ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:30 PM

Default x9 Questions - LP-ESP Artificial Discs

😊 Hello Everyone here in ADRsupport,

Please see questions below that some of you may know some of the answers to. I’m sure the answers to these questions would be wanted by thousands of people worldwide:

1: When were LP-ESP Artificial Discs first manufactured?

2: When was the white Hydroxyapatite coating first applied to LP-ESP Artificial Discs?

3: What are the ingredients in the specific white Hydroxyapatite coating on the LP-ESP Artificial Discs?

4: What is the safety of this specific white Hydroxyapatite coating on LP-ESP Artificial Discs?

5: What is the maximum weight the LP-ESP Artificial Disc can safely handle?

6: How many years will the LP-ESP Artificial Disc last safely inside the human body before deteriorating to an unsafe condition?

7: How do you prevent allergic reactions to the LP-ESP Artificial Disc?

8: How do you prevent any risks in relation to the LP-ESP Artificial Disc being inside the human body, for example prevention of Periprosthetic Osteolysis?

9: Why is the LP-ESP Artificial Disc (as opposed to other brands/types of currently available artificial discs the best for Lumbar Spine ADR/TDR?
Lumbar Spine Problems are Disc Degeneration, Bulges, Tears and Nerve Contact at both L4/L5 and L5/S1 Levels. Currently Researching ADR/TDR Surgery to Fix these problems. I welcome all former LP-ESP patients who have already lived with this specific Artificial Disc inside their Lumbar Spine for MORE than 8 years to contact me, to provide advice and knowledge please is very appreciated. I will also share what I learn, as knowledge is power! Thanks!
Old 10-03-2021, 05:09 PM

good questions, but I am not sure that anyone is able to provide you with the right answers... =(
Old 10-05-2021, 11:20 AM

Most of your questions are unanswerable but I've attempted some of them to see if the answers that exist can help

3: What are the ingredients in the specific white Hydroxyapatite coating on the LP-ESP Artificial Discs?
I don't know if the coating used on the LP-ESP has additional components but it's possible to look up the composition of the standard hydroxyapatite for your information. Wikipedia has a reference to it.

4: What is the safety of this specific white Hydroxyapatite coating on LP-ESP Artificial Discs?
Again, the LP-ESP might have something special. That's somewhat unlikely if I understand how it's created correctly but general hydroxyapatite has been in use on surgical devices that bond to bone for decades. It should be relatively easy to search for coating problems with keywords like "hydroxyapatite" & "failure." My suspicion is that you'll find very little for implants, of any type, that were inserted surgically correctly and that failures of the coating had contributing problems such as misplacement of the device.

6: How many years will the LP-ESP Artificial Disc last safely inside the human body before deteriorating to an unsafe condition?
This question is the primary unanswered question. Lab testing of most of the ADR devices simulated lots of years of use (I'm not quoting an exact figure for the LP-ESP as I don't know it) but there's always the question of how the lab tests simulate real life in a person and what the lab testing protocol forgot to check.

7: How do you prevent allergic reactions to the LP-ESP Artificial Disc?
You can't. Consider getting yourself tested for metal allergies if you're concerned (which is a good thing) and think about selecting a device based on whatever allergies you have and the alloys used in the device. Feel free to post back here if you have allergies and want to know what alloys to look for. That's actually what Laura and I are trained in - metallurgy.

8: How do you prevent any risks in relation to the LP-ESP Artificial Disc being inside the human body, for example prevention of Periprosthetic Osteolysis?
There are too many risks to pick through all of them. Number 1 - get the right type of surgery; don't get an ADR if you need a fusion because of the level of damage you've already got. Number 2 - get the device implanted properly. Find the most experienced surgeon with best track record you can use for your surgery. Number 3 - follow the post-surgery protocol. Everyone over-does it at some point. Chronically overdoing it will generally mess up your recovery and open you up to all kinds of less-optimum outcomes. Osteolysis was thought to be a major concern for Charite users two decades ago but it just hasn't manifested with multiple failures in the field. Not saying it can't happen but looking at the failure data that was being reported suggests its a less likely concern

9: Why is the LP-ESP Artificial Disc (as opposed to other brands/types of currently available artificial discs the best for Lumbar Spine ADR/TDR?
This is my personal feeling and not one often shared by posters. If you notice with my answer to question #8, I didn't mention getting the correct ADR. That's because my observation of posts here and previous spine ADR boards suggests that the type of ADR used has less effect on outcome than marketing literature would suggest. Maybe a given ADR is easier to implant so you're more likely to get a good surgery but getting the surgery and immediate post-op done correctly and being honest with yourself about your pre-op condition seemed to be the main drivers for good outcomes.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 10-11-2021, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Please view these lengthy documents:

Please see:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3567327/

https://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/4282...experience.pdf
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate