ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:10 PM

Default another new person with a couple of questions..

Hello everyone,

A little background....

I've already sent my paperwork over to Stenum Hospital in Germany. They have recommended a 3 level cervical implant procedure. I'll spare all the details but I have some mild stenosis on one level, herniations, bulging, bone spurs, etc...

In fact, most of my cervical region has problems, but the worst starts at C4-5 and goes down from there. To make matters worse, 3 years ago my car doors were frozen shut and I shoved my shoulder against the car in an attempt to get the doors unstuck. I woke up the next day with balance problems and have been unsteady ever since. I was diagnosed with whiplash. I'm sure if I had had a healthy neck, I would not have been injured....

I have heard of some problems with the doctor they assigned to me at Stenum and I am unemployed and therefore would very much like to find a surgeon in the US. It would save me a lot of money.

I live in Michigan, so does anyone know of an impressive surgeon that is preferably close by? I do understand this surgery is very important so I am willing to go the extra mile and travel if I need to. I understand that at this time I probably won't find a surgeon in the US to do a 3 level implant, but I was thinking that perhaps they could do just one level to help me get by until more levels can be done in the US.

Also, I do have medical insurance but I have a strong suspicion that they won't pay for this surgery. Does anyone know of a medical insurance that can be purchased individually? It sounds like Aetna might have some plans but they sounded like plans only offered through an employer.

Doesn't it just suck to have these kinds of problems? I was injured by a chiropractor 20 years ago who gave me a couple of karate chops to my neck. Literally from that day on I've had neck problems and arthritis set into the injured area and it's just been a downhill slide. Why did I go to the chiro in the first place? He was a friend of my sister, just starting out and I thought I would throw him a little business. I wasn't having any spinal issues at the time.

My mom was a registered nurse and told me that chiro's were quacks. I wish I had listened to her...

Good luck everyone. I totally understand your situation!

Laurie
Old 12-22-2010, 01:53 PM

A little advice on your balance problems first.... Is it dizziness (vertigo?) rather than a balance issue. If so, I wouldn't call that whiplash and you need to go the VEDA (Vestibular Disorders Association) and look for a qualified physical therapist to treat the inner ear problem that can occur from a jolt like you described. If that's what it is, it's easily treatable (and doesn't involve messing with your neck). I am an occupational therapist, and our hospital in Indiana provides that treatment - it's amazing how fast they cure people.
Back advice.... you won't get more than a one level in the states, unless you can find a clinical trial that you might be appropriate for: clinicaltrials.gov

I doubt whether you'll find insurance that is reasonable on your own that would also cover a pre-exsisting condition that many good insurance companies refuse. Hate to be negative, but insurance is not my friend right now. Good luck on that front, but prepare to be irritated!

Can't give you much local advice: I'm in Indiana, and there are some great research-oriented ortho doctors in Ft Wayne, willing and able to do 1 level. Would be happy to share my research so far on oversees doctors. I'm in the processing of choosing one for a 2 or 3 level ADR in the lumbar area. Read my latest posts on the Spinal Roundtable area, entitled "Shipping off my medical reports today" if interested. I got all of my info to start the search on this wonderful site!
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/
Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Laurie, I am sorry you are here, but welcome. I hope we can help you. One word of caution: advanced arthritis of the spine, particularly the facets, is a contraindication for disc replacement surgery; so study your radiology reports carefully. Just because a surgeon says "yes" to ADR (especially in Germany), it doesn't mean you should...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-24-2010, 06:58 AM

Laurie -

I read this elsewhere .....
__________________________________________________ _______________________

Orthopaedic Associates of Michigan

One of the most comprehensive Orthopaedic centers in the state, Orthopaedic Associates of Michigan is comprised of seven individualized practices, providing total Orthopaedic care for all ages — from head to toe, infants to elders.

Orthopedic Spine Center of Grand Rapids, MI | Orthopaedic Associates of Michigan

Office hours are Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm.
Parking and covered entrances with wheelchairs are conveniently located at each location.

At all times, please call: 616-459-7101

1111 Leffingwell
Grand Rapids, MI 49525

- Ken
Old 12-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments...

With regard to the balance problems..Is it dizziness? No. I have to agree with the diagnosis of whiplash. It's not an inner ear problem and I had the balance problem before the stenosis, so it's not 100% from that either.

With regard to the facet arthritis issue, I'd like to hear more about that....This is partially what is on my MRI. I've left off some of the other levels that aren't as bad for reasons of brevity.

C4-5-

Disc desiccation, mild loss of disc height, moderate anterior endplate spondylosis, and posterior osteophyte disc complex measuring 3mm. There is uncovertebral arthrosis, no significant apophyseal joint arthrosis with mild to moderate medial right neural foraminal narrowing with questionable neural impingement and normal left neuroforamen. There is narrowing of the central canal to 9mm sagitally.

