ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Lightbulb Faith, Spirituality & Suffering

It’s amazing that since I launched the web site in 2005, I’ve managed NOT to start a topic on the role of human spirit throughout the long ordeal of suffering. Though a God-fearing Christian, I’ve taken the secular tact to maintain a “professional” balance to the content for you people. But these recent happenings have made me wonder:
- If so many of us experience profound changes – and challenges – during our years of suffering, why not talk about it from the spiritual perspective? We’ve talked “around” the subject for years now. And Hell, even Time magazine had this subject as a cover story last week! It had a really interesting collection of articles…the cover story was “How Faith Can Heal.” See the “Biology of Belief” here.

- I had a nice chat with a writer recently who shared my perspective on this issue of spirituality and suffering. It got me thinking about a dear friend who is ill, so I went to the book store to find a book that would be right for her. I ended up buying two books – one for her and one for me! I bought two copies of Streams in the Desert, which is composed of 366 devotional readings. It is fortuitous that I went to help find something for someone else, but I ended up finding a good book to help me think about suffering in a greater, divine and monotheistic context. I really enjoy this book so far along with a rejuvenated interest in my faith.

- I’ve come across some evil people in the past few years. In a fateful way, it made me rethink who I am and what I do publicly, which led to this post. And perhaps, ironically, that’s a good thing. This filial and caring love that we share among us in this community is very special in so many ways and it also sparked the creation of the Arthroplasty Patient Foundation.
Faith can help us in many ways. Some say it can heal us physically. Biologically. Emotionally. Others say it is based on a fairy tale.

So, I ask you – how has your terrible suffering changed you as a person? How has your faith been challenged…or changed? What role does faith have in our difficult journey? How do we talk about this? Or not?

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-28-2009, 03:12 AM

Default Faith has not had a role

Family support was definitely the key for me. Belief in a higher power had no role in my healing. However, I went from someone with virtually zero empathy (well, OK, I certainly suffer when my kids are hurting) to feeling obligated to give back, no pun intended.

Although technically I help people medically every day, it is such a mechanical detached process that I feel I must try and help individuals who ask for assistance on this web site without any expectation of any type of reimbursement. I learned a lot about myself while suffering with back pain, some good and some bad. Much of what I discovered about myself was surprising. Apparently I was not as self-aware as I thought. Cocky as h***, just wrong about everything.

Stumbling across this website allowed me to solve my problems. I don't believe it was divine intervention. I believe it occurred because of people helping people. Unless I'm overstepping my bounds, I intend to give back to this community what I got out of it and then some. Pay it forward, in other words.

I have learned humility, sympathy and empathy, and in many ways I'm a better person for having gone through the process. Perhaps the best way I can answer your original question is like this: I now have faith in my fellow man and realize support from others can be critical at times.

And boy, is this topic going to be a can of worms!
PT, ESI, SI jt injections, 3-level nerve root inj. x 2
Massage, heat, ice, TENS, etc
L5-S1 Charite Jan. 19th, 2009, very happy w/decision
New back pain in upper back though.