ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Hi all.

One of the things I try to do for patients is “condition-specific” research, which is admittedly informal but nonetheless focused on their needs. I try to search through a wide range of authoritative publications; I even go to libraries (ya know, the places with all the books).

I had an interesting but unsettling conversation tonight with a patient that is considering ADR, but learned of some system bone density issues he is facing. I did some research on his behalf, but was reminded of past conversations with other patients with similar symptoms and metabolic (bone) disorders. Some of these articles are below.

So my question – where the heck are all the research dollars that could be answering the questions that these studies seem to raise? Do the answers that research might reveal matter to patients within this community?

I can't help but to notice the international "flavor" of the few citations I found on this subject...

Bone Mineral Density Loss in HCV

Reported by Jules Levin

DECREASED BONE MINERAL DENSITY IN NONCIRRHOTIC PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC HEPATITIS B OR C

Ingolf Schiefke 1 , Gudrun Borte 2 , Manfred Wiese 3 , Eva Schenker 1 , A. Fach 1 Department of Gastroenterology, University of Leipzig; 2 Department of Radiology, University of Leipzig; 3 Muncipal Hospital `St. Georg', Teaching Hospital of the University of Leipzig, Germany

Background/Aims: Several previous studies suggest that loss of bone mineral density is common among patients with chronic liver diseases. We studied bone mineral metabolism and density in patients with chronic hepatitis B or C without cirrhosis.

Methods: Biochemical markers of bone turnover and bone mineral density were measured in 42 consecutive patients. They are suffering from viral hepatitis B (n = 13) and hepatitis C (n = 29). Bone mineral density was measured by dual x-ray absorptiometry in the lumbar spine and femoral neck. The values were expressed as the T and Z score. Bone metabolism markers and hormone profiles were measured.

Results: Bone mineral density was lowered in 29 (69%) of our investigated 42 patients with chronic hepatitis B or C (femoral neck: 0.711 ± 0.129 g/cm*cm; lumbar spine: 0.951 ± 0.126 g/cm*cm). 8 of the 29 osteopenic patients (28%) have osteoporosis. T-score value in chronic Hepatitis C patients was more decreased (femoral neck T: •1.59 ± 0.98; lumbar spine T: •1.10 ± 1.09) compared with patients with chronic hepatitis B (femoral neck T: •1.31 ± 1.00; lumbar spine T: •0.79 ± 1.29). Serum and urine biochemical markers were within the normal limits in both groups.

Conclusion: Chronic hepatitis B or C in noncirrhotic patients may induce bone loss. In view of our results and according to previous studies this secondary effect of chronic hepatitis should be further investigated in following studies with larger number of included patients. Markers of bonemetabolism and bone mineral density might be used in monitoring these patients to reduced their risk of developing osteoporosis.

-----------------------------

Painful postoperative neuritis is common after lumbar decompression in patients with hepatitis B and C. The Spine Journal, Volume 4, Issue 5, Pages S69-S70 N. Ahn, U. Ahn, J. Datta, B. Ipsen, H. Basran, Z. Post, T. Salsbury, W. Reed, Jr., A. Bailey, W. Hopkins

