ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 PM

Default I am an exception,but...

I seem to be an exception, but I have always "healed" fast. (Had 3rd degree burns once that healed in a week. That is a pain second only to my back pain) I am 4.5 months post-surgery and I am running 3 miles 4-5 times a week. (at an easy pace) I also cycle up to 100 miles a week right now. I do not recommend for you to expect that so soon. My surgeon seems to feel that since I am not having any issues at this time that I can continue, but he STRONGLY warned me to listen to my body. I have been hyper aware of any ache and pain and ask my PT to be sure I am not hurting myself. I still have some restrictions but I was told he will lift them in June if I continue to do well. As for activities, I was told I will be able to do whatever I want. I plan on waiting till 2013 before I "test" my limits. I have been hiring people to do my yard work, etc. till next year. I usually take care of that myself. Only thing I have been doing is mowing. Again I have been the exception to the rule. I hope you have as much success as I have.
2007-2010
7 Inj and PT
2011 2 Inj.
Aug. Inj did not help at all. MRI.
XRay neg. Sept MRI
Discogram L5S1 pain was 10 of 10. L4L5 pain was 2-3.
DR advised me about ADR. Ins Approved after appeal.
Surg 12/16 Xmas gift!
Feeling GREAT!
http://www.facebook.com/Stircrazie
Old 05-12-2012, 09:55 PM

Default ProDisc L

Otto,
I am in a similar situation and am working with Dr. Don Kovalsky the Orthopedic Center of Southern Illinois, located in Mount Vernon Ill. This doc was one of the principal investigators during the Prodisc clinical trials. My wife and I have met with him and I have surgory scheduled in June. My advise to you is check with your insurance company before traveling down the path to far. You may find resistance with this procedure.
Sincerely,
Bogiewan
Did mri to verify DDD L4-L5 and herniations at L5-S1, C6-C7, T2-T3, & T3-T4 numerous Schmorl’s nodes in Thoracic
Fusion of C6-C7 Oct 2010
Current – Trying for hybrid of Fusion at L4-L5 with Prodisc L5-S1 BCBS Anthem Denied!
Aetna Approved!!!!!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Default Research

In my career as a CNS RN I worked extensively in research facilities both conducting ongoing studies and analyzing data. It os a difficult thing IMHO to remove ego of the inventor as well as the MDs that beleived in drug process or whatever.

In an ideal world we would get tons of solid science devoid of the above. Prior to making my decision on an M6-L 3 level I spent about a year aand a half combing ,medical librairies looking for outcome data and methods of measurement.

There are some brilliant engineers on this site that can speak far better than me as to the method, loads and veracity of the analysis of the data. i went on a much more personal quest..primarily because due to my life exp I am a bit jaded on transperency in all studies US and abroad. I looked for outcome studies that measured not the MDs view of success but the patient and the method and the time frames in which they collected that data.

At the end of the day there just isn't that much outcome in patient satisfaction that is not performed under the companys dollar. I am not sure how else you could fund ot given the apparent lack of interest in the US to date.

There are studies out there that look at patient outcomes utilozing the Oswetry scale and VAS scale...basically are you happy and did you hace a decrease in pain. It is a relatively new surgery so not alot, what I did find was positive and higherer than those who had chosen a fusion.

In the end it is a very personal lifechanging exp. I decided I could read forever and sit on my tush with narcs or take a leap of faith. For me it has been 8-9 weeks and I feel like my old self more and more each day.

Good luck woth the search keep reading you will eventually find a plan

Best of luck

Laurie
2009-facet inj, radiograph ablation, SI joint injections, cryoablation stubborn no relief
2010-retired d/t pain. more injections
2011-IDET of L3-L5. Pain unchanged, up 50 lbs!
2011-Lumbar ADR recommended by Ortho and 2 neuros. In appeals w/ins. May choose Europe for M6
Need to lose lbs