ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laid up doc View Post
last on my list of implants, were you to decide you MUST have ADR, would be a prodisc - b/c the chromium/cobalt alloy is less stable and pieces will get into your bloodstream. this can cause further autoimmune reaction, or a local problem... all VERY BAD STUFF.
Sorry to outright contradict but titanium is actually far less stable and far more reactive. It's likely that titanium reacts so quickly the outer surface is passivated (completely reacted) before it can do anything to you but, should wear particles turn out to be a problem for titanium, they'd likely to be as least as serious as the chrome-cobalt alloys. Basically, metal wear particles are bad news. Plastic wear particles aren't good news either but at least they're inert.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 06-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Quick admin comments:

- Thankfully, I’ve deleted very few posts since 2004. The ones that are deleted are egregiously inappropriate and violate the guidelines above. I’ve learned that some of the more heated or inflammatory topics of discussion can actually be the most helpful; so my intent is to be as inclusive as possible.

- Same goes for banning. Thankfully, it’s been a long time since I had to ban anyone, which relates to the last point.

- I spend a great deal of time reviewing registrations to screen out bogus ones (not just spammers). It angers some people, but it pays dividends in terms of keeping the peace.

Brian, sorry to hijack your topic. Back to you.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 PM

Default laid up doc

wanted to send you a private messages but you are all full.....lol
when you can accept one please let me know..

thanks
Old 06-20-2012, 02:01 AM

jim -

my understanding is that titanium alloys cause fewer problems across the board. "stability" probably isn't the best choice of descriptors for how they compare... but chromium is one of the more allergy-inducing implant materials, can accumulate to toxic levels in the human body, and cross-reacts frequently with other metal allergies.

every surgeon with whom i have spoken before and after surgery who uses implants in their practice stated that they would choose a titanium alloy, if available, above a chromium alloy. if one's choices are restricted, then obviously it's a risk/benefit analysis like anything else... but given a CHOICE, that is what they have told me - oral surgeon, several orthos, endodontist.

autoimmune diseases, as i mentioned, are a special breed, and are to be deal with using major caution! again, i'm NOT the expert in autoimmune diseases, but i have a healthy fear of them!!

ally - i just made an email account b/c my PM box is perpetually full. laidupdoc@gmail.com. will add this to my signature, and to ALL, please read the last line of my signature carefully! i am more than happy to help, but with that caveat in mind.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Administrator

This topic motivated me to update a related FAQ, so I did some quick searching and updated this topic:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f49...280/#post95060

When I obtain the article I requested from Rome, I will post it on this topic.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate