ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 AM

Default New..and reading all I can

Hello! My name is Kate, and I'm trying to learn all I can right now about both fusion and Adr surgery. I have been going through this ordeal since February, when I hurt myself at work lifting heavy bags and over my shoulder. My MRI report says I have at c5/c6 "large left central, and mostly left subarticular disc extrusion, flattening the left anterior margin of thecal sac and spinal cord, severely narrowing the left lateral recess, severe stenosis of left proximal intervertebral neural foramina and likely radicular impingement." It also says c6/c7 level is dehydrated with tiny bulge. I was first treated for muscle spasms that made it unbearable to turn my neck. I'm not sure what all that means, but my biggest complaints right now are not pain, just weakness/numbness. I get little lightning bolts of pain across my shoulder when I do things like chop vegetables, fold laundry, but it is tolerable. The scary part to me is the feeling like I have a big hole on my left side; my left arm is definitely weaker, it's also always colder, and turns blue if I don't hold it up. They tell me that's just nerves but I've never read about anyone else whose arm turns blue, and I wonder if anything else is wrong with me. I feel pressure not unlike a blood pressure cuff around my upper arm almost all the time, and when I try to play my guitar for more than 5 minutes, I go numb.

Also little things like shuffling cards or sorting papers have become difficult with my left hand, and I drop things out of my fingers. So I go to physical therapy 3 times/wk, do traction at home at least every day, massage, have had 2 epidural steriod injections, and now my doctor (this is my 2nd opinion doctor btw) is telling me to make decision about surgery in next two weeks (this is worker's comp) or he will stop seeing me and if I want to continue conservative treatment to see my family doctor. When I asked about ADR, he referred me to a neurosurgeon, and that's who my next appointment is with, so I'm glad to at least have a third opinion now, but I'm still not sure about this surgery.

I can't stop thinking that I'm only considering this to save my job. If I go back to work and can't do my job (consistent lifting 50-70 pounds all day) after surgery was already recommended, that puts me in a difficult position. Thanks for this forum to both vent and research.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Default Welcome Katie!

Glad you found us, but sorry you are here. You are among people that can appreciate your situation. I may chime back in later after others have responded.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Default Neurosurgeon, Neuro symptoms

Katie,

You may find that a surgical procedure to relieve the disc pressure on your spinal cord and cervical nerves may significantly improve your symptoms. A visit with a neurosurgeon is definitely indicated, and soon. The symptoms in your arm may be from chronic regional pain syndrome (old term reflex sympathetic dystrophy) causing vascular compromise resulting in the cold feeling and blue coloration.

You may find your doctor recommending discectomy first rather than ADR or fusion, but I'm just guessing here. You definitely need to see your neurosurgeon promptly before the cord compression results in more permanent damage.

Please let us know what he/she says, as there are several ways to treat your problem. Getting variable opinions doesn't necessarily mean that someone is wrong; it's just that a disc rupture like yours can be treated in several different ways if conservative therapy fails to help.

Good luck.

Tim
PT, ESI, SI jt injections, 3-level nerve root inj. x 2
Massage, heat, ice, TENS, etc
L5-S1 Charite Jan. 19th, 2009, very happy w/decision
New back pain in upper back though.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 PM

Tim and Harrison,

Thank you both for your replies. I went to my appointment with the neurosurgeon and felt like I was prepared and had good questions to ask. Also my physical therapist typed a letter describing all the things we've been working on.

My doctor agreed that an artificial disc would be right for me instead of a fusion, and we started the insurance paperwork. This is worker's comp, but apparently they like to get approval from my regular insurance "just in case." I really am hoping this is not going to be a long process. I have been in contact with my company's HR dept, and will be calling my claims adjuster to try to help things move along.

Right now I feel like I'm in a holding pattern of sorts; my doctor told me to give physical therapy a rest, stop doing traction at home, and cancel my next epidural. My last injection made things worse-I've been getting awful headaches on side of face/ear/neck/back of head ever since, which he said may be due to the extra inflammation.

So, all I'm doing is taking 1000 mg of Naproxin every day; I'm still moderately in pain (neck,shoulder,arm), and still have discoloration/numbness/tightness of left arm. I'm not a fan of taking more pills, so hopefully I'll have some answers soon.

Kate
Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 PM

Kate,

Will you be getting one or two ADRs? If you have two bulging discs, you might want to get them both done. Also what disc are you looking at? Prestige and prodisc are the two that are approved in the US and there are more out there with my preference being the M6. However, whichever it is should give you good results.

Mark
Multiple facet blocks and epidurals
L5-S1 annular tear 8-08 lased with ELD
October 08 back to work
Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 AM

Katie, sorry to hear of your troubles. This site is a good resource for support and opinions. ADR seems to have excellent results, especially for us cervies, so hopefully that will enable you to return to work at some point. Dual level ADR's aren't approved yet but you may have the option of taking care of the worst one now and then wait on the other until the FDA approves the procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatzy View Post
Kate,

Will you be getting one or two ADRs? If you have two bulging discs, you might want to get them both done. Also what disc are you looking at? Prestige and prodisc are the two that are approved in the US and there are more out there with my preference being the M6. However, whichever it is should give you good results.

Mark

Mark, the Bryan disc is also approved for use in the US now.
In 2005 pain began getting worse.
Diagnosed as DDD in July 2007.
Surgery recommended after 6weeks of PT made the pain worse.
ADR scheduled for Jan 26, 2009. Rescheduled for August 5!
Bryan disc finally FDA approved, and just in time too.
Neck was all jacked up and had to be fused unfortunately.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 PM

You can get multi level ADR here in the US and in Europe. Insurance won't pay for it and it will be Very expensive here in the US. I had a two levels and I know people who have had up to 4 levels, 2 in his neck and 2 in his back at the same time. There is also a guy on Brazil who had 4 maverick discs put in his back.

Mark
October 08 back to work
Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatzy View Post
You can get multi level ADR here in the US and in Europe. Insurance won't pay for it and it will be Very expensive here in the US.

Mark
Im sure it is quite expensive, but my employers workers compensation insurance company has agreed to pay for a 2 level ADR. This may be a first for a co. to appove the procedure, I dont know. On July 9th surgeon told me he was doing a 2 level. Said he was going to go ahead and do it without INS approval because I needed to get better and this was a clear cut case and he knew he would eventually get paid in the end. He really is awesome. He is not a fan of INS companies. Within 10 days they approved the surgery, a big shock to both of us. August 12 will have procedure. Still dont know which style of disc will find out on 3rd at pre-op. Im hoping for BRYAN. looks like the best available to me.
MRI - C4-5 and C5-6 herniated
7-9-09 Neurosurgeon sets date for 2 level ADR
7-20-09 Work Comp approves surgery
8-3-09 CT Scan and Pre-OP
8-12-09 Surgery
Old 07-30-2009, 08:45 AM

Iron782,

That's great! I have seen where worker's comp has paid for multi level ADR.

Mark
October 08 back to work