Reduced bone mineral density and altered bone turnover markers in patients with non-cirrhotic chronic hepatitis B or C infection.
Schiefke I, Fach A, Wiedmann M, Aretin AV, Schenker E, Borte G, Wiese M, Moessner J.
Department of Medicine II, University of Leipzig, Philipp-Rosenthal Str. 27, 04103 Leipzig, Germany. schi@medizin.uni-leipzig.de
AIM: Previous studies suggest that loss of bone mineral density (BMD) frequently occurs in patients with chronic viral liver disease, presenting with histologically proven liver cirrhosis. However, little is known about the occurrence of bone disease in non-cirrhotic patients with chronic hepatitis B or C. Therefore, it was the aim of this study to evaluate this particular population for BMD and bone turnover markers. METHODS: Biochemical markers of bone turnover and BMD were measured in 43 consecutive patients with HCV (n = 30) or HBV (n = 13) infection without histological evidence for liver cirrhosis. Mean age was 49 years (range 26-77 years). BMD was measured by dual X-ray absorptiometry in the femoral neck (FN) and the lumbar spine (LS) region. In addition, bone metabolism markers were measured. RESULTS: BMD was lowered in 25 (58%) of the patients with chronic hepatitis B or C (FN: 0.76 (0.53-0.99); LS: 0.96 (0.62-1.23) g/cm(2)). Eight (32%) osteopenic patients were diagnosed with osteoporosis. Bone-specific alkaline phosphatase (P = 0.005) and intact parathyroid hormone (iPTH) (P = 0.001) were significantly elevated in the more advanced stages of fibrosis. Mean T-score value was lower in patients with chronic hepatitis C as compared to patients suffering from chronic hepatitis B; however, the difference was not statistically significant (P = 0.09). CONCLUSION: There was a significantly reduced BMD in non-cirrhotic patients with chronic hepatitis B or C infection. Alterations of bone metabolism already occurred in advanced liver fibrosis without cirrhosis. According to our results, these secondary effects of chronic viral hepatitis should be further investigated.

Multiple sclerosis after hepatitis B vaccination in a 16-year-old patient
Daniella Terney, Sándor Beniczky, Péter Barsi, István Kondákor, József Perényi, Béla Faludi, Magdolna Szapper, László Vécsei
Daniella Terney Department of Neurology, Albert Szent-Gy?rgyi Medical and Pharmaceutical Centre, University of Szeged, P.O. Box 427, H-6701 Szeged, Hungary; Sándor Beniczky Department of Neurology, Albert Szent-Gy?rgyi Medical and Pharmaceutical Centre, University of Szeged, P.O. Box 427, H-6701 Szeged, Hungary; Péter Barsi Department of Radiology, OPNI, H?v?sv?lgyi út 116, H-1021 Budapest, Hungary; István Kondákor Department of Neurology, University of Pécs, Rét u. 2, H-7623 Pécs, Hungary; József Perényi Department of Neurology, OPNI, H?v?sv?lgyi út 116, H-1021 Budapest, Hungary; Béla Faludi Department of Neurology, University of Pécs, Rét u. 2, H-7623 Pécs, Hungary; Magdolna Szapper Department of Neurology, OPNI, H?v?sv?lgyi út 116, H-1021 Budapest, Hungary; László Vécsei Department of Neurology, Albert Szent-Gy?rgyi Medical and Pharmaceutical Centre, University of Szeged, P.O. Box 427, H-6701 Szeged, Hungary

Correspondence to: László Vécsei Department of Neurology, University of Szeged , Semmelweis u. 6 , H-6725 Szeged, Hungary (Tel:36-62-545351 Fax:36-62-545597 Email:vecsei@nepsy.szote.u-szeged.hu )

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-06-2007, 07:46 PM

A curiosity is; what is Chronic Hepatitis B? I tested positive for Hepatitis B many years ago. It is a common problem for people who worked in hospitals and ended up being exposed. Some hospitals pay for their staff to be immunized with the three shot series. I cannot for the life of me remember if I was immunized and that is why I test positive or if I was exposed while working at the hospital.

Scary thing is I have never had a bone density test. I sure don't feel brittle at almost 51 years of age and with minor fractures and a shattered clavicle during a bicycle accident. Other than that I have had little difficulties with bone issues.

What's the verdict Harrison?

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 PM

Very interesting. I just had a bone mineral density test last month, as I thought it prudent in light of what Dr. B saw during my surgery: soft, porous bones, hence the need for vertebroplasties at 3 levels surrounding artificial discs. I had had a fine bone density reading prior to the surgery. So, imagine my surprise, when once again, with this different test, it came back quite normal...my calcium levels just fine, etc., etc. I don't even take a supplement, but I drink a ton of milk, consume yogurt, love cheese. I put a call into the doctor to ask what's up with all this confusion over the health of my bones. Hope to hear back tomorrow. Weird, huh. If my bones are indeed soft and porous, as a middle aged, post menopausal woman, I would certainly like to be on something to prevent osteo....yeah, that word. I can't spell anymore tonight.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Cindy, you raise some good points. And we definitely need to hone in on the many issues in bone density testing; there are too many problems to list here! More on this soon.

