ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:14 PM

Hi,

My old VA docs aren't very knowledgeable (or supportive) wrt my decision to avoid a 3-level cervical fusion. So I've made an appointment with one of the only 2 local docs who has performed ADR surgery (Dr. Greg Keller, Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute).

Would anyone please share their experiences & issues with pre- and post-ADR care from a doctor other than their ADR surgeon?

I've read the FAQs <waving to Alastair! >, but am wondering if there are things I should ask or discuss with my new doc that might not occur to me? Yes, this is a case of "don't know enough to know what I don't know."

Thanks for any insights!

Jenn
Old 09-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Banned

Jenn,

When I returned from my surgery in Austria, I was followed by my primary care physician. My PC knew more about ADR than the fusion surgeons in the state (at the time of my surgery). I scheduled an appt with him 2 weeks after surgery for a quick clinical assesment and he checked the site of incision, etc.

For my comprehensive check-ups at 6mo, 12mo, etc., I was intially followed by Dr. Richard Guyer at the Texas Back Institute. It was critical for me to fly out of state for my follow-up appts--the surgeons in New Mexico are in the dark (IMHO). Then, I was referred to Dr. Balderston a couple blocks from my apartment in Philly when I moved here last summer per Dr. Guyer's recommendation.

In the end, I would try (if at all possible) to have an experienced ADR surgeon follow you post-op.

Good luck!

Justin
Old 09-22-2005, 04:57 AM

Hi Jenn,
try and use the search facility, its top right-hand side, put cervical in their and see what you come up with.

The cervical side is now really becoming a big issue here, so any people who have had cervical surgery -- -- -- please get in here posting your experiences
best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 09-22-2005, 06:03 PM

Thanks, Justin!

Unfortunately, there aren't any experienced ADR surgeons locally (we've had 2, maybe 3 single-level Charite surgeries here).

Were you in contact with TBI before your ADR surgery? Or did you arrange your comprehensive check-ups afterward?

Thanks!!!
Jenn
Old 09-22-2005, 06:15 PM

Alastair,

I tried that search (& others) when I first found this site and spent hours reading/learning. Maybe re-reading now that I know a bit more will bring new insight. Thanks!

Jenn

p.s. Are you shooting regularly again? Any pain from stance or recoil?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:16 AM

Hi Jenn,
I'm just shooting a point .22 rifle at the moment, plus .177 air pistols(rapid fire and single shot). I won a gold medal last year in a national competition on the air pistol side.

Virtually no recoil from the above, I have had to adjust my stance.

Our government in 1997 banned handguns. How on earth we are going to carry out the Olympics in 2012 nobody has any idea -- -- -- it's against the Olympic rules not to have practice facilities for everybody in the country it is being carried out in
best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/