ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Post Bartonella - from ticks or cats

In this case study, the Bartonella invaded the spinal vertebrae. See images herein.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...30043316300024
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-04-2018, 01:42 AM

FYI, the current thinking is that you cannot get Bartonella from a cat unless that cat has fleas. Yet another argument for good flea preventatives. Don't give up your cat, take care of it!
May 2016: start of more severe, frequent episodes
October 2017: start of constant mild to moderate disability and moderate to severe pain
Multiple US doctors shrug their shoulders and basically can't help, dismiss ADR as valid option
December 2017: Found ADR Support forum, start pursuing consultation
February 2018: surgery with Dr. Clavel at Hospital Quiron using Spinal Kinetics M6-L
Old 01-06-2018, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Rob, not sure whose current thinking that is -- it's not accurate. Bartonella is contagious -- even from your loved ones. E.g., saliva, sex, etc. as is the case with Lyme disease. Gram negative bacteria are often very good at adapting and even changing forms (phenotypes).

It's funny you say that, as I have cats that I got from rescue shelters. I got Bart from one of them, and here's the proof. My blood draw and microscopy at International Biocare in Tijuana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQWggZSS5t4

Try to watch the whole thing. If not, skip to 4:50 to see the Bartonella attaching to my red blood cells.

My other videos are here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ADRSupport/videos

Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:29 AM

I'm a veterinarian... and while I'm no expert on the human ramifications, what I said above is cutting edge from a cat medicine expert at a university. Unpublished, but his statement verbatim. I won't name him so as not to get anyone in trouble. Without flea infestation, cats infected with Bartonella could not transmit.

By the way, maybe there is confusion about which Bartonella species? I was specifically referring to henselae, from "cat scratch fever."

From the CDC:
Cat scratch disease (CSD), Bartonella henselae
People can get CSD from the scratches of domestic or feral cats, particularly kittens. The disease occurs most frequently in children under 15. Cats can harbor infected fleas that carry Bartonella bacteria. These bacteria can be transmitted from a cat to a person during a scratch. Some evidence suggests that CSD may be transmitted directly to humans by the bite of infected cat fleas, although this has not been proven.

CSD occurs worldwide and may be present wherever cats are found. Stray cats may be more likely than pets to carry Bartonella. In the United States, most cases of CSD occur in the fall and winter.

Ticks may carry some species of Bartonella bacteria, but there is currently no convincing evidence that ticks can transmit Bartonella infection to humans.
May 2016: start of more severe, frequent episodes
October 2017: start of constant mild to moderate disability and moderate to severe pain
Multiple US doctors shrug their shoulders and basically can't help, dismiss ADR as valid option
December 2017: Found ADR Support forum, start pursuing consultation
February 2018: surgery with Dr. Clavel at Hospital Quiron using Spinal Kinetics M6-L
Old 01-08-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfoxdvm View Post
FYI, the current thinking is that you cannot get Bartonella from a cat unless that cat has fleas. Yet another argument for good flea preventatives. Don't give up your cat, take care of it!
Honestly, that scares me a bit. After all, it's not unheard of for cats to have fleas. Say your cat does have fleas and Bartonella, what are the odds of getting it in this scenario?
Old 01-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Rob, it looks like you got that directly from the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/bartonella/transmission/index.html

"...Ticks may carry some species of Bartonella bacteria, but there is currently no convincing evidence that ticks can transmit Bartonella infection to humans..."

The Center for Disease Continuance has been historically incompetent in the matters of Lyme disease. I recently interviewed an entomologist on camera and will publish the interview in 3-4 weeks. These topics are covered.

For now, see:

https://rawlsmd.com/health-articles/...ing-bartonella