Terry, this is a very complex issue as you know. All I can say is that after many years, and a slew of inconclusive articles, some people have been seriously affected by the vaccination. Based on literature (and CDC data, which IMHO is incomplete), there would appear to be a low complication rate.

For what it’s worth, I’ve talked to (app.) five people in the last year who happen to be health care workers that were vaccinated with Hep B and appear to have major multi-level spine problems.

Please folks, I am not making sweeping generalizations; I am just trying to discuss some information that was inspired by past conversations. It’s up to you to do more research (if you have the time & patience) and ask more questions.

That said, I hope these citations help us all rethink the sophistication and fragility of the immune system and its infinitely complex relationship to spine health.

Finally, a disclaimer from me: as I was in the National Guard many years ago, my arm was vaccinated like a pincushion! I had more dead bugs injected me than I want to think about; so this issue is a tricky one for me.

Happy reading.

Excerpts from a Discussion of Hep B Vaccination Risks: http://www.immunesupport.com/library.../1/T/CFIDS_FM/

France Terminates HepB Vaccinations
Autoimmune and fatiguing diseases can also occur in adults that receive vaccines. Alarmed over the world-wide rate of hepatitis B infections, the U.S. and Canada have pushed the hepatitis B (hepB) vaccine, even though hepatitis B infections in North America were reported to be less than 10,000 in 1997, with only about 300 occurring in children under the age of 14.

Almost all of these patients recover from their hepatitis B infections and have permanent immunity to the virus. In the U.S. and Canada, health many care and other workers are required to get a hepatitis B vaccination, and a new recombinant DNA hepB vaccine has been promoted as a safe, effective vaccine against hepatitis B. However, this new hepB vaccine may cause chronic illnesses, such as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases.

Professor Bonnie Dunbar of Baylor College of Medicine in Houston reports that the hepB vaccine may cause autoimmune disease by tricking the immune system to attack itself. The reason for this may reside in the amino acid sequences programmed by the recombinant DNA vaccine. Some of these polypeptide sequences appear to mimic some of the normal sequences on the cell surfaces of nerve cells present in the human brain. Thus, immunization with the hepB recombinant vaccine may increase the risk of autoimmunity.

Recently, France became the first country to terminate a hepB vaccine program. The French Ministry of Health acted when complaints of multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other illnesses in patients who received the hepB vaccine were reported.

--------------------------------------

Excerpts from the AMA site on Hep B vaccinations:
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/1809.html

What are possible serious side effects?

Serious side effects after administration of the hepatitis B vaccine are extremely rare. There have been some anecdotal reports of the association of hepatitis B vaccination with chronic illness such as autoimmune disorders. However, there have been no scientific data supporting these claims. Large-scale immunization exercises have been ongoing in many other countries and in the United States, and thus far there has been no association of hepatitis B vaccination with serious adverse events. No clear association has been demonstrated between hepatitis B vaccination and disorders such as Guillain-Barre syndrome, transverse myelitis, optic neuritis, and seizures. Even then, such alleged associations are still being studied to further ensure the safety of the vaccine. A recent study demonstrated that persons who developed rheumatoid arthritis following hepatitis B vaccination were actually genetically susceptible to rheumatoid arthritis, making it difficult to correlate the occurrence of rheumatoid arthritis with hepatitis B vaccination. Considering the large number of doses of HBV vaccine administered and the very low numbers of serious adverse reactions, it is possible that adverse reactions reported after hepatitis B vaccination may represent coincidence rather than causation.

Is the hepatitis B vaccine safe?

