ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > ADR Frequently Asked Questions

ADR Frequently Asked Questions Find answers to commonly asked questions here. Please do not post comments here, but choose the appropriate forum to make comments on FAQs herein.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:32 AM

What is Pacing?

Most of us tend to keep going at a task until we are forced by pain to stop. We also tend to overdo things on a good day and then be unable to do anything much for the next few days. Pacing will ensure that you stop before the pain rises, you stay in control, not the pain. Pacing will make sure you're not trapped in the downward spiralling effect of the pain cycle of rest and over-activity and increased pain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Pace Yourself
Pacing is basically about breaking up tasks into shorter sections that you can do without increasing the pain. Pacing is also about planning your days to get a good balance of activities throughout the day and the week. Space activities out. Don't load all your activities on to one part of the day or on to one day of the week.

Vary your posture. For example, not too much sitting or standing at once, if they are your difficulties.

You have to decide how long it is reasonable for you to carry out any activity. Base it on how long you can do the activity without causing yourself any more pain, either during or after. Start at a lower level than you think is right for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For example:

If you can sit fairly comfortably for ten minutes, set a countdown timer for eight minutes only.

Over time, gradually begin to increase your sitting time, minute by minute.

Set your timer for the time you have allocated yourself, and when it rings, stop that activity and change to doing something else in a different position.

Break your tasks into sections. For example, when preparing a meal. If the meal takes 40 minutes to prepare, break it down into smaller units. Allow, say, 10 minutes for food preparation in four sessions, depending upon your personal limits for each activity. For example:

Stand for 10 minutes.

Sit for 10 minutes.

Rest for 5 minutes.

Perch for 5 minutes.

Stand for 5 minutes.

Sit for 10 minutes.

In this way you are:

Breaking the activity down into smaller units.

Timing yourself for each activity, and so remain in control.

Using different postural positions, so not overdoing one position.

Achieving your objective without increasing the pain.

Once you have your pain under more control, you can begin to set goals to aim for - goals to increase your activities. At a practical level, depending upon the type of pain you have, you may be able to help yourself in some of the following ways:

Don't lift heavy items.

Use a lumbar roll if you have a bad back.

Move items to a more convenient reaching height.

Raise your chair or bed so you get out of them more easily.

Reorganise kitchen/workspace to save yourself from walking backwards and forwards too much.

Take care with your posture (see the Alexander Technique on the Therapies page.

Each day:

Make time for one or two relaxation sessions.

Make time for your exercise programme.

Make time for at least 20 minutes of an enjoyable leisure activity.

Once you have your pain more under control you can go on to setting goals for yourself to improve your activity levels.

So Briefly

1. Break up tasks into short sessions. Little and often is the key.

2. Plan your days to get a good balance of activities throughout the day.

3. Don't load all your activities on to one part of the day or on to one day of the week.

4. Vary your posture and change position often: sit/stand/move around/exercise/walk.

5. Alternate heavy tasks with light tasks.

6. Change between repetitive movements, like typing, and non-repetitive movements, such as dusting or filing.

7. Arrange rest breaks throughout the day.

Harrison wrote a paper onrecovery here

I wrote a paper to help people prepare for recovery. You can find it on ADRSupport.org at:Recovering From ADR Surgery - One Patient�s Holistic Perspective
URL=http://www.adrsupport.org/post_op.html]www.adrsupport.org/post_op.html[/URL]

Talk to your friends - it helps.
This information is credited to Jan Sadler at

http://www.painsupport.co.uk

There are lots of things ADR patients can to help their recovery. We've talked about many of them -- the subtle routines involve getting the proper nutrition, building a strong immunity system and trying to get recuperative sleep.

The more physical things involve exercise, physical therapy, massage, stretching and even chiropractic adjustments. It's interesting to note that the only two times I hurt my back since I had ADR was from physical therapy!

That said, after almost two years of learning & sharing within this community, I recommend patients consider these recovery options:

- Frequent massage throughout the entire spine
- Monthly massage to reduce scar tissue in the surgical area
- Physical therapy at the patient's discretion, but the later the better. E.g. weight training later in your recovery to boost trunk and core strength and stamina
- Stretching in a manner thats appropriate, comfortable and initially defined by a licensed professional trained specifically in spine rehab

Some other options that may be appropriate for you include chiropractic manipulation. Some members here, like me, have found this to be very helpful. I believe chiros can help us considerably, with the caveat that finding the right one is almost as hard as finding a suitable spouse! As well, some chiros are reluctant to treat patients who have had ADR, as they may fear an unintended outcome. My chiro now treats me and we've seen remarkable results in my cervical & thoracic areas.

We've also talked about a simple but effective device to help you reach & massage trigger points. The Theracane is actually great pre or post-op and can apply concentrated pressure on almost any muscle knot you have. I highly recommend it for anyone.

I hope this helps some of you. But please remember, I am not a doctor or medical professional -- just an ADR patient. Caveat Emptor! (Alastair: Harrison is credited with this.)

Please see the paper on recovering from ADR at http://www.adrsupport.org/post_op.html
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/