ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 PM

Surgery pics. 17th December 2012.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (51.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (54.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (61.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (93.4 KB, 33 views)
*DJD Disease C3-C4, C4-C5, C6-C7
*Multilevel endplate herniation pits/Schmorl's nodes with evedence of minimal acute-on-chronic inflammation at T12-L1 level
*Disc Laminectomy 17th December 2012
*2 rods 8 screws " Well at least thats what I was told" (Check out the sweet during surgery Photos)

Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 PM

How are you feeling Lee?
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 PM

imho you suffered the fate of too many spine pts in the US - having a surgery the doc can do rather than what is best.

you may have needed multilevel surgery in the first place. i am not in the position to say you definitely should or should not have, but it seems to me a lot of "failed prodisc" patients did not have enough of their pain generators addressed by a 1 level prodisc surgery... whether it's the device or not i cannot say either, but i think there are definitely some significant confounders.

looks like they were unable to take out the prodisc? as long as you weren't having inflammation FROM it, shouldn't matter as the adjacent levels are now fused.

best of luck with your recovery, i hope this brings you the relief you need!
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 AM

The two rods run from C4-C7 with 8 screws. I was a little doped up when he talked to me but I could have swarn he said that Two of my vertabrea had already fused by themselfs. As far as the pain I seriously don't think that I have been in this much in my life and I've been through alot. It feels like all the muscles are ripping away from my bones and my stitches are pulling out of my skin. In the hospital before I was realeased i told them the the percocets and valium was not even touching the pain that I was feeling but he refused to give me anything stronger. Is there any way that anyone knows of to help get rid of some of this pain. Please add me to facebook. I just want any thing that would somewhat help make my first christmas with my family a somewhat normal one and me not laid up in bed. Thank you everyone and god bless.
*Multilevel endplate herniation pits/Schmorl's nodes with evedence of minimal acute-on-chronic inflammation at T12-L1 level
*2 rods 8 screws " Well at least thats what I was told" (Check out the sweet during surgery Photos)

Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Lee, did the doctors test the surgical area for infection? Sample and test? As I suggested before (by phone to you and in this topic), this was (or still is) an important measure. It's possible too that it's causing inflammatory pain. If it was not done, a blood test using PCR (or better) might provide answers.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-20-2012, 01:23 PM

I asked and they told me that they were doing blood test but would not let me know what they were testing for. And if they did tell me I was way to medicated to understand what they were saying.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 PM

Default So Sorry Man.

I know where you are with the pain. That posterior laceration and surgery as a whole back there is so painful isn't it? I am feeling for you Joker.

You just need to call all of your doctors and the surgeons and plead with them that you need more of the fast acting medicine, such as roxicodone. They should be able to call you in a higher dose of Roxicodone or a long acting like morphine. If they are not willing or give you grief, then you simply have to just go to the ER.

Doctor's should know better than to discharge you on a dose that does not completely dull your pain after a huge surgery like that.

Focus on getting in front of or calling the offices of whomever has you under their care (Doctor/Surgeon/Hospital)...whether this be your primary doctor, the surgeon or even the hospital where the procedure was done. Tell them that you are going insane and you cannot sleep and you are writhing in pain.

Fight Hard Joker and don't take no for an answer, you deserve to be able to recover in peace...besides enjoying Christmas.
Ruptured C5/C6 June 2010. Rushed into Prodisc surgery July 1, 2010. Month after installation, symptoms came back and new more intense pain. Fought all year for help. July 6, 2011 received fusion-revision on top of Prodisc - John's Hopkins. Numbness went away in hands, but pain still remains. Doctor's all say "Life of Pain Management" forever. Trying to endure life through the fog of pain and meds and procedures. New hope is now Neurotransmitter "TENS" unit implanted into neck at C5/C6.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 AM

Sincere wishes for a pain free and Merry Christmas.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 AM

Joker,

Have you been able to get some stronger pain medication? That is a big surgery and since the surgeon went through the back of the neck, it will typically hurt more post surgery in contrast to an anterior approach. Like Harrison stated, are they sure you don't have an infection? That hurts like hell too. If you have to, go to the ER to get some pain relief. I hope you can have some pain relief over the holidays with your family. Sorry about your pain.

~Buckeyeback
July 17th 2013: L4/5 bone spur removal with Dr. Clavel
April 2019: L5/S1 Microdiscectomy/Foraminotomy
Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Here is what they gave me. 100mg of Colace, 20mg esomeprazole, 5mg Valium, and 325mg percocet. Oh and a neck brace. Right now I'm haveing my wife give the doses because if I got a hold of them I would be popping all of them to try to get rid of this pain.