Yes. The hepatitis B vaccines have been administered to more than 20 million people in the United States and more than 500 million people in the world. The most common side effects of vaccination are pain at the injection site (3%-29%) and/or a mild fever (1%-6%). However, these side effects are related to the injection event and not to the hepatitis B vaccine itself as persons receiving placebo injections also reported similar reactions.

What is the treatment for hepatitis B?

There is no known cure for hepatitis B. Thus, prevention is the best option to dealing with this disease. Currently, the only Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved medicines for treatment of hepatitis B are interferon alpha and lamivudine. Interferon alpha, which is administered via injections, often has side effects, some of which may be severe, and is usually used only for persons whose liver enzyme tests are abnormal. The FDA recently approved Lamivudine in December 1998 for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B in adults. This DNA polymerase inhibitor was originally used for treatment of HIV, and unlike interferon alpha, is available in oral form and appears to have fewer side effects. However, there is a significant risk of viral mutations leading to drug resistance thereby diminishing the drug’s effectiveness. Please consult a physician regarding the therapeutic benefits and side effects of any of these treatments.

What is the hepatitis B vaccine?

The hepatitis B vaccine has been available since 1982. The vaccines currently in use in the United States are made with recombinant DNA technology, and contain protein portions of HBV (usually parts of the outer protein or the surface antigen of HBV). Thus, the vaccines do not contain any live virus. The vaccine is administered intramuscularly in three doses usually given on a schedule of 0,1, and 6 months, but there can be flexibility in this schedule. More than 95% of children and adolescents and more than 90% of young, healthy adults develop adequate immunity following the recommended three doses. Persons who respond to the vaccine are protected from both acute hepatitis B infections as well as chronic infection.

An Ethics Discussion on Big Pharma’s Role in Treating Hep B:

Drug Giant's Spin May Obscure Risk
By Deborah Nelson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, March 18, 2001; Page A14

An excerpt:
“…While there is evidence that long-term treatment produces lasting improvement in some patients, the mutant virus risk rises dramatically over time -- infecting one-fourth of study participants after one year of treatment and 67 percent after four years…”

Full article at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...0349-2001Mar17

Excerpts from a site that describes international research:
http://www.healing-arts.org/children/vaccines/vaccines-...tis-b-.htm#hepatitis

“…Suggestions also arose that all vaccines, including hepatitis B, could shift the immune system toward an auto-immune direction, shifting from Th1 to Th2 cytokine production, thereby encouraging the expression of auto-immune disease, including autism, among individuals rendered susceptible by other mechanisms.

There are three hypotheses that could explain the observed cases of demyelinating disorders following HB vaccine:

1. Coincidence: due to the large number of HB vaccine doses administered, many of them in age groups where symptoms of MS first occur.

2. "Triggering": an increased risk of symptomatic demyelination following HB vaccine which would act as a "trigger" in individuals predisposed to develop MS or central nervous system (CNS) demyelinating diseases. These individuals would have developed demyelination with or without an altered natural history following some immunologic or other precipitating factor.

3. A true causal relationship between HB vaccination and MS or other CNS demyelinating disease.

Evidence to support the first hypothesis includes the fact that no statistically significant association was found between hepatitis B vaccine and MS in the limited studies conducted to date. Further, the age and sex distributions of MS cases reported through spontaneous reporting systems match the recognised age and sex distribution of MS cases that preceded the use of the vaccine and are not correlated with vaccine administration…”

Bol Asoc Med P R. 2003 Nov-Dec;95(6):13-6.
Polymyositis: rare complication of hepatitis B vaccination. An unusual cause of toxic shock syndrome.

Ramírez-Rivera J, Vega-Cruz AM, Jaume-Anselmi F.
Universidad Central del Caribe. ramirj@hotmail.com

Transient weakness of the legs developed in a 17 year-old male high school student three weeks after the initial injection of a hepatitis B vaccine. Seventeen days after the second injection of the vaccine, low-grade fever, a pruritic maculopapular rash appeared and weakness of the legs recurred. This was associated with elevation of the creatinine kinase to 2,406 U/L. The day after admission he became afebrile and in the subsequent four days the rash improved but leg weakness persisted.

