ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:15 AM

Hi Everybody,
I wanted to introduce myself here, before I start posting on other topics. I'm Kathy, 28 years old, live in North Texas (about 30 minutes from Dallas), married for 6 years, mother of 2 girls (2 1/2 & 5 years old), and have been in chronic pain for 2 1/2 years. I have been just reading all I can find for the past 2 weeks and trying to get any and all information on spinal cord stimulators, fusion and ADR. At this time, I have decided that I will not have a fusion or a spinal cord stimulator implanted. I have been reccommended for the Pro-Disc; but have some hurdles to jump before I can have surgery (read below). Nice to meet all of you, hope to get to know more about all of you.
Kathy
Old 09-05-2008, 10:18 AM

Hmmm... I just changed my signature to a more detailed history; but it did not show up on the post. I will try again later.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 PM

I'd say Welcome but maybe it wouldn't mean much since I just got on here too Either way I suppose, welcome

Can't believe the accidents you have posted. I agree with the second statement, can't anyone drive anymore? I ride a motorcycle, and in the past year or so, the stupidity level on the road has increased at least 10 fold. I now get nearly hit 1x week (when the back lets me ride that is) More recently, driving my car, had the same situation that always comes up on the motorcycle??? I just don't get it. Sorry to hear it has led to you having this back pain. I know it sucks (first hand ) I know that no one that I know who has not had back pain just doesn't get it, and its frustrating not having people to talk about it with. Thats why this place is great

Hope the hoops for the insurnce, etc arent too bad and you can be pain free soon enough. (I hope the same for me, and everyone in this situation on the forums )
Old 09-06-2008, 11:32 AM

I have to agree on no one understanding the pain... I get people, especially some of my family, acting like it's no big deal. Some common remarks are "I've had back pain for 30 years and deal with it" "Wait till you are 60, then you will know back pain" "It can't be that bad". I just thought I had experienced back pain before these accidents, ie. when I was pregnant, now I unfortunately know back pain. Hopefully, I can have ADR soon and feel better & get back to life.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:56 AM

People can be so insensitive. Pain affects us all differently and, it's a personal issue that affects all around us. It gets to where depression sets in also, when the pain gets bad enough and, no one seems to understand. You've both come to the right place, with plenty that have been where you are now.

Hang in there and allow us to support you in the process.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 09-06-2008, 12:29 PM

Thank you Terry.
My pain has been so bad in recent months, I actually have a large burn on my back from my heating pad (in the shape of my heating pad). I feel better with heat, than ice. I have been told to not use my heat as much; but when I hurt that bad and it makes my back feel better, I'm gonna do it (the burn doesn't hurt, just looks bad). The only time my pain was well controlled was in the first 6-9 months of the injury, ever since it has been under-treated. I have 2 young daughters and must care for them (I am a stay at home mom), so I have to function. I know ADR is major surgery; but can't wait to be on the road to recovery.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to ADR Support KBear.

Reading your signature certainly shows you've been through the mill, and most of us have been there, done that and continue to do that as well.

I'm glad you found us but I'm sorry you have a need to be here.

As Terry and Corry have said, we're here to help !!!
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:20 PM

Thank you Toebin, I am so happy that I found this board!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:18 PM

Welcome Texas!
Sounds as though we have had similar injuries Bear. Stay on top of those dang %#%# insurance companies! Don't let them intimidate you! Unfortunately, they are hoping you will just go away! Also, I know how you feel when you say people don't understand the level of your pain. Ignorance.

Since it appears you have only one level of herniation, you may also be a candidate for Dascor, a disc nucleas replacement surgery. You can read about it at discdyn.com I also have a herniation at L4-5 and I am getting this surgery in six days. Since it is only in clinical trials right now, the company is paying for it (My insurance company turned it down, as expected) Good luck and keep fighting for yourself! Keep up posted. Sincerely,

Johnny V.

2000-2008 Increasingly worse back pain caused by car and motorcycle accidents, running--injections (25), physical therapy, chiro
2007 IDET at L4-5 lasts 4 months
Dascor surgery scheduled in 6 days....Yikes!