ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 PM

Question Need advice on surgery

I have been in contact with Malte Peterson. Actually started last December, when I mailed him my files. I never heard back until June. I sent updated records of neck and back and got their opinion. I started looking into costs and surgery, and received a packet from them today. I was under the impression the surgery would be done bu Dr. Bierstedt at Hattington. Found out it will be at the Elisabeth Krankenhaus hospital and performed by Dr. Illerhaus. In all my reading here, not everything, but a lot, I have never seen anyone mention this. Can anyone offer their 2 cents on this. Thank you for your help
3 epidurals, PT, 2 MRI's,etc.
scheduled 3 times for C5-6, 6-7 fusion,
plus laminectomy at C3-4, and C 7, advised to do Bilateral lamino-foraminotomy C5-6, C6-7,a Percutaneous Discectomy L4 -L5
7/14 RFA on L3 to L5 (awake, local only)
C5-6,6-7 M-6 ADR with Dr. Clavel 9/17/14,
12/7/15 RFA L2-S1, Facet injections C2-7
6/3/16 RFA L2-S1, epidural L4,5, 8/26/16 RFA C1-7
Old 07-11-2014, 08:56 AM

When I had my surgery with Dr. Bierstedt(almost a year ago!) Dr. Illerhaus had performed surgery on someone at the same time. He is part of their surgical group and it seemed as though he was specializing more in cervical and Dr. Bierstedt more on lumbar as patient base was growing. Did you ask Malte if you could choose Dr. Bierstedt and if there was a reason why he was recommending Dr. Illerhaus?
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 AM

Default ONZ Group

Scoop,
I also had experience with both Doctors Bierstedt & Illerhaus. As mine was quite a complex case with many different opinions from various European doctors, I had both doctors Bierstedt & Illerhaus weigh in with one of my consults (over Skype). They work as a team and surgeries are performed by each doctor. I believe that Dr. Bierstedt performs on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Elizabeth Krakenhaus is the hospital in Hattingen. Dr. Bierstedt also performs surgeries at another hospital about 20 minutes away closer to his office. I agree with Patti that you need to ask those questions and if you do have a preference, identify this to Malte. I would also ask how many ADR surgeries (if that is what you are looking for) each of the docs performed. I know that Illerhaus has significant experience though Bierstedt has had more.

Personally, I found Malte to be very responsive and generally gets back to me quickly. I also have called Malte (direct call to Germany from economical IP phone like MagicJack or Skype) on several occasions. His English is good and he can answer many of the questions. He will consult the docs for clinical questions.

I expect you will obtain the answers to your questions. I also suggest that you consult more than one doc as you will gain more knowledge as well as feel more confident in whatever decision you make on selection of surgeon.
2013/2014 – Dessication and significant disc height loss at L4-L5 & L5-S1; L3-L4 disc bulge with hypertrophy; mild spinal stenosis; Grade 1 anterolisthesis (3mm); L4-L5 - marginal spurring and moderate hypertrophy causing neuroforaminal narrowing; L5-S1 - moderate-severe neuroforaminal narrowing; lumbar lordosis is straightening.

New pains & functional limitations in late 2013 led to exploring ADR procedures. Consulted with 8 surgeons domestically and 9 in Europe.
May 2014 – Anterior and posterior incisions in a 5-hour surgery resulted in 2 M-6s and one facet joint prosthesis (dynamic stabilization system). On the road to full recovery.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:35 PM

Thank you for the replies. I did ask those questions, and I got a reply from Ken, the rep in Canada who handles all the preliminaries. He said that I could get Dr. Bierstedt if I wanted and the reason for the hospital is that I can go from the airport to Elisabeth Krankenhaus hospital with no hotel stay. The other hospital I would not be able to check in the next day, so one night in the hotel. I guess my concerns were that I have not seen Dr. Illerhaus' name on here, The original plan was to fly in, go to hotel, check in the next day, and the fact that it took 5 months to reply to my original request. It seems like they are doing me a huge favor by taking me directly to the hospital. After 3 years of severe pain, headaches, etc. (you know), I got my passport and money together and just want to be able to wake up one day without a headache and be able to move without pain, just tired of the whole thing. I see what people mean when they say that you will know when you are ready for surgery. I will try and get ahold of Mr peterson and ask him the questions. I will post when I get the answers. Thank you so much for your help, it does make a difference.
3 epidurals, PT, 2 MRI's,etc.
scheduled 3 times for C5-6, 6-7 fusion,
plus laminectomy at C3-4, and C 7, advised to do Bilateral lamino-foraminotomy C5-6, C6-7,a Percutaneous Discectomy L4 -L5
7/14 RFA on L3 to L5 (awake, local only)
C5-6,6-7 M-6 ADR with Dr. Clavel 9/17/14,
12/7/15 RFA L2-S1, Facet injections C2-7
6/3/16 RFA L2-S1, epidural L4,5, 8/26/16 RFA C1-7