ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:22 PM

Default L5/S1 multiple herniations considering SpinalKinetics M6-L

Hey all,

After a couple years of back troubles that you can read in my signature, I've been doing a ton of research on the SpinalKinetics M6-L disc. I just found this forum and have found a lot of great info here.

I had a micro-discectomy earlier this year, and the surgeon found a very large tear in the back of my disc. Almost 4 months later (a few weeks ago), after doing my exercise routine which consisted of pushups, pullups, and a number of various core strengthening exercises given to me during the month of post op PT (all of which I had consulted with my surgeon and phys. therapist and had cleared), I had muscle spasms and excruciating pain in my back. An MRI revealed a re-herniation with a small disc fragment. 3 weeks later and the pain has worsened. I am going in tomorrow for another MRI to see if the re-herniation has worsened.

My surgeon suspects the pullups may have torn the disc back open and said he would probably not advise them for a greater length of time in the future for his other patients. I had been very careful not to do anything remotely dangerous as I recovered and followed the recommendations to a T including sticking to the PT exercises for months religiously, walking at least 1 hour every day, taking glucosamine/MSM and collagen supplements just in case they had a chance of making a positive difference, and closely sticking to a good diet. I personally think my disc was very badly damaged already and it would have happened eventually. I had never really regained the ability to sit for very long (2 hours total in a day max), even post surgery, and this has been a huge quality of life issue restricting much of what I can do. Luckily I work from home as a Software Engineer and can do my job laying on my back.

I spoke with my surgeon today about possibly traveling to get an M6 in either England (Dr. Boeree), Spain (Dr. Clavel), or Germany (Dr. Ritter-Lang). He has done more ADR surgeries than anyone in MN, and thankfully said he would be supportive and help with pre and post-op care, if the MRI indicated a larger re-herniation. I see there are a large number of M6ers here and I have started to read each experience before I make my decision on who to choose. Right now I am leaning towards Dr. Boeree or Dr. Clavel.

Cost is somewhat of a consideration since I expect that I will have to come up with the cash for this myself as I'm guessing my insurance (BCBS of NY) probably won't cover it and may play into the decision, but not at the cost of quality care. So I am interested in any recent quotes anyone may have gotten as well as personal experiences, good and bad from both Dr.s

This looks like such a great forum. I can see so many people here going through exactly what I am, and I am blown away at the supportiveness of so many of the members here. What a great resource for people in my position.
2.5 months PT with 2 different PT clinics, little to no improvement
2010 - 4 epidural steroid injections, mixed results
1/2011 MRI revealed no change in herniation size
2/2011 L5/S1 microdiscectomy, disc found to have a very large tear
5/25/2011 MRI revealed re-herniated small disc fragment
http://timsbadback.blogspot.com/
Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Smile

Welcome to our humble community. Thank you for your eloquent introduction and taking the time to prepare a signature.

I hope we can support you with your next steps.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 PM

Recently,

Welcome and condolences on your condition.

I had a double M6-C by Clavel in 2009, and have had nothing but good results. If I have to have another spine surgery that BCBS-TX won't cover, I will return to Spain. Both Dr Clavel and Dr Boeree consistently churn out positive outcome after positive outcome, and I believe they are about the same cost. My cervical surgery was $27.5k. I do know that prices have gone up, and that your lumbar surgery will almost certainly cost much more. The exchange rate is currently more favorable than in 2009 when I had my surgery. Watching the unrest in the EU, Greece, Ireland, Portugal, etc... the exchange rate should continue only to improve.

As you are open to going out of country, there is a third surgeon that I've only ever read outstanding things about, who should warrant some research. That is Dr Luiz Pimenta in Brazil. I don't know anything about cost down there.

Whomever you select, good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 06-20-2011, 11:52 AM

i just got a price from Dr Clavel for a double cervical and it was almost $36,000.00 which included hotal for 2 and transportations to and from airport, and a price for a double adr lumbar was almost $45,000.00 also including hotel and transportation to and from airport and the price through Dr Bertagnoli is $51,254.00. with out hotel and transportation..
T2T3 disc bulging 2mm
T12L1 disc bulging
L4L5 disc protrution 5mm x 15mm
L5S1 disc protrution 4mm x 22mm

Dont know how or why this has happen life in general i guess
Old 06-20-2011, 02:25 PM

My double ADR price didn't include anything but the surgery related costs. No hotel, transportation, therapy, etc...
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM

I think you are on the right track. I am 35, herniation at 32, 3 years of pain now post double ADR M6. Do not get multi-part device if you plan on being active. M6 and Freedomdisc are the only real single piece devices on the market. You seem to be in a great shape you will do great.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM

Default Got the cost

Forgot to post it here, but I got the cost info back for Dr. Boeree. The inclusive costs for a single level L5-S1 disc replacement with an M6-L would be £18,300 (you can do the currency conversion if you're really interested). That covers everything connected with the hospital stay, including the pre-assessment visit and investigations, all the hospital charges, the surgeons and anaesthetists fees and physical therapy while at the hospital (and afterwards at the hospital while you stay in the locality).

I've got the surgery tentatively scheduled and will be keeping my blog up to date.
2.5 months PT with 2 different PT clinics, little to no improvement
2010 - 4 epidural steroid injections, mixed results
1/2011 MRI revealed no change in herniation size
2/2011 L5/S1 microdiscectomy, disc found to have a very large tear
5/25/2011 MRI revealed re-herniated small disc fragment
http://timsbadback.blogspot.com/
Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 AM

Recently,

I don't know that it helps, but I have never read an unkind word about Dr Boeree. From what I've seen, he's going to give you as good an outcome as you could possibly get. Please keep us posted.

Good luck, Jeff
Old 07-13-2011, 11:42 AM

DIDDO the above!
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/