgery.
What is the irony… I work almost across SpinalKinetics’s headquarter in Sunnyvale,CA but ther M6 ADR is not for the US, not cleared by FDA :-(
Cheers,
Vlad
Old 10-22-2013, 03:03 PM

Hi Jeff,
On doctor Bertagnoli website i see reccomendation to work with "Third Party Administrators (TPAs) to facilitate reimbursement"
Insurance
Did you heard of anyone doing it?
Cheers,
Vlad
Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 PM

Vlad,

The poster that goes by the handle, gymnist1981, had a third party involved in her successful appeal. I never quite understood the process she went through, but here is a link to her explanation. She had a successful ADR surgery and continues to do very well today. She doesn't post here anymore, but if you PM her, she might respond.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 AM

This is what I've done so far.

I've talked with my insurance and company HR insurance administrator. They wanted a pre-auth before they would discuss covering a foreign surgery. When the Mobi-C cleared 2-level approval I found a doctor that could perform that surgery and requested a consult and then pre-auth from him. The procedures have been approved stating that they are medically necessary for me. I hope to discuss this with my HR rep tomorrow.
C4/5: moderate left neural foramina narrowing
C5/6 moderate canal stenosis and severe bilateral neural foramina narrowing
C6/7 moderate canal stenosis and severe bilateral neural foramina narrowing
C7/T1: Unremarkable
Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 PM

Just thought i'd update on my insurance pre-auth. I was unable to convince my company to pay for Dr L, a US doctor, performing this surgery abroad. They did say they would pay for the Mobi-C at 2-levels by Dr L (at 60% out of network).

The issue that upset me the most was not if they could justify paying for it but if they could justify not paying for it. Given what i have done for this company it really makes me question if i want to continue to work for it.
C4/5: moderate left neural foramina narrowing
C5/6 moderate canal stenosis and severe bilateral neural foramina narrowing
C6/7 moderate canal stenosis and severe bilateral neural foramina narrowing
C7/T1: Unremarkable