One-month later, muscle strength had returned; and the creatinine kinase had returned to normal levels. The only case of dermatomyositis associated with hepatitis B vaccination and the findings in the six reported cases of surface antigen-positive hepatitis associated with polyomyositis or dermatomyositis are briefly reviewed.

Hepatitis B vaccination should be encouraged, but it is important to be aware that, rarely, dermatomyositis, polymyositis or neurovascular complications may occur. Polymyositis associated with the administration of the hepatitis B vaccine or with hepatitis B virus infection is a rare occurrence. A Medline Search performed from 1960 to January 2002 associating hepatitis B vaccine or hepatitis B virus with myopathy, myositis, polymyositis and dermatomyositis, showed only one case of dermatomyositis related to the hepatitis B vaccine, and six case reports relating polymyositis to hepatitis B virus infection. We present a case where a causal relationship between polymyositis and hepatitis B vaccination appears quite likely.

Acute transverse cervical myelitis following hepatitis B vaccination. Evolution of anti-HBs antibodies [Article in French]

Renard JL, Guillamo JS, Ramirez JM, Taillia H, Felten D, Buisson Y. Clinique de neurologie, HIA Val-de-Grâce, Paris.

BACKGROUND: The cause and effect relationship between anti-HBV immunization using recombinant vaccine and the development of a neurological event, including flare-ups of multiple sclerosis, is a widely debated issue. CASE REPORT: A previously asymptomatic 16-year-old girl was a hyper-responder to anti-HBV vaccine. Subsequent to a booster shot of anti-HBV recombinant vaccine, she developed regressive acute cervical transverse myelitis with intrathecal oligochonal IgG secretion and a hypersignal on the MRI T2 sequences of the cord. DISCUSSION: The distinction between a first episode of multiple sclerosis or post-vaccinal acute myelitis in this case will depend upon subsequent course, but this observation points out the very high level of persistent post-vaccinal immunization which can be acquired by a hyper-responder.
PMID: 10442059 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

CDC Site on Vaccinations:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h.../b/factvax.htm

Old 09-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

One more interesting tidbit -- a member told me that one version of HepB vaccine was (in addition to France) discontinued in the UK years ago.

Any comments or insights on this is appreciated.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Administrator

OK, I continue to digress a bit here, but here's an interesting tid bit...an excerpt from Dr. William Wong, ND, PhD.

I am not saying I completely agree with this, but my conversations with patients are surely leading me to realize greater risks associated with some/many vaccinations.

If anyone can locate the orginal reference cited herein, I'll be grateful if you send it along. I'd like to learn more about this from both literature and patients' experiences.

Thanks.

...Every virus you've ever acquired either from exposure or injection (like the polio shot), is "alive" and well and sleeping next to your spinal chord! A recent issue of the Lancet, the prestigious journal of the British Medical Association, reported that out of 140 patients with chronic lower back pain, 114 of them had viruses that had migrated from where they were "sleeping" and had seeped into the injury, causing chronic inflammatory conditions. Many folks are familiar with Chicken Pox coming back to haunt seniors with suppressed immune systems as the disease of Shingles (Herpes Zoster), or as it's extremely painful and potentially deadly cousin Herpatic Neuralgia (permanent nerve pain caused by the Herpes). Many of the viruses we were injected with as children in the good faith effort to keep us from getting infections have come back to haunt us in later life..."
Old 09-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

In case you missed this report about a clinical trial death -- a tragedy that continues this unusual & complicated topic:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20...AR2007091701588.html

Role of Gene Therapy In Death Called Unclear
NIH Panel: No Evidence of Direct Link

By Rick Weiss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 18, 2007; Page A04

Postmortem tests on an Illinois woman who died mysteriously in July after getting an experimental gene treatment show no evidence that she was killed directly by the genetically altered viruses she was given, a committee of experts was told yesterday.