ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Default FDA - potential risks associated with ADR?

I really appreciate the information that is being provided. Thank you!
On my quest for information regarding a possible link to prodisc C and autoimmune disease, I came across information from the FDA on the prodisc C. As with any medical procedure or medication, all potential risks are listed as possible. I found it interesting that the FDA lists autoimmune disease as a risk that is associated with TDR. Was I pre-disposed to autoimmune disease and this was triggered by surgery or is it possible that the disc itself caused the autoimmune response? I'm still not convinced on either possibility but find this very interesting.

FDA Under Labeling PDF - Page 9 paragraph 3
Risks associated with the total disc implant in the cervical spine are: early or late
loosening of the components; disassembly; bending or breakage of any or all of the
components; implant migration; malpositioning of the implant; loss of purchase; sizing
issues with components; anatomical or technical difficulties; implant fracture; bone
fracture; skin penetration; irritation, pain, bursitis resulting from pressure on the skin
from component parts in patients with inadequate tissue coverage; foreign body reaction
to the implants including possible tumor formation, autoimmune disease, metallosis,
and/or scarring; possible tissue reaction; bone resorption; bone formation that may reduce
spinal motion or result in a fusion, either at the treated level or at adjacent levels;
development of new radiculopathy; myelopathy or pain; tissue or nerve damage caused
by improper positioning and placement of implants or instruments; loss of neurological
function; decreased strength of extremities; decreased reflexes; appearance of cord or
nerve root injury; loss of bowel and/or bladder control; and interference with
radiographic imaging because of the presence of the implant;

I am on many medications now and find that if I do not take my nerve medication the pain is nearly unbearable. My Rheumy thinks a lot of my pain is associated to the nerves from my neck. Life is good, we just have to adapt!!
45yr female -may 2011 MRI showed 4.4 mm right disc extrusion @ c4/5. Bulge left @ c5/c6. Left extrusion w/ ventral cord compression & severe nerve encroachment c6/C7. Oct 2011 ADR Prodisc-C Surgery at c6/c7. April 2012 left tricep damage 50%. Left shoulder surgery 6/12 - developed Autoimmune disease after disc replacement.