ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:50 PM

Default C3-C7 problems

Hello all,

This is my very first post. I'm mid-50's, 28 years of computer work, no trauma...

I've had problems with neck and back for years. Usually, a good chiropractic adjustment helped for a while but the amount of time that an adjustment is good is getting shorter and shorter so I am looking into other options. I've also had physical therapy.

Surgeon #1 (after some prodding on my part) said an anterior discectomy and fusion could be considered if radicular symptoms were severe enough for the risks of surgery. He made comments that my C5/6 are "really" bad and C4/5 was "bad". I asked him about artificial discs and his response was that "fusion is the gold standard". End of story.

Surgeon #2 who I saw just recently was much better and way more helpful. He wanted the pain clinic to inject novacaine or something like that into the base of one of my nerves (I think C6) on the right side of my neck because most of my pain, numbness and tingling is on my right side although he did point out that the MRI shows problems on both sides of my C3-C6. I have this appointment in 4 weeks time. I record observations about my pain every hour for 8 hours. He said he thinks I have a pinched nerve and implied that he can do something about it but was not specific about what that would be. I inquired about ADR and he said the insurance companies in the state I live in will (might) approve 1 level but definitely not 2 level ADR.

While I am waiting for the "nerve numbing" procedure I've been doing some research and have made two separate inquiries about ADR to hospitals in India. I was surprised and disappointed when both came back with a recommendation of fusion. I can get THAT here in the US and it will be covered by my insurance. I don't WANT my neck fused.

I'm now looking into "Endoscopic Cervical Spine Surgery" which supposedly can treat Degenerative Disc Disease, Stenosis and Lysthesis.

So my questions are:

1) anyone have experience with "Endoscopic Cervical Spine Surgery" ?

2) Why are the surgeons (4 so far including 2 from India) all recommending fusion?

3) Should I spend $$ to get an opinion from a European surgeon?

thanks everyone.

1) Radiculopathy of cervical region
2) C3-4 retrolisthesis
3) C5-6 and C6-7 disc degeneration
4) Foramenal stenosis right C5-6.

Last edited by 4edo; 12-09-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Got the disc count wrong first time
Old 12-09-2012, 08:29 PM

Good lookin pup...You can send your info/MRI to Dr. Clavel in Spain, he will review for N/C. Lots of info on the forms with regards to Dr. Clavel.

Good luck,

Dean
Massage, chiro
4 shots, no relief
Ct, 3mri's
all activities stopped, day by day
DDD @ L5 S1
Examined by 3 surgeons,
Consulted with 2 out of country surg, all reco ADR
Surgery Oct. 26, 2012 by Dr. Bouchard, Pro Disc L
Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM

Default adr

i was going to tell you about Dr C in spain.i saw a surgeon just last week and was told he would fuse me at c4-5 c 5-6 and said c 6-7 is bad but he never does 3 at once.Dr C just got back to me after a week and said he could do a 3 level cervical adr. so send your mri its worth a try.

fred c
Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 PM

Sorry that you are going through this.

Definitely get an option from Europe. I had my surgery in Cyprus and heartily recommend getting another opinion. I sent my MRI to a company called the American Institute of Minimally Invasive Surgery or AIMIS for short. They have both US and international surgeons available for free MRI reviews. You can go to their website AIMIS - World Leading Spine Centre Organization and upload your scans. AIMIS kind of works as a co-op for American and international surgeons. They each have a special skill, but also work together too. I have a few posts about it here.

Feel free to contact/ PM me re: my surgical experience. My injuries are not the same as yours, but I too dealt with the "fusion is king" doctors. Don't give up hope!!

06/2012- Successful ADR surgery for C4/C5 disc in Cyprus using PCM by NuVasive. Performed by Dr. Mark Peterson through the help of AIMIS.

09/2012- Successful Disctectomy of L5/S1also performed by Dr. Mark Peterson.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 AM

2) Because it is the only thing insurance will pay for. Period.

3) YES!

Can't help you on #1. Sorry.

I have sent my info to the docs mentioned before, as well as Dr. Oliver in Barcelona, and Dr. Dare in the UK. I will be working up a complete list of all my symptoms in a document to send out since Dr. Dare asked me for that. He wants to treat me as a person, not my films.

My advice would be to have the surgery abroad. The technology they have been using for three decades still is "experimental" here and shows no signs of being "accepted" here any time in the next decade. If it were me, I wouldn't want to be fused. Not no way, not know how.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 AM

Dr. C. also gave me a quote for a three level ADR, so it is definitely worth your time.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Default more info and long summary

Hello all and thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I've also been in touch with Dr. M. in California who does endoscopic surgery. I sent them my MRI and he phoned me to review his findings. Basically, he said he can help me and his office gave me a quote although they were short on specifics - which in fairness I can understand using the "my car is broken" story to an auto mechanic and asking THEM for a quote - sight unseen - to fix it. Dr M's quote was reasonable for a low risk "minimally invasive" outpatient surgery with (IIRC) 88% outcomes of "good" or "very good". This was encouraging and it might still happen although not before end of year... I put my MRI files into a drop box and shared them with Dr C's office although they have not responded yet no doubt due to the holiday season. So here I am with, as I see it, three options:

1) Endoscopic surgery (which I call the "little hole, low risk, reasonable cost" option)

2) ADR surgery with one of the enlightened euro-practitioners (the "big hole, best doctor, some risk, somewhat big cost" option)

3) Do nothing and continue with chiro and PT.

Not surprisingly, I call option 3 the "no hole, no risk, no pain and no gain" option. To complicate things, my Brother-in-Law (nice guy, good husband, very thoughtful person) sent me a copy of "The Mindbody Prescription" and it says, in my way of summarizing it, that most neck and back pain can be attributable to psychological factors like internal rage, repressed emotions and stress and anxiety - regardless of physical evidence. The book even says (which blew me away) that "...the MRI has been a mixed blessing for people with pain syndromes. The herniated disc... <snip> ... all dependent on MRI for identification, have resulted in much well-meaning but needless surgery. (Italics mine).

That's where I am. If the smartest and most well educated people in the world cannot agree on something then what hope does the patient have?

oh well.

At least there's lots of good information out there. Trouble is that there is no general agreement on the way forward.

happy holidays all

1) Radiculopathy of cervical region
2) C3-4 retrolisthesis
3) C5-6 and C6-7 disc degeneration
4) Foramenal stenosis right C5-6.