ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemzee View Post
Im still a bit unsure though: should I contact Malte or Ken or does it not really matter?
Deemzee, I will relate my current experience in contacting Dr. Bierstedt. I filled out the online form and submitted that info. The next morning I had an e-mail from Kelli reiterating the instructions on sending the MRI report and x-rays to Germany and that the doctor would call me directly. These documents were received in Germany on a Thursday and Dr. Bierstedt called on Saturday. (As we were scheduled to leave on a 3 month trip I do think that the doctor took this into account and expedited his call to us. Of course, the conversation changed what plans we did have.) We have since been dealing with Ken for practical matters, Malte for medical questions. They have both been very responsive, informative, polite and kind.

I do hope that you get in touch w/ Dr. Bierstedt because he may be able to address your kyphosis. Best of luck,
Susan
Old 08-08-2013, 12:18 PM

Default Bierstedt

I have had a good experience with the whole process with Bierstedt's staff. I dealt with Malte and Ken through the whole process. I have surgery set up for 08-27-13. It took me some time to do the research and I am happy with my decision with Bierstedt. I guess I will find out soon if I made the right one or not. I was a bit skeptical during my search as well. Good luck in your search.
2013 sent med records to Dr Bierstedt. Suggests M6 ADR on L-4 to S-1. Had to medically retire as a detective which was very hard to do. City I work for will only approve fusion or hybrid under work comp for two level.
2013 Aug 27th surgery date with Bierstedt. (Had to pull the trigger) M-6 disks on L4-S1
Old 08-08-2013, 02:12 PM

I have gotten many opinions from both the US and Europe over these last two years and I've spent enormous sums of time researching and meeting and googling and asking questions. I certainly appreciate what you're saying about "knowing", but I guess in my case the challenges are so unique that no two opinions are identical-- and oftentimes they completely contradict each other. It's just not obvious which way to go. Different levels, approaches, devices, risks...coming from the best doctors in the world...terrifying. It'd be easier if there was at least some consensus but I fear my condition is somewhat uncharted territory. I'm a filmmaker, not a neurosurgeon. I'm trying to go with my gut but finding that extremely difficult, especially with the stakes so high and the opinions so varied...not to mention questionable affiliations and bad reviews and shady organizations. And the expense (not to mention the pain) is potentially ruinous if it's not done right the first time. I'm getting closer to deciding (I'm running out of time) but I am constantly second-guessing. How can't you? Wish I had a crystal ball.
DEC 2010 -- 51 yrs old-- multiple problems with C3-C7 --kyphosis, stenosis, cord flattening that has slowly evolved from a fall at age 12-- not much pain yet but told to fuse 4 levels and looking for alternatives
Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 PM

Deemzee: That is why you are here...now. I've waited five years for a better choice than fusion. I didn't know that ADR even existed until just a couple of months ago - I felt like I came out of a cave. Relying on US surgeons to diagnose and treat is really a shot in the dark. They rely too heavily on the insurance factor. My own neurosurgeon told me he would not consider ADR, or how did he put it....I wasn't a candidate for ADR because my insurance didn't cover it - defined....he wouldn't get paid.
Just narrow down your surgeon research to 2 or 3. It will fall into place.
I was ready to pull my hair out just two weeks ago. Now, I'm looking forward to my trip and becoming a new "me" again.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 08-09-2013, 11:30 AM

Something that may be of help when searching for a German surgeon is to use German Google: (or whatever country you are looking at)

Google (link to German google)

This can provide much more information than US google and there's a button you can hit to translate to English. (Of course, maybe everyone knows of this already and I am late to the party...)
Old 08-09-2013, 11:47 AM

Surprised: Well I'm late to the party too. Thanks - you at least helped me out.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6