ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:05 PM

Default What do you know about DIAM?

I've just learned of another option for my DDD....DIAM. It is a flexible spacer that goes between the spinal processes and is supposed to be a much better alternative to fusion as it preserves a lot of motion.

Has anyone had them and what were the results? Success rates?

I was told by the manufacturer that they are used when ADR is not feasible because of problems with arthritis in the facet joints, etc.

I've also been told that they are not approved in the US, but have been in Canada for at least two years. This particular spacer is made by Medtronics (parent of Maverick disc), and there are three other types out there from the respective manufacturers.

They sound like a great alternative...much less invasive, as they go in from the back, and can be removed easily if there is a problem.

What would be the downside?

L4/5/S1- Mod. narrowing, bulging disc, significant hypertrophy of flava lig.

Highly allergic to all metals.

NEW: 3/16/2010: Successful surgery in Brazil w. Dr. Pimenta; Nuvasive NeoDisc at C5/6, and XLIF & ALIF at L4/5/S1 w. PEEK cages. No rods, screws, plates. Non-metal lumbar ADR not available at present time, so went with fusion.