ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:28 AM

Default This is it. A few more hours and a few nerves.

Well, I'm supposed to wake up in 2 hours to leave for the hospital. Somehow, I'm not thinking this will be a problem since I doubt I'll make it to sleep at all. Strangely enough, considering my choice, surgery is actually a phobia of mine so on top of my general jitters over keeping expectations on an even keel (thinking positive but not expecting a cure all miracle) I've got the what if's running through my head at a pretty whirlwind pace. Thankfully I hear they have these nice relaxing shots they can give you before.

So, while I've read a lot about everyone being excited, did anybody find themselves a bit nervous before or am I just being an over reactive baby?

I'm confident I've made the right choice for procedure.
I trust my surgeon. My family is amazing and incredibly supportive etc...
However, my biggest question that I'm obsessing over tonight/this morning and trying to answer/resolve is... What now? After almost 20 years of pain, arguing with doctors, horrible drugs & what seems like endless amounts of tears, what in the world am I going to do with myself if this turns out the way I hope and expect it to? What will I do if it doesn't? Did I mention I'm a hit neurotic?

Anyway, I'll try my best to keep everyone updated under the "after stories" section and promise to answer my PM about quitting smoking very soon but at the moment I would love to hear what ya'll thought about or maybe questioned the night or few days before or if, frankly, I'm just over reacting and a bit too uptight/crazy?

It's August 23, 2013!
There's no turning back now! Here's to a new life path and what promises to be an amazing future regardless of the outcome!

April 1995: L4/L5 & L5/S1 rupture (no injury & still no known cause. I was 22yo)
1995-2013 A long, insane dance with a healthcare saga including doctors from hell & heaven with never ending pain.
July 2013: Insurance approval for a 2 level ADR!
Surgery Scheduled: August 23, 2013
Old 08-23-2013, 03:31 AM

Hi,

Yes, surgery is a scary thing. Just put yourself in a kind of lock down mode. Nothing is as important than your surgery as you don't have to be focused on and thing else.
Don't worry about how you'll do after surgery just take it one day at a time.
Let us know how You are doing post op when your up to it.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:40 AM

Default Adr

Good luck today!!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 AM

Best of luck - I think your concerns are perfectly normal!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:32 AM

You are only saying what everyone is thinking. Even the most minor surgeries can be scary - we don't like the unknown and not being in control.

Keep a positive outlook and my prayers are with you for a successful recovery and a NEW YOU! 20 years of pain will now be in the past.

Waiting to hear your good news!
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 AM

YES, all the mixed emotions are normal, there would be something wrong if you were not having them! Stay focused on what brought you to the point of making a decision of surigical intervention and know that you would have not put all this time and energy into this decision if it was not the right one. Let yourself fall a bit into auto pilot mode and just keep moving forward.

GOOD LUCK, looking forward to hearing your success story!
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Smile

I hope and pray everything went well today, Jen. Peace and healing to you!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate