ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:06 AM

Angry

Definitely have pain from fusion, see those three freakishly long screws? Bone pain as body tries to figure out what on down there. That will take some time to sort out. Dr Clavel said a year for bone to work through cage.

Postop healing is part of the process and it ain't easy either. Also pain from surgical site, incision as well as nerves from being pinned down and mobilized by the invasive Condor halo, which in my case was repositioned in order to do fusion, so I really took a hit.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:55 AM

Thanks for sharing Drew. I'm sorry you are hurting,praying for a quick recovery and strength and stamina more and more as each day passes.

As much as a the majority of us don't like to complain, I think its important to spell out the real picture post-op, even the worst of the worst. There is harm in patients thinking surgery is a fix all without its own obstacles. Sharing your ups and downs can give others a realistic sense of what to expect and then be better prepared mentally.

You've been a valuble addition to the wealh this forum provides. Bless you!

1Peter 5:9-11
MRI 6/5/14- Ruptured L4-5, bulge at L2-3 and L5-S1 Dr recommends discectomy of L4-5 but won't do surgery until cervical is stable
8/2014- 8 months/3 rounds of appeals, Aetna denies 2 level cervical ADR
2 level ADR w/ mobi-c C5-7 Jan 7, 2015
Old 07-21-2014, 12:45 PM

Honestly felt incredibly good first 8 days postop. Just realizing now it's going to take time as the body adjusts to serious changes. Continue to do my stretches and walk, then eat, ice and rest, repeat. Spain's a good place for that!

Thanks for the scripture too.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:59 AM

Wow, had a great day two days ago, followed by a not so great, to today which is another really good one!

I think being stretched open for so long is starting to finally heal. Also started taking l-carnitine for nerve healing.

A couple cafés have adopted me as their token Americano, getting into a rhythm here. Walking and even sitting today all through breakfast! Wow! Sitting through an entire meal on day 14 postop is a total miracle! Haven't been able to sit for a long time, still getting used to the idea but having no pain while doing it, what a pleasure that was!

And Spain is beautiful, even if I miss the family back home. May even get to the beach tomorrow, that's how good I'm starting to feel. Praise God.

And didn't even have to pop a Valium the entire time since I've been here. Keeping the drug monster at bay. May even taper on the paracetamols and tramadols soon.

And had a really weird dream early this morning when I woke up that I met Vladimir Putin. When we shook hands he was surprised at how strong my grip was and, inspecting my forearm, wanted to know my secret. Not sure what that was about.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:37 AM

Drew,
As you well know, there will be great days, good days and some bad days, the latter will hopefully be fewer for you. I think you'll find new areas of the body that feel different to you - potential new nerve pathways being discovered, maybe these firings enlivening some muscles. I know this has been my experience.

While the recovery may not be 100% smooth, the important thing is that you will recover and be in better shape than you have been in a long time. Anyone who undergoes back surgery will remember what brought them there in the first place. The reduction or elimination of back pain and other symptoms is nothing short of miraculous.

It's slow & steady. As so many have commented before, you will start using different metrics to measure improvement. Rather than evaluating one day compared to another, you may start using weeks and even potentially months. But it is too early for that now. I wish you happy days and continued progress.
2013/2014 – Dessication and significant disc height loss at L4-L5 & L5-S1; L3-L4 disc bulge with hypertrophy; mild spinal stenosis; Grade 1 anterolisthesis (3mm); L4-L5 - marginal spurring and moderate hypertrophy causing neuroforaminal narrowing; L5-S1 - moderate-severe neuroforaminal narrowing; lumbar lordosis is straightening.

New pains & functional limitations in late 2013 led to exploring ADR procedures. Consulted with 8 surgeons domestically and 9 in Europe.
May 2014 – Anterior and posterior incisions in a 5-hour surgery resulted in 2 M-6s and one facet joint prosthesis (dynamic stabilization system). On the road to full recovery.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:30 PM

Feeling truly amazing today! And very grateful, obviously I'm having a great day.

Went to gym. 20 min Stairmaster. Pec deck and tris. Gotta safe, modest burn going. Keeping spine straight, no twisting/bending but feeling good!

Was up on my feet almost all day and sitting also. Driving myself around in truck on short jaunts. Amazing.

Only took one Paracetamol this morning. I think the juicing and blood flow is working to speed up recovery.

Even helped find dead deer on property yesterday to cart off.

Only worry now is I don't blow a disc Clavel didn't touch, but time to modify my activity to avoid stupid crap that would do that since I do have other disc issues. Hopefully they calm down.

Incision pain lessening also.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:54 PM

Update one month out.

Walked 2 miles early this morning. Iced after. Got up for another 3.5 mile walk 2 hours later. Ice again. Will walk again later this evening.

Walking feels the best.

Juicing veggies in-between walks too.