C5-6-

Disc dessication, mild loss of disc height, minimal anterior endplate spondylosis, and posterior broad-based osteophyte disc complex measuring 2mm. There is uncovertebral arthrosis greatest on the right, no significant apophyseal joint arthrosis with moderate right neural foraminal narrowing with possible impingement of the crossing/exiting C6 nerve root and normal left neuroforamen. There is borderline low normal size of central canal.

C6-7

Disc dessication, mild to moderate loss of disc height, mild anterior endplate spondylosis and posterior broad-based osteophyte disc complex measuring 2mm. There is uncovertebral arthrosis, no significant apophyseal joint arthrosis with minimal to mild noncompressive neural foraminal narrowing. There is borderline normal size of central canal.

I'm going to send my paperwork to Dr Bergnatoli in Germany and there is a doctor 45 minutes away who has done a one level implant and I'm going to him too. I'm not in a rush; I'm trying to go to school right now and would not be able to do surgery until this summer.

Do you really think that even Dr Bernatoli would steer me wrong (into surgery) just for money? It's so hard to know who to trust.

I saw a neurosurgeon last Spring and he told me to hold off as long as possible, but I think that was because he only does fusion and he knows that a 3-level fusion for me is basically the beginning of the end. It will put a big strain on other parts of my neck which aren't normal to begin with....and we all know that means more fusion and that means eventually I won't be able to move my neck...So NO FUSION FOR ME!

comments welcome,

Laurie
Old 12-24-2010, 05:07 PM

Generally speaking there are few doctors who will knowing mislead someone into surgery, just like there's relatively few absolutely evil people in just about any business. It is true, though, that every doctor tries to solve every problem that comes to him or her. The old proverb about every problem looking like a nail to a person who only has a hammer applies. Any surgeon can overestimate their ability to solve a problem or underestimate the effect of related concerns on that person's recovery. On top of that, there's a real reminder that we're all imperfect and mistakes happen. You try to select doctors that tend to be careful to stack the odds in your favor but that's only stacking odds, not betting on a sure thing.

A quick test of the inner ear concern is a very low dose of Valium, about 1-5 mg. According to Ear, Nose and Throat docs we've seen, low doses of it shut down the inner ear. That allows your proprioception and visual cues can take over your balance for a little while. If dizziness fades, then your inner ear is a problem.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 12-28-2010, 01:30 PM

Default MI

Hey there
I moved from MI about 4 years ago, and my mom is dealing with a similar type of pain as I am. I hate her back doctor, but I am now in TX and have been lucky enough to go to TBI for all my issues. I got some names of doctors once from my doctor down here that he recommended for my mother in MI. If you would like I can ask for the info again, and I can get it for you. Not sure where you are in MI, but the 3 doctors that he recommended were in Muskegon and Holland.

Let me know and I will see what I can do!
Beth
Chiropractics, Ortho, PT, surgeon to neurologist to new surgeon.
6 years chronic pain and newer spasms.
MRI's, CT's, EMG, ESI's.
S1 nerve root deviation
Positive DDD L5-S1 discogram VAS 8/10
7.14.09 Signed up for Clinical Trial at TBI
for either a Prodisc-L or Freedom Lumbar Disc
Surgery: October 1st 2009
Recieved Prodisc-L
04-2010 Rhizotomy
12-2010 Rhizotomy #2
Old 12-29-2010, 06:52 PM

Sure, I'd love some names. I know you said you moved to Texas. If you have any names of fantastic doctors down there, I'd be interested in those also. Like I said, I understand this is an important issue and I'm willing to travel to get to the best.

thanks.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:23 PM

Laurie,

None of us are doctors and I would strongly encourage you to have any and all medical statements that you get from from these boards (like the one I'm about to give you) evaluated by a spine doctor before making decisions based on those statements.

The way I interpret the parts of your report that you've posted is that your facets probably won't contra-indicate ADR for you. The interpreting radiologist states of your facets for each level:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyAndAwesomeSunshine View Post
C4-5-

... no significant apophyseal joint arthrosis ...

C5-6-

C6-7

He doesn't even use the words "mild" or "moderate"; just "no significant".

Quote:
Do you really think that even Dr Bernatoli would steer me wrong (into surgery) just for money? It's so hard to know who to trust.
I have read stories of Dr Bertagnoli performing ADR on people which were contra-indicated; some with very bad outcomes. So if you select Dr Bertagnoli, and he is very probably as good as it gets for an ADR surgeon, it would be good to have the green light from other ADR surgeons that you are not contra-indicated.

Quote:
I saw a neurosurgeon last Spring and he told me to hold off as long as possible, but I think that was because he only does fusion and he knows that a 3-level fusion for me is basically the beginning of the end. It will put a big strain on other parts of my neck which aren't normal to begin with....and we all know that means more fusion and that means eventually I won't be able to move my neck...So NO FUSION FOR ME!
I could not agree more! That is GREAT that you have the luxury of time to decide what to do. It sounds like you are using that time very wisely by educating yourself on your condition, available treatments, doctors, etc... That is the best way to have a positive outcome that I've ever seen.

Good luck!

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011