ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:33 PM

Default Stopping Vitamins & Supplements prior to surgery

I know there are some pretty smart people on this forum, so just looking for people’s thoughts on which vitamins & mineral supplements / fish oils, etc, should be stopped prior to having surgery? I’ve been told to stop taking everything, but that seems a little extreme.
Aug 2015 - X-Ray & MRI show DDD at L3/L4, L4/L5, and L5/S1, with severe herniation and loss of disc height at L4/L5.
Sept 2015 - Two epidural cortisone injections at L4/L5.
Apr 2019 - Updated x-rays & MRI show further deterioration of discs from L3-S1, with bone-on-bone at L4/L5.
June 2019 - Three level ADR scheduled
Old 05-18-2019, 07:22 PM

There's a fair bit of stuff out there that has unintended or secondary effects as blood thinners. That might be why you're getting such draconian direction. There's probably other reasons that someone with more medical training might be able to offer but we recently ran into a problem when Laura had a harder time recovering from a dental procedure because her normal diet and supplements loaded her up with natural blood thinning agents.

How long are they recommending you get off the supplements? If it's a few days and you eat a varied diet, you might not have any problems; presuming, of course, you're not on the supplements to treat a specific condition. If it's longer than a few days and/or you need to be on the supplements, I'd check with the surgeon's office to see what the logic was. A lot of times, they really mean that they don't want you taking pills, other than the minimum absolutely necessary the day of surgery but fail to communicate that correctly and lead one to think that you shouldn't take anything for weeks ahead of the surgery.

If you don't get answer from the surgeon but still want to take something for your general health, you might want to confine yourself to water-solubles like vitamin C and B12 and limit how much you take of the less easily metabolized things like D and E, trying to get as much as you can of what you need through your diet.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 05-21-2019, 03:21 PM

Thanks Anna. I don't take vitamins or supplements for any specific condition other than to ensure I'm getting a good dose of nutrients every day. I'm aware Vitamin E and Omega-3 can cause thinning of blood, but seems the doctors are either being lazy or over cautious in suggesting stopping everything 10 days in advance. Most of vitamins and mineral supplements reduce to trace levels after 4 or 5 days of stopping them.
Aug 2015 - X-Ray & MRI show DDD at L3/L4, L4/L5, and L5/S1, with severe herniation and loss of disc height at L4/L5.
Sept 2015 - Two epidural cortisone injections at L4/L5.
Apr 2019 - Updated x-rays & MRI show further deterioration of discs from L3-S1, with bone-on-bone at L4/L5.
June 2019 - Three level ADR scheduled
Old 08-22-2019, 03:46 PM

Default Only the few I see already mentioned

Obviously in addition to Omega of any kind, and vitamin E, you'll want to stay clear of any NSAIDs.
Possibly even tumeric (curcumin).
I stopped mine only a week before and I was fine.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany

Last edited by Cheryl0331; 08-22-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Grammar